• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patterning both pocket square and tie?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So what are the rules when it comes to matching pocket squares and ties?

Is it possible to make both patterned? My PS's are patterned so I dont have alot of choice.

What is the best way to make them both patterned or is this a no-no?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Hey everyone, So what are the rules when it comes to matching pocket squares and ties? Is it possible to make both patterned? My PS's are patterned so I dont have alot of choice. What is the best way to make them both patterned or is this a no-no?
Get them in yellow to make your piss stained suits and you'll be good to go!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Get them in yellow to make your piss stained suits and you'll be good to go!

Troll alert.

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can both be patterned as long as it doesn't look too busy, though matching patterns is an art in itself...

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Hi idfnl,

I avoid matching them at all costs, both in pattern and colour.
Matched PS and tie looks like you've just walked out of the Tie Rack having purchased a budget set.

There is no aesthetic reason to match them. And every style reason not to!

For example, my navy PS with white polka dots looks wonderful with my solid gold tie.

And my maroon PS with white diamonds looks fantastic with my blue & green regimental tie.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
Hi idfnl,

I avoid matching them at all costs, both in pattern and colour.
Matched PS and tie looks like you've just walked out of the Tie Rack having purchased a budget set.

There is no aesthetic reason to match them. And every style reason not to!

For example, my navy PS with white polka dots looks wonderful with my solid gold tie.

And my maroon PS with white diamonds looks fantastic with my blue & green regimental tie.

I wasnt actually suggesting matching them exactly, although re-reading my post makes it sound like I am saying that. What I meant was, asthetically, does it look good to have a pattern on your tie and a different pattern on your PS or should one or the other be a solid color?

Sounds like the answer is yes, but be careful not to make it look too busy.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
idfnl;1617163 said:
Sounds like the answer is yes, but be careful not to make it look too busy.[/QUOTE
You got it.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I wasnt actually suggesting matching them exactly, although re-reading my post makes it sound like I am saying that. What I meant was, asthetically, does it look good to have a pattern on your tie and a different pattern on your PS or should one or the other be a solid color?

Sounds like the answer is yes, but be careful not to make it look too busy.

Initially I too thought you meant a tie & PS made of the same material ... an obvious no-no!

But different patterns ... sure, why not! Just follow the same guidelines as you do for matching the rest of your ensemble.

sloane3

Reaction score
Ricci has handmade neckties with matching square and cufflinks.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I did this on New Years and thought it looked great.
smile.gif

tiesquarezi1.jpg

Thats exactly the kind of thing I had in mind

sloane3

Reaction score
Is it just me or does Robert Talbott make some butt fugly ties.

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3
Ricci has handmade neckties with matching square and cufflinks.

Are you thinking of Steffano Ricci which are high end ties? I think the matching set you posted is dubious quality and best avoided.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads