• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't feel like making a whole thread for this but what should my next major purchase be? I have some extra money for once and instead of buying a lot of cheap stuff I would rather put it towards a single quality item.

My choices are

Very Warm Outerwear
Bag
New Jeans

I already have all three however I feel that they can be improved. I'm tired of wearing the same oversized puffer jacket every time it's too cold/wet for me to wear something else. I'm also a college student and right now I have a pretty cheap messenger bag and would like something more aesthetically pleasing and of better quality. Also I currently own some APCNC and they're ok, I feel very meh about them.

Currently I live fine with all of my current items but I feel like I should put some improvement in those areas. I'd like to hear advice on what my major purchase would be? I can save up about $200-300 for these.

Which should I opt for? (keep in mind this will probably be the biggest purchase of mine for the next couple months)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you could probably pick up a new bag and a good pair of jeans for $300 right now. There are plenty of sales on pretty standard jeans, and Property of... bags are pretty nice for a casual look and the prices are accessible. I saw a good selection of the messenger/cycling bags in Sydneys in Toronto, and they are carried at a large number of retailers and online at their own site, as well.

I would leave out really warm outerwear. Unless there is something you really have your eye set on, the stores are pretty low on all winter stock.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
^outerwear generally being on sale right now, thats what i'd go for

I'm leaning towards outerwear but the reason why I might hold back is because it's something that for me is seasonal and would last me for years and years (since my current jacket has lasted me through the past 4 years) so I feel that it's something I could wait on.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Well, you could probably pick up a new bag and a good pair of jeans for $300 right now. There are plenty of sales on pretty standard jeans, and Property of... bags are pretty nice for a casual look and the prices are accessible. I saw a good selection of the messenger/cycling bags in Sydneys in Toronto, and they are carried at a large number of retailers and online at their own site, as well.

I would leave out really warm outerwear. Unless there is something you really have your eye set on, the stores are pretty low on all winter stock.

Jean wise I am looking at something real nice and not the generic entry level raw denim so my eyes are currently set on Somet, possibly AndeWhalls, not quite sure yet. So I don't think I can do a bag + denim.

Bag wise I'm leaning towards Filson.

I understand I'm being difficult but I'm semi-unsatisfied in all three departments and I'm deciding which ones I am most unsatisfied in, but the advice so far is appreciated.

Johnathan

Reaction score
1P_0567057.jpg
Sperry Top-Sider Striper

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the tumor lumps in the back for?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ If you're looking at the ones I think you are, they are the first "defective" version. Apparently the silver coating cracks really easily.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ss09018zg3.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Mini parachutes so that when you jump really high you can land softly.
Sounds rad. You should kop them then Kodiak.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this too

ss09019xc9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads