• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit Ties

skunkworks

Reaction score
Yea.

(It's definitely spelled yea, btw.)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Would these interesting little things be only suitable for fall and winter?

No. In fact, they seem more proper in spring/summer. While silk wovens are always in season, knit ties (of all materials) work best with warm weather clothing and wool wovens make the most sense in fall/winter.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by livin'thestreet
I'm for them most of the time...but are they professional for the workplace?

Depends on your line of work.

livin'thestreet

Reaction score
I've found them hard to pull off in the banking / private equity world...Hermes and Ferragamo ties are the go to.

LDawg

Reaction score
Yay! I scored a number of them from JCrew and Rugby for less than $20 each.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by livin'thestreet
I've found them hard to pull off in the banking / private equity world...Hermes and Ferragamo ties are the go to.

Really? Hermes and Ferragamo make some nice ties, but if you're talking about prints (which is what both Hermes and Ferragamo are known for), wouldn't a nice solid or striped knit tie actually be more appropriate?

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
Yay. I have a blue Jcrew one and a BR one I picked up for 20 bucks b/c they mismarked it. Its not as slim, about 2.5 but oh well.

I scored about 5 from J Crew at about $20 a piece. Not too bad considering they're almost $70 a pop...and is the one you got from BR orange or gray?

Originally Posted by wmmk
Depends on your line of work.

**** that. Office or not, I'll wear that baby like it's nobody's business. Some of you office working, knit tie having lads will just have to show those bums how it's done...cajun style!!

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally. I have about a bakers dozen of them in all shades and stripes and solds and wear them all the time.

The RL Black Label/Polo/Rugby ones are the best. The BR and J Crew ones stretch, are made in China and feel cheap. You can get the Ralph ones on sale too.

Prada makes some cool ones, they look like macrame from the 70s, in a good way. Very louche.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw one yesterday at a thrift shop. It was ridiculous. 4 inch square tie.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I think this makes a good point. If one were to wear a tie with jeans, I think something textured like a knit or a wool is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads