• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable for interview/internship?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a suit for an interview on a budget, since none of the suits I like are within my price range, I dropped over to H&M and found a charchol grey suit that fits me....well you decide, feel free to criticize. If it doesnt work, I will return the suit. It is not the shirt I will wear with the suit and I am not wearing a tie, those items were left at my dorm, I am still home over break...
15gpgfo.jpg

35ldlib.jpg

20rlrip.jpg

2wdd0lz.jpg

s2y69h.jpg

2qd79lf.jpg

Thanks!

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Others will be able to better anazlyze the fit, as I am no expert, but the two biggest things I notice are the pants need to be hemmed and the sleeves need to be shortened. Other than that, for most interviews and internships at the college level that suit will work well. I would suggest a tie and pocket square, however. And only button the top button.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
leave the bottom button open, looks okay.

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
I'd ahave to agree with the 330CK that you should be wearing a tie. YOu may not have one with you but it's considered an essential item for an interview.... well, depending on the type of job I suppose. It certainly can't hurt your chances. Go scab one off one of your mates. The suit itself could be tailored a bit to make it fit slightly better, and as mentioned the trousers need hemming but it will certainly suffice for a job interview. I'd disagree with the sleeve shortening though. I'm not an expert either but you could still wear your shirt so the sleeves show a bit past the suit sleeves. Make it a nice one. AND WEAR A TIE
wink.gif

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the advice! By hemming you mean shortening? I am not wearing shoes so its hard to tell. Also, my shirt and tie are back at school and I am currently at home so no shirt and tie =(.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
I would suggest a tie and pocket square, however.

Are you trying to get this poor kid rejected? I would never wear a pocket square to an entry-level interview. Some iGents are so out of touch with reality.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Hey guys thanks for the advice! By hemming you mean shortening? I am not wearing shoes so its hard to tell. Also, my shirt and tie are back at school and I am currently at home so no shirt and tie =(.

Hemming is basically just shortening the trousers. It's an easy operation and if you're at home, there's a decent chance your mom would know how to do it, or you could look on the internet for instructions. The trousers are a little long - the rule of thumb I've heard is that they should ideally have a single, rather subtle "break" around the shin. You could check how the dandies on the WAYWRN thread have their trousers tailored.

Other than that, it's a competent fit for a young guy with a ready-to-wear suit. You will probably not find a better fit in your size or price range. If you were really determined, you could find a tailor to clean it up a little, but it would be fairly subtle and probably wouldn't be worth your money.

What will be worth your money is getting a proper shirt and tie. Even if it's picking up a cheap white shirt and basic tie at Target, it's still a necessary part of the outfit for an interview, even for a young dude. Avoid the button-down shirt collar. Bonus point for picking up a white cotton hanky and using it as a simple pocket square, I'd think.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I'd say hem the trousers and jacket sleeve as well as tightening up the jacket. It looks a tad roomy in the back photo. If this company is a wall street or madison ave kind, you might wanna re-think ditching the tie. Even if its for an internship

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Are you trying to get this poor kid rejected? I would never wear a pocket square to an entry-level interview. Some iGents are so out of touch with reality.

Really? I don't know that I'd eschew it, assuming it was fairly basic and unaffected. A white cotton PS with a rectangular fold would seem OK to me.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may only off-put 1 or 5 percent of interviewers, but why take that risk?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
Really? I don't know that I'd eschew it, assuming it was fairly basic and unaffected. A white cotton PS with a rectangular fold would seem OK to me.

depending on the field...

but for the more conservative professions, try not to draw too much attention...

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
Hemming is basically just shortening the trousers. It's an easy operation and if you're at home, there's a decent chance your mom would know how to do it, or you could look on the internet for instructions. The trousers are a little long - the rule of thumb I've heard is that they should ideally have a single, rather subtle "break" around the shin. You could check how the dandies on the WAYWRN thread have their trousers tailored.

Other than that, it's a competent fit for a young guy with a ready-to-wear suit. You will probably not find a better fit in your size or price range. If you were really determined, you could find a tailor to clean it up a little, but it would be fairly subtle and probably wouldn't be worth your money.

What will be worth your money is getting a proper shirt and tie. Even if it's picking up a cheap white shirt and basic tie at Target, it's still a necessary part of the outfit for an interview, even for a young dude. Avoid the button-down shirt collar. Bonus point for picking up a white cotton hanky and using it as a simple pocket square, I'd think.

Thanks for your comments!

I do have a shirt and tie and I will defiantly wear that to my interview. Its all at school so I dont have any at home since I wasn't planning on wearing a shirt or tie at home.

Ill ask my mom to hem the pants to a single break.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I don't like how the pants are so skinny. Fitting and slim is good; that skinny is not.

What industry are you interviewing? All my points are moot if you are interviewing for something offbeat or creative. My advice is for the most staid fields (the ones I know), like law, finance, strategic management consulting, and government.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agreed those pants are too trim.

I would wear a pocket square to an interview....but i'm just a bad mother ******.

how many of you would hire me?

PICT0068.jpg

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Also, I don't like how the pants are so skinny. Fitting and slim is good; that skinny is not.

What industry are you interviewing? All my points are moot if you are interviewing for something offbeat or creative. My advice is for the most staid fields (the ones I know), like law, finance, strategic management consulting, and government.

I suspect that the OP is 18 to 20 years old, and is interviewing for an internship. In the context of a 35-year-old professional interviewing for a law firm or management position, the suit's cut is probably overly fashion-forward and inappropriate, what with the shortened jacket and slim trousers. In the context of an 18-20 YO guy interviewing for an internship pretty much anywhere, he's going to look better than 99% of any other applicants IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads