• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are stainless appliances becoming passe?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Yes, many, although you don't normally see much of the kitchens in the really big houses. As many of them are converted to hotels or at least can be rented for weddings etc., I expect they have large industrial kitchens.

Smaller country houses will typically have old (or new) Aga cookers and all things belonging to the "country" style, authentic or faked/reconstructed. Kitchens are impractical and old-fashioned, and wilfully so.

With a very few exceptions, no stainless steel, very few modern or hi-tech appliances.

No. As far as I know, these would be modern houses to a great extent.

Well as you know from what I posted earlier, you will indeed not see the kitchen in the older estates. Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.

There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones. I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will. As I think most people will agree, when I think of white appliances, I think of cheap apartment buildings and student tenaments, or eastern europe.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Well as you know from what I posted earlier, you will indeed not see the kitchen in the older estates. Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.

There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones. I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will. As I think most people will agree, when I think of white appliances, I think of cheap apartment buildings and student tenaments, or eastern europe.

Do you like the look of white appliances?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I like white too. It's a matter of aesthetic taste more than anything else and I don't really care what the people living in SField Châteaux had. With that being said, I doubt you'd be making a big mistake when buying stainless, I just don't like it in most settings.

I brought that up because he said that SS is dated, when in fact it's been around for a very long time and will continue to be, especially with people who actually cook or in the less likely category, but equally as unlikely to have something that is dated, people who have other people cooking for them.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you like the look of white appliances?

Only a little less than black ones.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will...
How big a data set we talkin' here SF?
Two?
Twelve?
Two hundred?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Only a little less than black ones.

I hate blacks! Oh wait, wrong part of the forum.

Honestly I'd agree that you can't really go wrong with stainless, if that's all the OP wanted to know.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
How big a data set we talkin' here SF?
Two?
Twelve?
Two hundred?

More than I can count, (and two hundred is almost as high as I can count).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More than I can count, (and two hundred is almost as high as I can count).
What're you doing in these 200+ estates?
Delivering stuff?
Painting?
?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate blacks! Oh wait, wrong part of the forum.

Honestly I'd agree that you can't really go wrong with stainless, if that's all the OP wanted to know.

Exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Viking/Wolf/whatever else range and stove, Sub-zero and whatever else. That will never look dated, because it's been around for ******* forever. I've seen high end white and it just make the kitchen look like a giant ipod.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
What're you doing in these 200+ estates?
Delivering stuff?
Painting?
?

My mother is a prominent real estate agent who has done a lot of work with Sotheby's and related auction houses. As a result, I've lived in, and have frequently been to parties of her friends/clients with the kind of houses that we're discussing. This includes many locations in France, the UK, and like I said, those two locations in the US in particular. Being that I was so into cooking, I always checked out the kitchen.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Viking/Wolf/whatever else range and stove, Sub-zero and whatever else. That will never look dated, because it's been around for ******* forever. I've seen high end white and it just make the kitchen look like a giant ipod.

I happen to think Ipods (and high end white appliances in general) are visually appealing. Yeah, lots of people like 'em, I don't care. I also think Braun has good designs so I guess I'm not afraid to mingle with the multitude from time to time.

As long as some two-bit moron doesn't want to destroy the estate and build an ugly McMansion in it's place I'm sure we can find room to disagree.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to think Ipods (and high end white appliances in general) are visually appealing. Yeah, lots of people like 'em, I don't care. I also think Braun has good designs so I guess I'm not afraid to mingle with the multitude from time to time.

As long as some two-bit moron doesn't want to destroy the estate and build an ugly McMansion in it's place I'm sure we can find room to disagree.

Look, I don't really care, nor do I think you are Lucky Strike cares a lot about this topic. I am not going to judge someone based on the color of their appliances. I just too exception to the idea that stainless steel dates a place, which in many contexts it doesn't. Sure if it's the cheap stuff, then I agree, but pro grade stuff always will and always has come in SS. It's functional and to me it just makes a lot of sense.

I do remember when every gadget and TV was being made in SS plastic look-a-like. For a while in the 90s, everything was metallic looking. Then came the Ipod which made glossy white really cool, and shortly thereafter glossy black plastic became cool too. Do I think imitation SS dates something? Yes. But in a kitchen, it's like the most natural and logical thing you can do, but that's comming from someone who cooks a lot and has spent time in pro kitchens.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones.
No.
There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones.
Yes.
I brought that up because he said that SS is dated, when in fact it's been around for a very long time and will continue to be, especially with people who actually cook or in the less likely category, but equally as unlikely to have something that is dated, people who have other people cooking for them.
If people have other people cooking for them, they rarely give a flying **** about what the colour scheme of the kitchen is.
My mother is a prominent real estate agent who has done a lot of work with Sotheby's and related auction houses.
Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.
I appraise antiques for a "related" auction house.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I appraise antiques for a "related" auction house.

And I'm sure the market for those things in Norway is just massive.

B1FF

Reaction score
What? Are you insane? Have you ever been in an English manor house, or especially a great french chateau? Have you ever been to Greenwich CT or Westchester NY? I'm guessing not, unless whatever passes for fine homes and estates in Norway is different than in these locations. Restauarant type equipment is so common in these types of homes that I really question if we're talking about the same things.

The few I've seen had kitchens about the size of a deck of cards and appliances that probably pre-date the patenting of stainless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads