• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest-Quality Shoe Report Card (Lattanzi, Bontoni, Lobb Kiton, Berluti)

satorstyle

Reaction score
insomb start with Allen Edmonds, or Alden's. They are very well made and something stylish can often be found new in your price point on Ebay.

Tardek

Reaction score
I read an article in Esquire about custom-made shoes - are they worth the ($2000 odd dollar) expense?

ziggyosk

Reaction score
this thread is useless without pictures. Where is the OP's collection?
frown.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
insomb start with Allen Edmonds, or Alden's. They are very well made and something stylish can often be found new in your price point on Ebay.
Bontoni, Lattanzi, Santoni, Kiton.... Allen Edmonds and Alden? Hell naw. They are by no means stylish. --------- 7 pages in and still no pics. A good troll would at least post pics of shoes from a catalogue or blog or something.
frown.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
No worries, it sounds like a great collection that we would love to see.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Et Tu Brute?

Some of us were really sad when we didn't get to see pics of the legendary AP collection in this tough economy.

To the OP, boy are you in the right place. You will have more fun and gain more knowledge than just about anywhere else for a shoe fran if you participate in this forum.

My first line was an inside joke. If you do a search, you'll see that AP knows a little bit about shoes himself
smile.gif

Personally, I missed the internet bubble and the new home bubble while I was right in the middle of them
frown.gif

But I still have about 40 pairs of shoes. I like oddities. I have a lot of very basics of things like AEs and Mephistos and such along with about 5 pair of Churchs shoes I like. I have one pair of EGs and one pair of Lobb St. James, but if I ever get around to it, I think I'll sell them because they don't fit.

Again, welcome, you will enjoy it here, and pictures are always appreciated.

damnhedapper

Reaction score
That's AOK ! The list is intriguing and the selection quality is admirable...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
I read an article in Esquire about custom-made shoes - are they worth the ($2000 odd dollar) expense?

More so than custom clothes IMO. Unless I get pregnant or otherwise change shoe sizes
laugh.gif
, a good classic pair of custom shoes will last a lifetime. Whereas I can almost guarantee I am not going to have exactly the same physique my entire life, let alone the fact that clothing styles change with more frequency. A great pair of bespoke shoes is a great investment IMHO.

888style

Reaction score
Someone who makes a claim of owning many nice shoes and not being able to use a camera and post some pictures on this forum, I simply can't take serious.

Same goes for a 46 shoe collection and not owning any EG's.

musicboohoo[1].gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 888style
Someone who makes a claim of owning many nice shoes and not being able to use a camera and post some pictures on this forum, I simply can't take serious.

Same goes for a 46 shoe collection and not owning any EG's.

musicboohoo[1].gif

Not at all hard to understand. Not uncommon for a middle aged guy to own that many shoes.
Have no EGs or Digital camera skills. Before joining SF, many USA guys never heard of EG or Lobb. Thay's not to say EnglishTea isn't full of sh*t
laugh.gif

MaChemist

Reaction score
I am interested in buying a pair of Bontoni shoes but on this forum I read many negative comments. Can you give evidence for the comments? I have recently seen a trunk show of Bontoni where they show all of teir shoes. They look very nice to me. Bontoni makes tree different "lines" of shoes. They have machine welted goodyear for a price of +- 900 euro, handmade goodyear for 1250 euro and blakes (do not know the prices). On th trunk show they demonstrated the hand stitching and hand coloring of the shoes. It looked very nice to me and I tried two pairs and they fit exceptionally well. So why is there a negative atmosphere around Bontoni on the forum? The only thing that is a point of discussion is why thy do not use closed channel stitching. But when you wear your shoes the stitching will erode after soe time. Hoping for some answers.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaChemist
I am interested in buying a pair of Bontoni shoes but on this forum I read many negative comments. Can you give evidence for the comments? I have recently seen a trunk show of Bontoni where they show all of teir shoes. They look very nice to me. Bontoni makes tree different "lines" of shoes. They have machine welted goodyear for a price of +- 900 euro, handmade goodyear for 1250 euro and blakes (do not know the prices). On th trunk show they demonstrated the hand stitching and hand coloring of the shoes. It looked very nice to me and I tried two pairs and they fit exceptionally well. So why is there a negative atmosphere around Bontoni on the forum? The only thing that is a point of discussion is why thy do not use closed channel stitching. But when you wear your shoes the stitching will erode after soe time. Hoping for some answers.

My understanding was that "goodyear" has to be done on a machine. In other words, a hand welted shoe by definition can't be "goodyear." I don't really know anything though, about this subject or Bontoni.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I don't know about the construction of Bontoni, but I find many of the models to be very attractive, and I usually prefer English styled shoes over Italian.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I attended one of their trunk shows in NYC, I think it was, last year. They didn't strike me as bad shoes, but way overpriced. That alone will get you neg rep on SF.

Most of the models were way too flash for me. That too may add to the silence here -- that type of styling doesn't get a lot of traction on SF, or hasn't in the past.

Truth be told, it was one of the better trunk shows I've attended, if only because it was something different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads