• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which undershirts work best under sheer dress shirts?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I recently got a white Emporio Armani dress shirt that is a little bit on the sheer side.

What kind of undershirt would you guys recommend to wear under it? A plain white crew neck or a low cut wife beater? I really do not like to see peoples undershirts through their shirt.

contaygious

Reaction score
I like short and long sleeve v necks. Thomas Pink has some nice ones and also I like the armani ones too.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word has it that heather grey works the best under white dress shirts. I can't confirm this however; I don't wear undershirts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Word has it that heather grey works the best under white dress shirts. I can't confirm this however; I don't wear undershirts.
I've heard this, too; but I don't wear undershirts either.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
undershirts are for the weak of soul

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I've recently bought a few grey under tanktops. It really works under white shirts. I find that it also depends on the shade of your skin. I have a tanned skintone, darker greys work better.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
I've recently bought a few grey under tanktops. It really works under white shirts. I find that it also depends on the shade of your skin. I have a tanned skintone, darker greys work better.
Doesn't tanktops beat the purpose of an undershirts i.e to prevent armpit stains?

I don't wear undershirts, but if i have to use one, probably recommend 2xist or Hanes/Merona from Target. No point spending on what is essentially underwear.

Maybe would buy sunspel if i had more moniez.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Doesn't tanktops beat the purpose of an undershirts i.e to prevent armpit stains?

I don't wear undershirts, but if i have to use one, probably recommend 2xist or Hanes/Merona from Target. No point spending on what is essentially underwear.

Maybe would buy sunspel if i had more moniez.

Pretty much. I like the style of wife-beaters (Obama wears them), but they don't prevent the armpit stains. I've switched from the **** tee to the standard undershirt.

Merona, sized down, works well and saves the budget. Seriously, those things are about a buck apiece if you catch a sale.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I never wear undershirts but I felt that with a sheer white shirt it might be important. So none of you would wear an undershirt?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
I tried this. It didn't work at all. Then again, unlike Mr. Potato, I have no tan.

Originally Posted by randallr
undershirts are for the weak of soul
Or the erect of nipple.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I found that to avoid underarm stains, one should stop using anti-perspirant. Deoderant does not seem to stain any of my shirts, while the anti-perspirant would make that horrible yellow stain.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
What kind of undershirt would you guys recommend to wear under it? A plain white crew neck or a low cut wife beater? I really do not like to see peoples undershirts through their shirt.

I always wear them. I prefer plain white crewnecks.

Ringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I always wear them. I prefer plain white crewnecks.
+1

I just go with the cheap white Haynes crewneck tees, and they work pretty well. I've also heard the thing about heather gray, but haven't tried it myself.

Additionally, I'll add that if you are wearing a tie, a crewneck with a high/tight collar works best, otherwise you'll be able to see the neckline of the tee through the dress shirt if it's pretty sheer. V-necks and crews with a bigger collar are sometimes visible, and it looks like crap.

One complaint about all undershirts are that if the dress shirt is pretty sheer (typically only happens with some white shirts), and you are not wearing a jacket, sometimes your undershirt sleeves are visible (assuming it's a short sleeve tee). I guess you could cut them off, but then you'd have to deal with pit stains.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I found that to avoid underarm stains, one should stop using anti-perspirant. Deoderant does not seem to stain any of my shirts, while the anti-perspirant would make that horrible yellow stain.

As deodorant does not actually stop the sweating, you might end up with sweat stains instead (i.e. wet spots under your arms). Depending on how much you sweat, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics