• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this Suit Fit

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I took a gamble and bought a bespoke (to someone else) suit on eBay. I know that some people feel strongly against it, but I the numbers looked really good, and some of the details looked incredible (working cuff buttons, handmade button holes, etc).

In reality I think it is really close! There is something funky going on with the left sleeve - I measured and the sleeves come out the same length. Something else?

Here are the original photos as advertised.

Please tell me what you think, and thank you in advance!

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sleeves look about 1/2 inch short from the front, ok in the back, they are ok with the shirt, but if you ever wear something underneath w/o sleeves it might look off.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants fit very well. Did you already alter them? The jacket looks very good too although the sleeves are a tad short.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks like the guy it was made for might have been a hair heavier then you are.

I'd go for more waist suppression, and have the back taken in.

pants could be a touch longer.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Sleeves look about 1/2 inch short from the front, ok in the back, they are ok with the shirt, but if you ever wear something underneath w/o sleeves it might look off.

Agreed. Other than that, I like it. Maybe take in the waist a quarter inch?

Opermann

Reaction score
I'm no suit expert but it looks like the shoulders don't fit quite right.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
looks like the guy it was made for might have been a hair heavier then you are. I'd go for more waist suppression, and have the back taken in.
I would second that, but then again I'm very big on closely-fit suits.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about getting some more waist suppression. The sleeves don't look quite right, a big short in the front. Not a huge fan of the low button stance.

Pants look good. Maybe a tad longer on the back hem, front seems fine. Hard to tell with the shadows and what have you.

Overall looks like a pretty good score.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
I would second that, but then again I'm very big on closely-fit suits.

I 3rd that, tweak it just a tad. Flash some cuff on that jacket and don't you dare lengthen those trousers. Leave them alone! To finish the look, I hope you have a pocket square ready

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
The pants fit very well. Did you already alter them? The jacket looks very good too although the sleeves are a tad short.

Haven't altered ANYTHING yet - pulled it out of the box 5 minutes prior to taking the photos.

Thank you for all the comments so far - I can now see that the sleeves could be altered in the front only. I don't want to lose the working buttons!

How is the length of the jacket? That was a big concern for me. I was also worried about the shoulders, but they feel perfect!

And I was already planning on getting the waist suppression altered - I am a 32 waist, so there is A LOT of loose fabric there.
smile.gif

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Haven't altered ANYTHING yet - pulled it out of the box 5 minutes prior to taking the photos.

Thank you for all the comments so far - I can now see that the sleeves could be altered in the front only. I don't want to lose the working buttons!

How is the length of the jacket? That was a big concern for me. I was also worried about the shoulders, but they feel perfect!

And I was already planning on getting the waist suppression altered - I am a 32 waist, so there is A LOT of loose fabric there.
smile.gif

I'm a fan of shorter cut jackets (the length of it match or being slightly shorter than the sleeves) but yours is fine

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chest looks like it's ballooning out a little bit and the back around the armpits is loose. It might be enough to take in the back and/ or side seams a bit.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
I'm a fan of shorter cut jackets (the length of it match or being slightly shorter than the sleeves) but yours is fine

The length of the jacket being shorter than the sleeve length?? Can't picture it looking any good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads