• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic cocktails making a comeback

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The industry has seen a resurgence of drinks that hark back to the prewar eras of Prohibition and the Great Depression, such as the Sidecar, the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan.

[...]

"You're seeing a lot of darker flavours - honeys, blackberries and raspberries, versus things like pomegranate and papaya," Cohen said. "When times are tough we want to go to things that are comfortable ... that are part of our history."

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1123769

Wouldn't mind trying a Hemingway.

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The industry has seen a resurgence of drinks that hark back to the prewar eras of Prohibition and the Great Depression, such as the Sidecar, the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan.

[...]

"You're seeing a lot of darker flavours - honeys, blackberries and raspberries, versus things like pomegranate and papaya," Cohen said. "When times are tough we want to go to things that are comfortable ... that are part of our history."

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1123769

Wouldn't mind trying a Hemingway.

White Star in lower Manhattan by Chinatown. Only bar I know of with classic absinthe service. They make the Hemingway as well as many other great cocktails at reasonable (for NYC prices) $10 or so.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hardcore classic cocktail scene has been a phenomenon that's been "in the wild" for about 5-7 years, and a quieter sensation amongst devotees for over a decade.

A problem, however, with many of these classics is that they are made without the tradition they seemingly espouse -- a whisky sour with sour mix or some such is a travesty. As is a sidecar with some generic Triple Sec. Even now it is hard to find classic cocktails that are authentic and worthy of the name.

~ H

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
A problem, however, with many of these classics is that they are made without the tradition they seemingly espouse -- a whisky sour with sour mix or some such is a travesty. As is a sidecar with some generic Triple Sec. Even now it is hard to find classic cocktails that are authentic and worthy of the name.

~ H

Hell, I find the bigger problem is finding a bartender who knows how to make anything other than a Cosmo or a glass full of vodka. Don't they train these idiots?

Typical exchange:

Me: I'd like a Rob Roy.
Bartender: Sure thing....what's that exactly?
Me: <Sigh>...

Or worse yet, they make it with dry vermouth. Ugh.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, there are more, great tasting affordable brands of liquor. I can't believe the good bourbons available for $15-$25 a bottle, perfect straight or with good ingredients for a tasty cocktail.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Hell, I find the bigger problem is finding a bartender who knows how to make anything other than a Cosmo or a glass full of vodka. Don't they train these idiots?

Typical exchange:

Me: I'd like a Rob Roy.
Bartender: Sure thing....what's that exactly?
Me: <Sigh>...

Or worse yet, they make it with dry vermouth. Ugh.

That would be a dry rob roy...duh.

I also hate how everythig is related to the state of the economy. That **** is so lame. Maybe people realize that certain things are classic for reason; because they're good.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Hell, I find the bigger problem is finding a bartender who knows how to make anything other than a Cosmo or a glass full of vodka. Don't they train these idiots? Typical exchange: Me: I'd like a Rob Roy. Bartender: Sure thing....what's that exactly? Me: <Sigh>... Or worse yet, they make it with dry vermouth. Ugh.
Yeah, but the training is to meet the demands of the customer, and by and large that does not mean an education in the classics. My favorite Rob Roy story is when I walked into a bar, and noticed a bottle of sweet vermouth. I'm now really happy to have a Rob Roy to start. I say to the barkeep, "That bottle of vermouth tells me I can get a Rob Roy here, can do?" The barman assents, and I add "make it with Jameson's, up, thanks." It has a....funny color. Well, I don't use M&R vermouth, so it's probably that. I taste, and what the....? I apparently couldn't keep it off my face, and the I asked the concerned-looking bartender what was in it -- it was 2:1 Jameson's to maraschino cherry juice. You might enjoy this: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...IG3CI3E761.DTL Both sides have some value. As a patron, I will lay off a complicated drink in a packed house, but then again on the other side it seems that many barkeeps never want the challenge of a Manhattan, not that they're really that annoying. ~H

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often make manhattans myself as they are my favorite drink. They seem really easy to make. However, they must be incredibly difficult to make as I've only had a few done well at bars and restaurants.

That article said manhattans have too many ingredients...3 ingredients plus a cherry. How about all those girly drinks that have like 5 ingredients? What about a long island ice tea???

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily there are more than a couple of local places famous for their old-fashioned and manhattan. I've been doing that for a while now.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
That would be a dry rob roy...duh.

Which I've never ordered. I always order a Rob Roy, which in every bartending book I've seen is made with sweet vermouth. With dry vermouth it's called a Dry Rob Roy and with both sweet and dry it's called a Perfect Rob Roy.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And as to this idea that some drinks are too hard too make because of too many ingredients, like the Manhattan, and I suppose the Rob Roy which is just a variation: that's just pitiful. A straight up Manhattan is easy to make.

However, if you're the picky customer who wants it just that way, tell the bartender beforehand and tip accordingly.

b

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
I'm still having nightmares over an old-fashioned I got at one local place. The glass was topped with soda. If the place hadn't been so crowded (and I hadn't been so drunk and thirsty), I would've gone back to complain to the bartender about how the drink he served me was no old-fashioned.

Luckily the drink in question is real easy to make at home and is tasty even with cheaper bourbons. Def my favorite drink these days, along with Ward8.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
My favorite Rob Roy story is when I walked into a bar, and noticed a bottle of sweet vermouth. I'm now really happy to have a Rob Roy to start. I say to the barkeep, "That bottle of vermouth tells me I can get a Rob Roy here, can do?" The barman assents, and I add "make it with Jameson's, up, thanks."

I'll preface this by saying that although I have long enjoyed old fashioneds, I'm not a conoisseur of these things. However, Huntsman, as you seem to be something of a snob, I'll ask this question.

Asking for a Rob Roy with Irish whisky kind of destroys the whole concept, doesn't it? Having some Scottish blood, I'm actually inclined to be offended.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been up all night and could go for a Brandy Alexander right now.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'll preface this by saying that although I have long enjoyed old fashioneds, I'm not a conoisseur of these things. However, Huntsman, as you seem to be something of a snob, I'll ask this question. Asking for a Rob Roy with Irish whisky kind of destroys the whole concept, doesn't it? Having some Scottish blood, I'm actually inclined to be offended.
I'd hoped I didn't come across as a snob, at least in that I don't think I speak poorly of people who just don't know any better. As for the Rob Roy, well I don't know. I make them with Johnnie Black, but I didn't see any there. I really like Jameson, much more than.....I guess it was Dewar's that I saw, which I really dislike. I like to think that when you have some respect for how things are supposed to be that is the time when one can alter the 'rules' to suit one's taste, and perhaps, the circumstances. Begging your pardon all the same.
Originally Posted by King Francis
I've been up all night and could go for a Brandy Alexander right now.
Supposedly the original Alexander was made with gin, which is why the Brandy Alexander is the Brandy Alexander. I've done it with Plymouth. Odd. Eminently drinkable, though. I like them both. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads