• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable for interview/internship?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Also, I don't like how the pants are so skinny. Fitting and slim is good; that skinny is not. What industry are you interviewing? All my points are moot if you are interviewing for something offbeat or creative. My advice is for the most staid fields (the ones I know), like law, finance, strategic management consulting, and government.
Ah I was afraid someone was going to say that, I major in Finance and Chinese so... I can pull an inch or so of fabric from my skin. Will it being slim/skinny offend people? Yep Will, I am a sophmore in college. I realize that this suit may be a bit on the trim/ fashion forward side, it really wasn't my intention. All the other suits in my price range were extremely boxy and needed immense tailoring. I would love a Thick as Thieves suit but unfortunately I don't have the money for that now. I heard good things from H&M so I headed there for a standard suit. This isnt set in stone so if there are any other places I could look besides Burlington and Syms please feel free to comment. I just dont want to offend interviewers.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Ah I was afraid someone was going to say that, I major in Finance and Chinese so...

I can pull an inch or so of fabric from my skin.

Will it being slim/skinny offend people?

offend no, it just makes people focus on your clothing and wonder what you were thinking when you woke up that morning, rather then listening to answers to give to the questions they ask.

They wont tell you if its off-putting, they just put you on the shelf and move onto someone else. Play it safe and find pants that arent that skinny.

In this economy there is little room for chance.

ever watch a channel on TV like CNN, and some guy is being interviewed and his tie has a horrible knot thats all loose and ****** look, and you're looking at him thinking....fix your tie fucko, rather then listening to what he's saying.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your audience is going to drive the analysis here. What are you interviewing for? Pants that skinny (from the back esp) are not going to be a hit unless you are interviewing with unusually hip or artsy type people. Dressing the part is more important than making a creative statement with your clothes in most interviews. I think you should be able to go any mid level department store or Jos Banks and find something a bit more conservative under a few hundred dollars, especially this time of year.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
offend no, it just makes people focus on your clothing and wonder what you were thinking when you woke up that morning, rather then listening to answers to give to the questions they ask.

They wont tell you if its off-putting, they just put you on the shelf and move onto someone else. Play it safe and find pants that arent that skinny.

In this economy there is little room for chance.

ever watch a channel on TV like CNN, and some guy is being interviewed and his tie has a horrible knot thats all loose and ****** look, and you're looking at him thinking....fix your tie fucko, rather then listening to what he's saying.

Man, I don't think that anyone who's not fairly versed in men's fashion is even going to recognize that the jacket is short and the trousers tight, and even if they are, they'll probably be impressed that their college sophomore intern applicant is making the effort with a suit and tie.

I don't know. Maybe you guys are providing better advice, and granted we don't know the full context of this Dash's prospective company, but I think that maybe you're over-projecting some of your sartorial expertise.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
take a good solid look at those tousers.

it looks like he bought the suit that fit in the chest and someone swapped the pants on the hanger with a size 2" smaller.

i agree its not super critical, but i grew up with the idea that if you do something, you do it right. I feel it applies to this, its not much work for him to take it back and get a pair of pants that fit.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
Man, I don't think that anyone who's not fairly versed in men's fashion is even going to recognize that the jacket is short and the trousers tight, and even if they are, they'll probably be impressed that their college sophomore intern applicant is making the effort with a suit and tie.

I don't know. Maybe you guys are providing better advice, and granted we don't know the full context of this Dash's prospective company, but I think that maybe you're over-projecting some of your sartorial expertise.

I think it's exactly the opposite. If they are into to ultra slim or skinny suits, they may appreciate his choice of suit. If they aren't, they will most likely think he looks strange, even if they can't put their fingers on exactly why.

A shapeless sack suit may be more offensive to SFers, but to the general public it is probably a lot less attention drawing than a short jacket and super skinny pants. If they are the type that are just impressed if someone puts on a tie, than khakis with a blue blazer and tie would be the way to go, not a skinny suit that appeals only to people who are very well versed and approving of this current fashion.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
agreed those pants are too trim.

I would wear a pocket square to an interview....but i'm just a bad mother ******.

how many of you would hire me?

as entry level pimp

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I think it's exactly the opposite. If they are into to ultra slim or skinny suits, they may appreciate his choice of suit. If they aren't, they will most likely think he looks strange, even if they can't put their fingers on exactly why.

A shapeless sack suit may be more offensive to SFers, but to the general public it is probably a lot less attention drawing than a short jacket and super skinny pants. If they are the type that are just impressed if someone puts on a tie, than khakis with a blue blazer and tie would be the way to go, not a skinny suit that appeals only to people who are very well versed and approving of this current fashion.

Sadly, this may well be true. The obvious thing to do would be to keep the jacket and swap the trousers for a pair one size up, then have the waist and length adjusted (this is what I always did when I bought OTR suits). However, for some insane reason, H&M only sells suits as a set and doesn't seem to allow this?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw H&M sells trousers by itself. Does it have to match the exact color? Ill swing by probably tomorrow.

On the other hand, I might just return it seeing general consensus here. It wasn't my intention to get a flashy or extremly fashion foward suit. I just wanted one that was fitted OTR and H&M fit the bill.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it have to match the exact color?

Yes. Before you buy anything else, you should read Manton's thread on Conservative Business Dress. Search for it, it's in this forum.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Try your local Goodwill stores. If not, I remember reading the wool (Merona brand, think) suits from Target are a decent value and sold in separates so you can find something that fits up top and bottom. I'm not sure, though, I don't have any personal experience with them.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
Try your local Goodwill stores. If not, I remember reading the wool (Merona brand, think) suits from Target are a decent value and sold in separates so you can find something that fits up top and bottom. I'm not sure, though, I don't have any personal experience with them.

They look to be decent, though they only size down to 40R at minimum IIRC, and Target tends to run large. On the upside, they look to be a little more conservative than H&M, though still rather stylish, they're cheap, and they sell as separates. If this sizing works for Dash, he could give Target a look.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw H&M sells trousers by itself. Does it have to match the exact color? Ill swing by probably tomorrow.

On the other hand, I might just return it seeing general consensus here. It wasn't my intention to get a flashy or extremly fashion foward suit. I just wanted one that was fitted OTR and H&M fit the bill.

I'd take some time and check out your other options and report back (if needed). The jacket doesn't fit all that great either, so hunting down pants to work with the jacket doesn't make that much sense. Good luck to you, I always found the interview process to be very exciting. I have blown a couple by not dressing appropriately, so I know where you are coming from.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Sadly, this may well be true. The obvious thing to do would be to keep the jacket and swap the trousers for a pair one size up, then have the waist and length adjusted (this is what I always did when I bought OTR suits). However, for some insane reason, H&M only sells suits as a set and doesn't seem to allow this?

Obscurity, I was looking at your recent WAYWT threads and noticed that in one of your posts, you are wearing a "short jacket" as well? I really had no idea what I had was a short jacket, I just thought it was a fitted jacket that wasn't a shapeless sack. Ill go and size up on the pants, hopefully it works out! However the jacket is fine?

Talbina

Reaction score
Some people here....i'm just going to say are "different".

The people suggesting a pocket square....are you in the UK? Because that **** doesn't fly in North America.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads