• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
those look much, much better. but they should sit at your hips! they will stretch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
those look much, much better. but they should sit at your hips! they will stretch.

You all need to calm down and stop trying to get him to take off his pants.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wait a minute . . . are we still trying to help Holdfast get his jeans to fit?

Because he asked, yes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wait a minute . . . are we still trying to help Holdfast get his jeans to fit?

You're next. Take your belt off mafoo

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You're next. Take your belt off mafoo

I already did, back in 2007. See my blog.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look, I know I'm irresistable but you all need to stop arguing over who gets to take my belt off.

Seriously, I appreciate the advice from everyone. It's helped hugely in getting me into what I think are the right size jeans for me.

Re: the waist. As I said, I'm wearing them sans belt for the evening and will see where they naturally end up. Up to now, they're staying basically where they are in the pics without my adjusting them, so I'm guessing that's where they naturally fall for their rise. But we'll see how things go. I will say that I quite like the tighter fit of this size.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Re: the waist. As I said, I'm wearing them sans belt for the evening and will see where they naturally end up. Up to now, they're staying basically where they are in the pics without my adjusting them, so I'm guessing that's where they naturally fall for their rise. But we'll see how things go. I will say that I quite like the tighter fit of this size.

Yes, this was a real issue for me (guys on SWD say it still is). It really takes getting used to.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Yes, this was a real issue for me (guys on SWD say it still is). It really takes getting used to.

Well, I've been wearing them the past couple of days now. I'm pretty comfortable in them and think I'm satisfied with them. Today, just hanging round the house and running a few errands:

jan09002ry8.jpg

Not up to SW&D standards, I'm sure, but I think a lot better looking than my previous jeans and I'm happy with where I've got.

Thanks for all the help guys. You've really helped!
bigstar[1].gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^Jeans look great Hold. Really nice.

Not sure I can say the same about the shoes, however...

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Well, I've been wearing them the past couple of days now. I'm pretty comfortable in them and think I'm satisfied with them. Today, just hanging round the house and running a few errands:

jan09002ry8.jpg

Not up to SW&D standards, I'm sure, but I think a lot better looking than my previous jeans and I'm happy with where I've got.

Thanks for all the help guys. You've really helped!
bigstar[1].gif

I have to say, I saw this in WAYW thread and didn't know the genesis of it, but it is quite an improvement! Nice job! Kudos to the denim experts for walking you through it.

I'm definitely due for some new denim, this thread is very helpful.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
It's weird to see the reverse of my dad yelling at my brother "pull your damn pants up!"

What happened immediately beforehand?

On second thought, some secrets should stay in the family...
lookaround.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how high up some of you pull your jeans. I'm seeing too much moose knuckle to feel comfortable.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I can't believe how high up some of you pull your jeans. I'm seeing too much moose knuckle to feel comfortable.

I used to wear them really low and tight back in college. I looked like a jackass. I'd look like a jackass and a dufus if I tried that now; imagine trying to tuck an OCBD (or any shirt, for that matter) into jeans hanging off your hips.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
^Jeans look great Hold. Really nice.

Not sure I can say the same about the shoes, however...

You don't like the dark navy mock croc contrast stitched abominations? Sacrilege!!

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I have to say, I saw this in WAYW thread and didn't know the genesis of it, but it is quite an improvement! Nice job! Kudos to the denim experts for walking you through it.

I'm definitely due for some new denim, this thread is very helpful.

+1

They're very patient with us too. I think it's all a ploy to get us to take our pants off, but still...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads