• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupid G Commercial

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone watching the bowl games on Fox this week has been subjected to those awful ******* "What is G" commercials by now. They are borderline illiterate and clearly intended to be mysterious and epic but they just suck. In particular, the white-masked dance guys (I gather they are some cool dance crew) creep me out and the whole thing is lame, lame, lame.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what they're about and don't care. Advertising failure.

aprogressivone

Reaction score
Gatorade is banking on lil wayne voice. . .LOL The dance crew are the jabbawockeez. The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aprogressivone
The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.

I don't know. I barely care, y'know?

If it's a success, it's a very minor one.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aprogressivone
Gatorade is banking on lil wayne voice. . .LOL The dance crew are the jabbawockeez. The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.

How? I have no idea what they're advertising.

zeni

Reaction score
I caught one of these during the Ole Miss v Texas Tech game. 'g is a lower-case God' etc. Terrible indeed, and long. I had to change the channel.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're talking about it. That's the goal of advertising. Get people to talk about it all over the place.

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/1...nline-what.cfm

I think these ad campaigns are lame, lame, lame. Obviously, yes, the idea is to have people standing around the water cooler talking about them, but I think they say more about the American advertising model than they do about the product in question.

The agency that created this ad gets to point out to the advertiser (after spending tens of millions of their dollars on the creative and the media placement during the BCS bowl games) "look how many google searches there were for 'What is G?' the next day," supposedly justifying the expense. In the meantime, most people either didn't bother to look it up, or like me, are irritated that we had to look it up. Worse, other people (as we see in this thread) think it was a Nike ad.

I know what the theory is behind this, but I think it's a flawed theory invented by professional marketers to line their own pockets, rather than a genuinely effective branding strategy.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It's not a Nike ad? What is it?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gatorade.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're talking about it. That's the goal of advertising. Get people to talk about it all over the place.

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/1...nline-what.cfm

No, the goal of advertising is to get people to recognize a product or service. If it weren't for this thread I'd have no idea what the heck they're advertising.

Nike does a much better job because they use their logo and everyone knows the Swoosh.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
I'll bet part of their intention was to irritate people who have a propensity for criticism. People like that are usually incapable of keeping their opinions to themselves, so they voice it -- on the street, at work, to their friends, on forums.

"Did you guys see that 'what is G' commercial? What a god awful waste of time that was. I don't even know what it was promoting."

Of course, there'll be people around him who didn't know about the commercial, and BOOM -- now they do. It's like free advertisement.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
I'll bet part of their intention was to irritate people who have a propensity for criticism. People like that are usually incapable of keeping their opinions to themselves, so they voice it -- on the street, at work, to their friends, on forums. "Did you guys see that 'what is G' commercial? What a god awful waste of time that was. I don't even know what it was promoting." Of course, there'll be people around him who didn't know about the commercial, and BOOM -- now they do. It's like free advertisement.
I realize that, but it's a common mistake in marketing to inadvertently hide your message. For every person that just got clued in from the water cooler conversation there's someone like me who doesn't know and doesn't care.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I realize that, but it's a common mistake in marketing to inadvertently hide your message. For every person that just got clued in from the water cooler conversation there's someone like me who doesn't know and doesn't care.
They played you like a fiddle.
smile.gif
Its only a mistake until you realize that psychologically speaking, this method of advertising (self advertising, or one removed advertising, or whatever you call it) is, if done properly, as or more effective than the traditional advertising. These people aren't stupid, and they didn't make a mistake. Its quite brilliant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads