• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running + Lifting

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This summer I was putting down 50-60 miles a week at under 7 minutes per. In the middle of August I joined a local gym to get a bit more "well rounded fit", and not just "running fit". Now, my long runs are few and far between and if I put in 17 miles a week, its a lot. I generally lift on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday. I run on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

I do hit the bike on a 10 (out of 15) resistance level for 3-4 miles before I begin lifting and generally just stick to basic machines for my chest, back, arms, shoulders, and legs while at the gym. I'm usually in the gym for around an hour (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) doing 3 sets of 20 reps on all the machines. Now I'm not running to get "fast" or win races, but for general fitness. Is my routine basically the same as before I was lifting 3 times a week, am I doing more, or less? Is the lifting limiting my running?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
This summer I was putting down 50-60 miles a week at under 7 minutes per... Now, my long runs are few and far between and if I put in 17 miles a week, its a lot... I do hit the bike on a 10 (out of 15) resistance level for 3-4 miles before I begin lifting and generally just stick to basic machines for my chest, back, arms, shoulders, and legs while at the gym...

Is my routine basically the same as before I was lifting 3 times a week, am I doing more, or less? Is the lifting limiting my running?

In term of work / calories burned, definitely less. It's not necessarily a bad thing, looking at the goals you stated. Also, what's your diet like?

BTW, quit the machines.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea I know the machines are not the best, but with the time constraints I have (self imposed though- I want to be home with my daughter as often as possible) its the best for me. I can whip through 8 machines at 3x20 reps in about 40 minutes, and be home to see my bubba.

My diet is pretty good and disciplined. Throughout the workweek I will have farina and berries in the AM, then a grapefruit with some Soy Crisps, then a lean protein based low carb lunch (like Turkey Chili, or Gr Chicken salad, or tuna) and then whatever my wife has cooked up for dinner (all fairly healthy, not fried or excessively ***** stuff). lately I've also squeezed in a PB&J on grain bread as I've felt so hungry during the day.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yea I know the machines are not the best, but with the time constraints I have (self imposed though- I want to be home with my daughter as often as possible) its the best for me. I can whip through 8 machines at 3x20 reps in about 40 minutes, and be home to see my bubba.

I'm a huge proponent of free weights. They really provide a much better workout than machines.

If you've got 40 minutes for lifting, then think about trying to do 4 solid compound movements (bench press, squat, etc.) with 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Try it for a week - I bet that it hits you a lot harder than your current machine routine.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you doing sets of 20?

If you say toning, I'm kicking you in the ovary. Right through the screen. It's a myth, anyway.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a drawback to do more reps? Or is it the same effect as heavier weights and less reps...and why the violence?
fight[1].gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a drawback to do more reps? Or is it the same effect as heavier weights and less reps...and why the violence?
fight[1].gif

Strength and, depending on exercise, explosiveness.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Strength and, depending on exercise, explosiveness.

So its a myth that lighter weights and more reps will prevent me from changing my size too much? I don't want my body to change much, mostly because I can't afford new clothes...

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing size is largely a function of diet.

The drawback to high reps is that it's not enough weight to stress the muscle, which means little strength gain and no metabolic effect (fat burning).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond

The drawback to high reps is that it's not enough weight to stress the muscle, which means little strength gain and no metabolic effect (fat burning).

Cool, I didn't know that. So if I increase the amount I lift, decrease the reps, I should burn more, get stronger and more explosive without getting much bigger (providing that my diet doesn't change much, which it shouldn't). That will also save me loads of time so I can get home to the baby...

Now, back to my original post, should I see a change in my running capabilities that I'd be becoming more powerful from the gym? Or if I lift three days a week, should I just be satisfied with the amount I run now...?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally, you'd keep weight high, reps low, and rest short. One of my favorite programs is 10x3 for four exercises (one chest, one back, two legs; one day could be bench, chin, Romanian deadlift, front squat) with 45 seconds of rest between sets. One week, you increase the weight. The next week, you cut rest to 40 seconds...kand so on.

This should increase work capacity and anaerobic conditioning as well.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If you can run 10 miles a day, I don't think your body is built to "fill out" by lifting weights. Are you skinny because you run, or do you run because you're skinny? I think the latter.

beasty

Reaction score
Is my routine basically the same as before I was lifting 3 times a week, am I doing more, or less? Is the lifting limiting my running?

Your question defies understanding.

You used to run tons and now you go to the gym more and run lesser.
Of course your routine is different than before. Even the forum idiots (who shall remain nameless so as not to embarass them) would know that.

Is the lifting limiting your running? Duh! Of course it is. You should also know the less you run, the more your cardiovascular etc is affected by it and the less good you are in running in terms of timing etc than you were.

As for machines, nothing wrong with em. It depends on how you use it. Just like nuclear power.

I would suggest you ask better questions so as to get the answer you want.

beasty

Reaction score
Now, back to my original post, should I see a change in my running capabilities that I'd be becoming more powerful from the gym? Or if I lift three days a week, should I just be satisfied with the amount I run now...?

You would be less capable in running since you dont run as much as did.
Your new found muscles wont exactly make you slower though.

As for being satisfied with the amount you run, duh! What kind of question is that?
Its up to you aint it?

There is no magic guide to say you must run 50 miles a week together with 3 gym sessons a week. It depends on your goals and your limitations etc.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I asked was basically am I getting the same amount of general excercise or less. I'm asking if going to the gym for an hour is using the same energy, and accomplishing similar things (based on my goal to just stay healthy and fit) as it owuld if I were running for an hour. If you were able to understand beyond the words printed, your understanding of my question wouldn't have been defied. Maybe the Subject should have been

"Running(xy) = Running (x) + Lifting (y)?"

As per the comment re: the weights limiting my running, I've read in many running guides that a good way to improve your running time and distances is to incorporate a workout routine. Why has it done the opposite for me? Is it because the routine is more than what it should be?

The satisfaction part, what a bit more complex than you read it. Read between the lines...of course I know my satisfaction can't be answered by un named "morons" on a web forum, but based on their experiences (figuring a few here may be more knowledgeable than I am on the subject) should I be trying to run more?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads