• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I Learned at Culinary School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked in to this some more for myself. I found that L'Academie Culinaire in Montreal offers a 24 hour Techniques de base course for $840. It seems cheap, but if it teaches me 60% of what Manton's teaches him at 1/8th the cost, I'd be fine with that.

Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa is much more expensive. Basically 8k per level and I'm not sure how long the courses are. I don't see anything for amateurs except really short courses.

If I'm still in montreal for a while after i get back I'll think about the AC one. It's not like i'm gonna be a professional chef.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I looked in to this some more for myself. I found that L'Academie Culinaire in Montreal offers a 24 hour Techniques de base course for $840. It seems cheap, but if it teaches me 60% of what Manton's teaches him at 1/8th the cost, I'd be fine with that.

Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa is much more expensive. Basically 8k per level and I'm not sure how long the courses are. I don't see anything for amateurs except really short courses.

If I'm still in montreal for a while after i get back I'll think about the AC one. It's not like i'm gonna be a professional chef.

It's worth it though. You have to eat every day until you die. Might as well make the experience fun.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is "fun"?

Another interesting post. Tx.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
This is "fun"?
It is a huge amount of fun, if you have a certain cast of mind.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can see how I could get obsessive about improving my skillz, but being treated like a child by some overbearing French chef still wouldn't be my idea of fun. I prefer to benefit from the fruits of others' fun. <hint, hint>

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see how I could get obsessive about improving my skillz, but being treated like a child by some overbearing French chef still wouldn't be my idea of fun. I prefer to benefit from the fruits of others' fun. <hint, hint>

Take it you never played sports in highschool?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

how many sessions is that? is that a long weekend, or a few weeks?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Take it you never played sports in highschool?

I did, and I didn't like it then either. So I quit. Moreover, I'm very happy to no longer be in high school and have no desire to return to any condition approximating it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did, and I didn't like it then either. So I quit. Moreover, I'm very happy to no longer be in high school and have no desire to return to any condition approximating it.

Yea, I'd stay away from a pro kitchen then.

There tends to be a lot of yelling and verbal abuse. I don't think anyone truly enjoys that, it just goes with the territory.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I must be making him sound meaner than he is. I like him a lot. The fact that he is tough makes the class much more fun (for me) and makes me work harder and learn more. In retrospect, it's clear that the Knife Skills class was too milquetoast.

I think there is a wink in his eye when he ***** with us. Now, the bottom three people undoubtedly do not enjoy it as much as I do.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There was no class last week (Jan 17); the next one is this Saturday.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
how many sessions is that? is that a long weekend, or a few weeks?

8 weeks 3 hours each? Not sure.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ah. looking forward to the next post. don't forget your camera!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads