• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turntables

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, turntables begin and end with the Technics 1200.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike power cords and speaker cables, you can endlessly spend more money on turntables and always find some improvement, however small. Like speakers, they are mechanical devices that are a balance of compromises with plenty of lilies to gild.

Of course, there are also a lot of stupid designs out there that aren't worth the money asked for, and they include some audiophile sacred cows.

--Andre

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll settle for my old Nakamichi TX 1000.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
For me, turntables begin and end with the Technics 1200.

Same here. A lightly used one plus a Dennon moving coil cartridge (103 or a high output like the 160) and the result is a cheap, decent system that will probably outlive you.

Of course there are audible improvements with more expensive equipment, but I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra money. And there are other considerations. For instance, of course you wouldn't play a VG+ with a $500 stylus, but what if that is one of your old time favourite records and you've bought that when it was first released? You're not going to be listening to it in order to protect the stylus? Will your setup be in an accoustically appropriate room? Will you be sitting properly?

And, unfortunately, I've met a fair number of collectors and audiophiliacs who don't listen to music anymore but to sound quality.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
Of course there are audible improvements with more expensive equipment, but I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra money.
As a former Linn Sondek owner, I can definitely assure you that they are. It's like night-and-day vs a regular turntable, or a CD player.
worship.gif
However, some expensive turntables are somewhat poorly-designed, and won't give you a major boost in sound quality. A lot of the expensive Japanese 'tables seem to fall into that category, for some reason.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm actually interested in a modest turntable. But something reasonable ($300-500) and minimalist. Would love just a thin slab of wood with a platter and an arm. I was thinking of a Rega. Any other suggestions?

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I'm actually interested in a modest turntable. But something reasonable ($300-500) and minimalist. Would love just a thin slab of wood with a platter and an arm. I was thinking of a Rega. Any other suggestions?
Regas are great for the money. I also really like the Systemdek IIX... sometimes referred to as "the poor man's Linn Sondek". If I was going 'inexpensive yet great-sounding turntable', those would be my top picks.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Used LP12s can be had for reasonable amounts of money and if they take your fancy, they can bring lots of joy.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Used LP12s can be had for reasonable amounts of money and if they take your fancy, they can bring lots of joy.

I'm listening to my LP12 right now! Highly recommended.

confusa

Reaction score
Very happy with my Music Hall MMF-5. Comes with a quality needle as well.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like VPI tables myself. Very nice sound. Rega is a terrific brand, especially P3 (24) and higher.

Just don't skimp on the cartridge and phono stage.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
P.S. I bought an LP at the Rocky Mountain Festival and they played it on the Clearaudio Statement table. Spectacular sound but you have to see it in person to appreciate the craftsmanship.

The Continuum tables are probably my favorites now in terms of sound. I have not heard the new Goldmund yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads