• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans make the outfit?

phaseshift

Reaction score
how many our SFers feel this way?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Not many. They ought to be good, but unless you're rocking some incredibly awesome/offbeat jeans (like those PBJ's with the purple weft), jeans shouldn't be the most interesting thing in any given fit.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay more attention to denim now. If I see someone whose well dressed and layered I'll go on to look at their denim.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
I don't think any one particular piece of the outfit can "make" the outfit. That being said, I find that when i'm going for something simple like some converse or whatever, a pair of jeans, and a v neck, the jeans happen to really stand out.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the summer they definitely can.

Someone wearing chuck taylor, light coloured bootcut jeans, american apparel tee = bad
Someone wearing chuck taylor, APC new cure/std, american apparel tee = good

Although, less so in the winter I'd say.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't make an outfit, but they can break one

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
In the summer they definitely can.

Someone wearing chuck taylor, light coloured bootcut jeans, american apparel tee = bad
Someone wearing chuck taylor, APC new cure/std, american apparel tee = good

Although, less so in the winter I'd say.

Both of those looks sound ridiculously boring to me.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think any piece can make or break the outfit. the idea is to get enough pieces to use them together with other ones nicely.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Both of those looks sound ridiculously boring to me.

It is, but how do you make summer styling not boring? layers imo make an outfit exponentially more interesting.

Originally Posted by darkie_one
jacket makes it

I agree with this as long as everything else fits right. Armani I think said the jacket makes the outfit as well.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
I agree with this as long as everything else fits right. Armani I think said the jacket makes the outfit as well.

It stands to reason. After all, we spend most of our time looking at other people's upper bodies, and (hopefully) only glance at their lower bodies.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel jeans stand out the least on an outfit. Unless the jeans fit horribly or are a bad color/don't match the rest of the outfit, they won't really be noticed by most people. (with the exception of denimheads of course)

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me jeans decide what I am going to wear. I only have Jeans slim jeans in 4 different colors. There are some shirts, shoes, sweaters, etc that dot go with a certain pair of jeans so I have to dress acording to what jeans I am wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads