• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine newbie

oceans11

Reaction score
I'm just barely getting into the wine scene & so far I'm understanding that I like the Red's a lot more than the Whites. I'm not sure but isn't that pretty natural for guys to like Reds more? I'm kind of confused on all the "let it breath" talk though. Is opening the wine & letting it breath REALLY necessary? For how long? Does it need to breath in a decanter or simply opening the bottle?

I know that's a lot of questions but I'm hoping to get some good answers from you guys who really like wine.

So far I'm liking Merlot's better than Cab's & my favorite right now is AiA from Sonoma I believe & I'm dying to find out all the hype about Cakebread.

freespirit

Reaction score
I suggest you go and find a good wine book and start at the beginning and read right through it. It will answer all of your questions and more. Also the book will be able to give you more insight into different countries and areas to guide you in your quest for more knowledge.

I think that Wine by Andre Domine is an excellent start,(i got it for $20 at Costco) or The Sommeliers Guide To Wine would be an excellent starting point.

Enjoy.

oceans11

Reaction score
Cool, thanks! I keep hearing Costco has some decent wines so I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by freespirit
I suggest you go and find a good wine book and start at the beginning and read right through it. It will answer all of your questions and more. Also the book will be able to give you more insight into different countries and areas to guide you in your quest for more knowledge.

I think that Wine by Andre Domine is an excellent start,(i got it for $20 at Costco) or The Sommeliers Guide To Wine would be an excellent starting point.

Enjoy.

mikeman

Reaction score
I have been getting into wine lately and I find it is just best to try a bunch of different wines,and see which you like best.But I think Im going to get a book since I want to know more.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the dollar-spot in target yesterday they had mini books:
Wine for Dummies
French wine for dummies
italian wine for dummies
california wine for dummies...all for a dollar (although of dubious value)

They also sell wine in cubes...though honestly I bought a small cube of the pinot grigio which I had heard won some fancy award (double gold or something) and at ~$11 for 2-bottles worth it was quite right. If I can find one of the reds that is as good (don't have as much want/need for a pinot grigio) it might just become my go-to cheap wine...bottles be damned

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads