• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody want to help me throw out ties?

user7

Reaction score
Hi, new user here...been purging my wardrobe of crap that I never wore, never liked, hand-me-downs, etc.

I'm on to ties, which I rarely wear, and want to sell most to the consignment store. I was wondering if anyone here wanted to chime in with their opinion on any I should maybe reconsider keeping or def give away, as I really have no style/taste when it comes to ties and would appreciate your guys' input!

CIMG1710.JPG

Bottom row:

Armani (too short, throw), Polo (too short, throw), Polo (too short, throw), Calvin Klein (throw), Fendi (throw), Masatomo (def throw), Hermes (throw), Hermes (keep?), Polo (keep), Polo (keep),

Top Row:

Prada (keep), Polo (throw?), Ferragamo (keep?), Dolce & Gabbana (keep)

My initial thoughts are in parentheses, thanks guys. Also I intend to put money aside for new ones, so feel free to suggest I throw away all of them (and perhaps a link to some basic classic cheap ties?)

user7

Reaction score
I'd be giving them to gentleman's resale, a consignment store in NYC, if they'll take them.

Anything they won't I'd be happy to give away for free to anyone in NYC...not gonna ship though. (or if anyone wants to just buy any before they go to the consignment store...but once again nyc pick up only)

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're nice ties IMO, with the exception of the Masatomo and maybe the CK. The D&G looks like it might have a run at this angle, but it might just be the structure of the silk. I'm not wild about Hermes in general, but I'm sure many people would regard those to be beautiful.

Really, I think it's just going to come down to your personal style. All the ties I didn't mention could easily be worn by just about anybody and they'd look fine. If you really must pare your ties down to, say, three, then try to select representatives of colors/ patterns. Say the red repp tie, the sage dotted tie and say the blue fendi or hermes tie.

modagg

Reaction score
If you change your mind on shipping (to michigan) I would be willing to buy both the hermes and the fendi tie.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm building a tie wardrobe right now and I'd be interested in all of the ties except for the Armani, CK, Prada, Fendi, Masatomo, and D&G.

Let me know if you'd be willing to work something out and send them my way
smile.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Oddly enough, your picks almost exactly mirror mine, except I include the Hermes ties..
tounge.gif

1) Why is that odd? 2) I have no idea which is which designer (I didnt read the OP's listing of what is what) and went solely on my personal taste. Edit: its obvious which is the Hermes...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
1) Why is that odd?

2) I have no idea which is which designer (I didnt read the OP's listing of what is what) and went solely on my personal taste.

Edit: its obvious which is the Hermes...

Haha, now that I think about it, it's not that "odd". Perhaps just an amusing coincidence.

It is pretty obvious which ones are the Hermes hehe. There's an older gent here at work who loves that style. I think it would be funny if I walked into the office with something similar and see his reaction.

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
Other than the yellow and blue Polo (second from left), I'm not fond of any of them.

awxg

Reaction score
Definately keep the Ferragamo and the two Polos on the left.

Narciso

Reaction score
I'd keep the Fendi, the blue Polo after the two Hermes, and the Ferragamo (my favorite). The D&G looks tired, but maybe that's just the image. The Polos on the bottom left are nice, but if they don't fit I wouldn't cry over them. I guess you could keep the two Hermes, but I'm not a fan (I prefer the one on the right). I'd keep the Masatomo, might be good for a theme party or something.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fendi, prada, ferragamo and dolce arent bad. should be able to get good use out of them. Hermes ties arent bad if thats your style but I wouldnt keep them for myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads