• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meeting with tier 1 tailor in 2 weeks for initial suit fitting, any advice to prepare

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The highest tier is known as Tier 0 (pronounced teerZ-oh), and they sport pigtails. Not the single, long ******** sort, but the double Viking variety.

Because of all the vendettas, they are among the last males still alive in the hills of Sicily. The good news is that they are unaware of the Euro, and still take lira. Oh, and they also have a flagship booteek in the Carlyle, a couple floors under Tepdoc's expansive suite.

- B

HAHAHA i honestly almost p'd me pants

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Tried, failed, accepted.
Thought of blaming AAAC. (It seems a pretty popular thing to do.)

Currently bowing and kissing your antiqued English cyber feet.
worship.gif

I just wanted a chance to be snarky like everyone else.
frown.gif

No foot-kissing necessary. Glad to help. Thanks for handling it more maturely than I did.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Tried, failed, accepted.
Thought of blaming AAAC. (It seems a pretty popular thing to do.)

Currently bowing and kissing your antiqued English cyber feet.
worship.gif

I just wanted a chance to be snarky like everyone else.
frown.gif

Rule #1 of the internet, always fight your position to the death, even in the face of overwhleming evidence to the contrary
teacha.gif

Rule #2, when on the losing end of a fight with grimslade, simply yell out "sycophant!" to even things out.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Part of the experience of working with a top tier tailor is the expertise of his "eye" and sense of proportion and what is right and what works on you. These questions are best answered by your tailor and the answers will confirm or inform you if you are in the shop that is right for you. The first suit, let him do his thing and see the magic or the tragedy. Before you wanted straight built up shoulder now you are wondering about softness. Leave it to your tailor and his natural tendencies and ability. The less you know the more you may learn.

Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Meeting w/ top NY bespoke tailor for initial meet to have suit made. looking to get a 2b, 3piece navy suit, all-year wool.. soft high-end wool that still has guts (not too fine). ticket pocket not at a slant, traditional length coat, slightly larger than normal notched lapel w high notch, flat front trousers w/ side tabs and maybe a 2" pant cuff,

not sure about

the gorge
how soft/structured i want the shoulder
drape / chest -

any helpful advice would be appreciated. thx

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is some soft shoulder and a lot of freakin drape

Is this your tailor?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Part of the experience of working with a top tier tailor is the expertise of his "eye" and sense of proportion and what is right and what works on you. These questions are best answered by your tailor and the answers will confirm or inform you if you are in the shop that is right for you. The first suit, let him do his thing and see the magic or the tragedy. Before you wanted straight built up shoulder now you are wondering about softness. Leave it to your tailor and his natural tendencies and ability. The less you know the more you may learn.
Was this your experience with Yachtie?
devil.gif
I have to say that even though his earlier stuff fit well, his newer stuff looks much better. I am glad to see you are learning.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is some soft shoulder and a lot of freakin drape

Is this your tailor?

The sleeve pitch sucks.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Was this your experience with Yachtie?
devil.gif
I have to say that even though his earlier stuff fit well, his newer stuff looks much better. I am glad to see you are learning.
smile.gif

I think you are saying I don't know much. Yachtie is my tailoring mentor and I must obey.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I suggest meeting a full, 3/3 tailor, I hate when the 1/3 tailors try to take my measurements from their skateboards.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well said very helpful.

re: Before you wanted straight built up shoulder now you are wondering about softness.

After trying on some suits w/ softer shoulder I'm starting to think it may compliment me a bit more.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be me, but I think a sold Navy, 2B, 3 piece suit is a somewhat conservation garment. Accordingly, I would not do the ticket pocket. That said, I think the question of degree of softness in the shoulder is purely a matter of personal preference and one's shoulder structure. If the tailor is any good (I have not a clue what tier 1 means), he ought be able to advise on that issue.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Might be me, but I think a sold Navy, 2B, 3 piece suit is a somewhat conservation garment. Accordingly, I would not do the ticket pocket. That said, I think the question of degree of softness in the shoulder is purely a matter of personal preference and one's shoulder structure. If the tailor is any good (I have not a clue what tier 1 means), he ought be able to advise on that issue.

what do you think of this suit?

windsor_blue.jpg

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237

are you marc grayson?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads