• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Interesting. I'm family friends with the Regehrs and know Rhett Warrener decently well. I'm not a fan of either Alberta team however.

Now that we've got this thread rolling, where would you guys suggest I live in Edmonton? (i.e. As a young stylish professional interested in culture and design, where would you ideally locate yourself in the city regardless of cost?) I will be living with my longtime girlfriend - not sure if I should buy or rent, but that is a whole different story. I'm going to be on campus nearly every day for 3 years as I'll be there for my Masters; that said, I don't intend to "live like a student" whatsoever. Preliminary thoughts?

It's always the people who played with Phaneuf who hate him - I know two.

If you are even considering purchasing in this market, you need to read some of what this guy has to say: http://www.greaterfool.ca/

As for living, I think anywhere near the uni is a reasonable location, and I would avoid anything north of the river, but that's just me, never having lived in Edmonton. I bet there are a lot of condo conversions near Whyte that are renting for cheap these days...

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
It's always the people who played with Phaneuf who hate him - I know two.

If you are even considering purchasing in this market, you need to read some of what this guy has to say: http://www.greaterfool.ca/

Thanks immensely for the link - interesting indeed, although I'm not sure I subscribe to it.

Saskatchewan has been a bit of an anomaly in terms of the economy as of late, whether we're just a step behind so to speak or not is an interesting topic for debate. I do want to buy at some point during this market lull, be it in Edmonton or Saskatoon (where I intend to return); I suppose the task at hand is determining when we've reached the deepest part of the valley. Thankfully, I'm in no major rush.

Is there any sense of youth resurgence in (south) downtown these days, as there is in Calgary or Vancouver? I'd consider a highrise condo in the 104-107 Street areas; I hear there are some new projects slowly sprouting from the ground.

minus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Sam is a tailor at HR and I've always had pleasent experiences with him, and his work had been great. The only problem is they often won't let you bring outside purchases in for tailoring, but there are ways around it..

I usually use Dominic with HR purchases and he's always been great, but outside of HR I've had mediocre experiences. I'm, shall we call it, particular with my tailoring, and sadly outside purchases at HR are not welcome.

So some experiences/advice would be helpful as I haven't found a damn thing at Holt/Rosen/Singer/Anywhere I've wanted to buy in Calgary for more than a year.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Though I cannot comment on him being a douche, he is pretty overrated. I assume you are an Oilers fan?? They seem to be going through tough times as of late. Also, is there not a Gravity Pope on 17th in Calgary?? I could be wrong...
Yah I'm an Oilers fan but I'm not too intense about it. I go to the games for entertainment and expensive drinks. Wether they win or not is not a huge deal.
Pretty sure the one on 17th only sells shoes. I'll have to check out this special one in Edmonton next time I'm up.
This is correct. Only Vancouver and Edmonton have gravity pope locations that sell clothes.
Now that we've got this thread rolling, where would you guys suggest I live in Edmonton? (i.e. As a young stylish professional interested in culture and design, where would you ideally locate yourself in the city regardless of cost?) I will be living with my longtime girlfriend - not sure if I should buy or rent, but that is a whole different story. I'm going to be on campus nearly every day for 3 years as I'll be there for my Masters; that said, I don't intend to "live like a student" whatsoever. Preliminary thoughts? I'll be in Edmonton many times this coming Spring checking things out - I'll gladly meet up with you guys for advice and good times, or whatever.
Personally, I'd look for something on Saskatchewan Drive. You get a great view of the river valley and downtown plus you're 5 minutes away from both whyte avenue and the U of A. There are also some new projects coming up on the south-east corner of downtown that look interesting.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that we've got this thread rolling, where would you guys suggest I live in Edmonton? (i.e. As a young stylish professional interested in culture and design, where would you ideally locate yourself in the city regardless of cost?) I will be living with my longtime girlfriend - not sure if I should buy or rent, but that is a whole different story. I'm going to be on campus nearly every day for 3 years as I'll be there for my Masters; that said, I don't intend to "live like a student" whatsoever. Preliminary thoughts? [...] Is there any sense of youth resurgence in (south) downtown these days, as there is in Calgary or Vancouver? I'd consider a highrise condo in the 104-107 Street areas; I hear there are some new projects slowly sprouting from the ground.
Not really, but there is some reclamation of formerly crappy areas in the NW part of downtown, near Grant MacEwan. Lots of nicer condos being built in and around Oliver Square and on 109th St. However, there still isn't a lot to do up there in terms of shopping or culture. Then again, that can be said about anywhere in the city. I'd suggest something in Old Strathcona (off Whyte ave) if you can afford it. Near all the boutiques, used book stores, university, street festivals, farmer's market, bars, etc.
I'll be in Edmonton many times this coming Spring checking things out - I'll gladly meet up with you guys for advice and good times, or whatever.
thumbs-up.gif
Originally Posted by minus
I wouldn't lament over that too much. Calgary lacks any stores I wish to shop in or products I wish to buy, save Alden's from O'Connors or Filson from Hansen's. Otherwise, it's pretty much homogenized dullness. One can hope the Holt and Harry Rosen expansions do something to break that up, but I don't hold out much hope.
O'Connors is brilliant... if you're a millionnaire. I went to high school with the co-owner's son, who now works in their shoe department. He's a good guy, learning to be very knowledgeable with the product. Their yearly sale started this week, if I recall correctly. Never been to Hansen's, but I did drop by Forman's on 1st during Christmas (thanks for the tip Fidel). They had rented some space across the street from their regular store to sell all their clearance items. Stuff was about 50% off. Anyway, I still feel like, given the downtown core, Calgary is better for straight up menswear than Edmonton. But someone feel free to prove me wrong; I'd be happy to learn.
Originally Posted by Stazy
I disagree. There are good stores all over the city...you just gotta know where to find them. Edmonton has better shopping than Calgary. Gravity Pope Tailored Goods alone puts Edmonton ahead of Calgary...
Just paid a visit there. Some very nice stuff if you're into Streetwear and Denim. Plenty of their F/W 08 stuff is 60% off and there's still a fair amount lying around if you're interested.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Edmonton checking in. I agree with the OP. Style in this city is pretty much non-existent.

How many pairs of those damn True Religion jeans with the white stitching can one city handle?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks immensely for the link - interesting indeed, although I'm not sure I subscribe to it.

Saskatchewan has been a bit of an anomaly in terms of the economy as of late, whether we're just a step behind so to speak or not is an interesting topic for debate. I do want to buy at some point during this market lull, be it in Edmonton or Saskatoon (where I intend to return); I suppose the task at hand is determining when we've reached the deepest part of the valley. Thankfully, I'm in no major rush.

Commodities are down. AB and SK in the end are subject to the same market forces. They will come back after the global economy recovers. As for RE, well, it was the new dot-com. The market is not going through a lull, it is returning to normal.

Originally Posted by holymadness
O'Connors is brilliant... if you're a millionnaire. I went to high school with the co-owner's son, who now works in their shoe department. He's a good guy, learning to be very knowledgeable with the product. Their yearly sale started this week, if I recall correctly.

Went to O'Connors shoe store on 7th the other day... nothing of interest on sale - just stuff that obviously they couldn't get rid of. And the saleslady, helpful as she was, told me to buy AEs at the regular price now as "they are going up to $425." Really? Are you serious? I doubt I will ever buy a pair of shoes in this city, nay, country, again.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Well said. (On points 1 and 2.)

jim_n

Reaction score
I'm from Calgary and I agree that the stores here are terrible, so I shop online and I rarely ever see anyone wearing the same gear I do.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The consensus here is no surprise: if you live in Alberta, wait until you go on vacation somewhere to shop. Although, I will say I do seem to find something I like at local stores like Harry's, Holt's and Henry every few months, but there always seems to be 1 worthwhile item in the entire store.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do, I would say, 75% of my business and casual shopping while in Phoenix. There simply is not something like a Nordstrom Rack, or even Gap/Polo Outlet in Alberta.

minus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
O'Connors is brilliant... if you're a millionnaire. I went to high school with the co-owner's son, who now works in their shoe department. He's a good guy, learning to be very knowledgeable with the product. Their yearly sale started this week, if I recall correctly.

Never been to Hansen's, but I did drop by Forman's on 1st during Christmas (thanks for the tip Fidel). They had rented some space across the street from their regular store to sell all their clearance items. Stuff was about 50% off.

Certain items never go on sale at O'Connors. Sadly, usually the only things I buy there (Alden's). The shoe department is exceptional. Even repairs. The guy they use is really very, very good. Really exceptional work.

O'Connors follows the fluctuations in currency from when they order an item, and they do pass on the savings when the dollar is good. Unfortunately, they pass on the hit when the dollar is in the crapper too.

And Hansen's is actually a specialty fishing shop. They just stock a absolutely mind boggling quantity of Filson bags and clothing and Pendelton shirts. Solid-as-burlap, made-in-the-US workwear is their staple. Less expensive than Wholesale Sports for that sort of thing, and the gentleman who owns it will order you anything from the catalog and it'll be in your hands in a week or so.

Went to O'Connors shoe store on 7th the other day... nothing of interest on sale - just stuff that obviously they couldn't get rid of. And the saleslady, helpful as she was, told me to buy AEs at the regular price now as "they are going up to $425." Really? Are you serious? I doubt I will ever buy a pair of shoes in this city, nay, country, again.

Sadly, on the exchange rate you'll get hit either way. On the plus side, with Alden and AEs (I don't know if all of them are US, but I think so) you don't get hit with tariff on top of it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So who is down for an Alberta SF meet up at the Gasoline Alley Tim Hortons in Red Deer?
crackup[1].gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glenn's Restaurant if along Gasoline Alley.
laugh.gif
I try to avoid Red Deer as much as possible though.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of stores in WEM that no one goes into... not sure how the 100+ Canadiana stores survive.
Tourists I guess. I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be one store on the upper level near the Santa Maria that sold only christmas stuff.... all year round. If you walked past their store in the spring, there would actually be a sign counting down the days until the next christmas.
Originally Posted by Stazy
So who is down for an Alberta SF meet up at the Gasoline Alley Tim Hortons in Red Deer?
crackup[1].gif

I'm in. We can mourn the lack of quality shopping over tim-bits and double doubles.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics