• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shiny elbows after just 6hours!

rexor12

Reaction score
I wore my new navy blazer to work and when i got home after 6 hours at my desk i noticed it had developed elbow shine - is this really possible? It's not a bad fabric blazer either, it's an rlbl anthony so the fabric cant be the cause of this.
We did get brand new desks and i might have rested my elbows a bit on these, but after just one day - that seems unreasonably quick?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexor12
I wore my new navy blazer to work and when i got home after 6 hours at my desk i noticed it had developed elbow shine - is this really possible? It's not a bad fabric blazer either, it's an rlbl anthony so the fabric cant be the cause of this.
We did get brand new desks and i might have rested my elbows a bit on these, but after just one day - that seems unreasonably quick?

Is the jacket cotton or wool? What is the weight? I can't see how this would happen after a brief encounter with your desk, maybe it's some sort of substance that was on the desk and rubbed off on the jacket?

rexor12

Reaction score
It's lightweight wool (the spring version of the anthony blazer)

I hope you're right, perhaps i can dryclean it and get it out. I tried steaming it and then brushing with a clothes brush, it seemed to improve at first but then it returned

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell how the vinegar thing works.

Does it not smell afterwards, or do you dry clean it?

K

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get elbow patches

rexor12

Reaction score
I just took some 12% vinegar (the ones most commonly sold in stores here, the clear natural kind), mixed about 1 part vinegar 1 part water and dipped a rag in it. Squeezed out some water then sponged the shiny part carefully, not soaking the fabric too much, just letting the vinegar coat the spot. Let it sit for a few seconds than brush it with the dry part of the rag

It took two applications to get my jacket back to new. The vinegar smell disappeared by itself after a couple of hours, so no need to dryclean

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
sounds like your desk had something on it.

I dunno. It sounds possible--we know nothing about the cloth's quality or type. I wouldn't assume that RLBL is made of the best stuff. If I recall, they made some suits with synthetic blends.

Anyway, I've experienced rapid elbow shining even on relatively good cloths. I have an old navy blazer made by Oxxford that shined up after a week of wear. My other jackets, of equal or better quality, have been worn for months and years without any shining whatsoever.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I dunno. It sounds possible--we know nothing about the cloth's quality or type. I wouldn't assume that RLBL is made of the best stuff. If I recall, they made some suits with synthetic blends.

Anyway, I've experienced rapid elbow shining even on relatively good cloths. I have an old navy blazer made by Oxxford that shined up after a week of wear. My other jackets, of equal or better quality, have been worn for months and years without any shining whatsoever.

Excuse me, i actually own and wear one RLBL, the elbows arent shiney after 6 months

synthetic blends? give me a ******* break.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse me, i actually own and wear one RLBL, the elbows arent shiney after 6 months

confused.gif

im seriously worried about your mental conditions. mfan said "some" not all. RL Black Label stuff is not cream of the crop, some of the BL suit fabrics (made by Caruso) feel worse than my Hugo Boss. I like my Blue Label fabrics better sometimes...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not convinced about this vinegar concoction, especially on wool. Vinegar lightens colors, if you have white shirts that have ring around the collar, a dab of vinegar before washing cleans them up nice. I'd be afraid of the vinegar eating away at the wool or making it lighter in color. Hopefully neither will happen.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some does not equal all.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexor12
I just took some 12% vinegar (the ones most commonly sold in stores here, the clear natural kind), mixed about 1 part vinegar 1 part water and dipped a rag in it. Squeezed out some water then sponged the shiny part carefully, not soaking the fabric too much, just letting the vinegar coat the spot. Let it sit for a few seconds than brush it with the dry part of the rag

It took two applications to get my jacket back to new. The vinegar smell disappeared by itself after a couple of hours, so no need to dryclean

Not sure what 12% is. After reading this I was going to give it a try on a suit acket I have with some shiny elbows. Went into the kitchen and almost used white malt vinegar before I realized its different than reg white vinegar.

Seems in the UK they only sell reg white vinegar in spary bottles for cleaning purposes. And not at grocery stores. Strange

Originally Posted by edmorel
I am not convinced about this vinegar concoction, especially on wool. Vinegar lightens colors, if you have white shirts that have ring around the collar, a dab of vinegar before washing cleans them up nice. I'd be afraid of the vinegar eating away at the wool or making it lighter in color. Hopefully neither will happen.

Fo' reals?? Anyone else got some info on the vinegar before I end up with spotty elbows?

K

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Not sure what 12% is. After reading this I was going to give it a try on a suit acket I have with some shiny elbows. Went into the kitchen and almost used white malt vinegar before I realized its different than reg white vinegar.

Seems in the UK they only sell reg white vinegar in spary bottles for cleaning purposes. And not at grocery stores. Strange

K

OP is going to have everyone rubbing vinegar on their suits lmao

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads