• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whey protein love!

aleeboy

Reaction score
All,

I've been taking Whey protein now for the last four weeks. I'm impressed with what this dietary supplement has to offer. So far, the increases I've seen are:

- increased body weight: + 5kg to 90kg
- increased chest and back: shirts are now straining at the buttons
- increased poundage on all lifts
- increased arm size: +1cm (normally takes me 6 months)
- last and not least... increased nastiness of my exhaust fumes

Anyone also experience the benefits above?

Enlighten me.

Thanks

AL

bowlhead99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
All,

I've been taking Whey protein now for the last four weeks. I'm impressed with what this dietary supplement has to offer. So far, the increases I've seen are:

AL

I successfully reduced my weight (to 83kg/183lbs) from 113kg/249lbs) over about a year whilst incorporating whey and mrps into my diet. Whey is just a food that sits squarely in one food group, so like any other food the results depend on what else you eat and what workouts you do.

You could get similar results in terms of nutrition by eating chicken breasts or egg whites. If you suddenly started eating lots of them on top of your regular diet, you would probably add weight, as you have done. Calories in vs calories burned etc will contribute to bigger/fatter arms.

Whey is not exactly a miracle supplement, it is absorbed slightly quicker than eggs but you can get basically the same effects with 'real' food. Unlike creatine for example where you would have to eat way too much steak to get the same dose as a spoonful of powder.

Taxler

Reaction score
I don't think whey protein was responsible for all that in 4 weeks. Perhaps the combination of other changes to your diet and activity level contributed as well?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ON 100% whey > all. Still getting 10lb bags for under 70 bucks.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I'm not picky about it, I get the 80% protein in bulk for cheap, taste and flavor don't mean much to me, and I see how a lot of people had a "sugar upbringing" while they review protein brands on other sites and speak about how well it tastes. By buying in bulk, no brand, if you're like me, you can get it for much cheaper.

I'm not saying anyone here does but no one should live off of protein shakes. They're good to have some intake with other foods to aid with its diggestion and to get you the daily protein your body needs. It alone can't make magic, but if you have a balanced diet and a healthy life style (like doing some sort of exercise) then you will see some gains with it
rimshot.gif
smiley2.gif
champagne.gif

Lucky7

Reaction score
All,

- increased chest and back: shirts are now straining at the buttons
- increased poundage on all lifts
- increased arm size: +1cm (normally takes me 6 months)
- last and not least... increased nastiness of my exhaust fumes

Anyone also experience the benefits above?

Enlighten me.

Thanks

AL

Whey is good stuff, but I'll agree with other posters on this one. The increased weight, and arm size has to be the result of other variables as well. Whey is great stuff, but no miracle potion. Maybe intensity of workouts has something to do with this (GIVE YOURSELF SOME CREDIT TOO!)

RVAduffer

Reaction score
Chocolate flavored muscle milk is delicious but it is just a food. I take a serving in my shake bottle immideately after lifting weights

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muscle milk is the most fattening protein powder you can buy. It's loaded with junk but ya it tastes good
smile.gif

RVAduffer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
Muscle milk is the most fattening protein powder you can buy. It's loaded with junk but ya it tastes good
smile.gif

They are supposed to be "good" fats.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pure junk. Check the many threads on bodybuilding.com forums on the subject. I use Syntha-6 mixed and have read Ultra Peptide tastes really good (although not muscle milk good) and has a quality profile.
Originally Posted by RVAduffer
They are supposed to be "good" fats.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
last and not least... increased nastiness of my exhaust fumes

Is this a permanent "benefit" or does your body adapt after a few months?

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
ON 100% whey > all. Still getting 10lb bags for under 70 bucks.

+1

Probably the most pure stuff out there for the price. Double rich chocolate is def the best tasting flavor of whey powder I've had.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had this on wheycheap.com today for very cheap

Originally Posted by wiscogooner
+1

Probably the most pure stuff out there for the price. Double rich chocolate is def the best tasting flavor of whey powder I've had.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
They had this on wheycheap.com today for very cheap

I've never had the coffee flavor before, it looks like that's the special for today.

I've had their cookies & cream flavored stuff and it's sort of gross.

but whatever. you take whey protein for the protein, not to savor it.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
Whey is good stuff, but I'll agree with other posters on this one. The increased weight, and arm size has to be the result of other variables as well. Whey is great stuff, but no miracle potion. Maybe intensity of workouts has something to do with this (GIVE YOURSELF SOME CREDIT TOO!)

Well... I have had the luxury of extra time to commit to working out and getting more sleep. I pretty much worked out 10 times over a two week period using a split routine. I ate five times a day of pretty much anything and consumed three protein shakes - off days: morning, an hour after dinner and just before bed. On days: pre and post workout, afternoon, after dinner and before bed.

The free time allowed me to focus on a split routine. I also have an arms day, which I think helped me to put a cm on in that time. Also, I have a disk herniation, so I don't squat or deadlift or do any DB pressing (bench or overhead). Looks like gains can be made without. It's all about intensity and increasing poundage. Oh yeah... one more thing... I managed to put in 12 hours of sleep per day. I thin this was a big factor. I now have come back to reality - 5 - 6 hours per night.

With regards to how long the nasty exhaust remains, I think it is temporary. I just started taking Creatine and it appears to have a multiplying affect on the nastiness. A factor of 3 I believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads