• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Question - Pleat or not?

Manystyles

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short.

I'm debating between single pleat and flat front pants. I'm in my early 30's professional and I've always worn pleated pants.

I'm 5 foot 10, 185 and around a 44 coat with a 36 inch waist. I have very broad shoulders and very big thighs. (I'm an ex football player and I still lift and run a lot).

Flat front pants in "athletic" cuts look like I squeezed my thighs into them. Flat front pants in regular 44 drops require a significant amount of tailoring and still don't look quite right after all the work done on them.

So. Is a single pleat really that bad for someone moderately young?

Anyone around my size know of anyone who makes a good flat front suit that doesn't make them look like they bought the pants a size too small?

I don't mind a single pleat, but a lot of people do. So what, exactly is the fashion faux-pas with a single pleat?

I mean, I get that Z. Cavaricci's are bad and I don't care for double pleats, but when I wander around Nordstrom's or another men's store, most of the Hickey Freeman's et al. I see have at least one pleat, usually two.

Thanx in advance.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a single pleat if you've got big thighs...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
There's nothing wrong with a single pleat if you've got big thighs...

+1

I'm a similar size - ex-cyclist and regular walker, pleats work a lot better

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its only Single Pleats and FlatFronts for me. Double (or gasp, triple) look very bad on me.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with what works best for you, not what other people want you to feel best in. Pleats are neither for people in a certain age nor a question of fashion. It simply depends on what works best for your body.
Personally, I always order my suit pants with single outward pleats and I am significantly younger than you are.

Manystyles

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I agree, I don't really like the way I looked in flat front pants, I thought maybe I just had not found a brand that worked, although I tried pretty much all the ones I could find and nada. They all seem to be cut for people with thin legs, which I do not have.

Sterling, I agree.

Like I said, I've always had pleats in my pants. I just wanted to see if there was a suit made in flat fronts that didn't make me look like I was smuggling my pads attached to my legs, under the suit
laugh.gif
just so I could have one in the closet. I'm willing to buy into one fashion trend a year.
smile.gif

It's just when I go into stores I get the "you need an athletic cut, try brand XYZ" and they always seem to come in flat fronts. Then they tell me I look great in them, when I know I don't. Then I wonder why I'm even shopping in that store and I leave.

I just don't get why so many people abhor pleated pants of any sort. I'm told constantly that it's a faux-pas and I just don't get why. I can understand the 80s football shoulder pads though.....

ecdhunt

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this question as I've struggled to find flat fronts that fit me well. I'm a similar build and almost all of my pants have a single pleat because that's what seems to fit (and I like the look).

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong. Pleats are fine. Don't sweat it.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manystyles
So. Is a single pleat really that bad for someone moderately young?

I'd argue that the appropriateness of pleats has nothing to do with age.

b

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As everyone else has indicated, FF pants don't work for everyone, and are not some holy f***ing grail, no matter what Cosmo is telling girls to tell their boyfriends these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics