• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of the new Z4?

bingusa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I think the gender of a car is more related to its shape than its engine. Dan Neil wrote a great article on this issue a while ago in his review of the echt chick car, the Lexus SC430:

http://beta.cars.com/go/crp/research...=&aff=national

--Andre

Interesting article and nice ending - "After all, gender is only skin deep but beauty goes right to the bone."

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
A dollar says the people who think twin-turbo BMW's are for girls have never worked on a car in their life. This is a web-site for fashion, not cars, so stick to commenting on stuff you know about. It makes you look less moronic in front of people who actually know what they are talking about.
You can put a twin turbo on a vw and it will still be a girl's car. A z (the 3 or 4) has always and will always be a female car. Just like the tiny Mercedes convertibles and that hideous Lexus. The current Z with the biggest engine available only very slightly beats my supercharged range to 60. The range is a man's car (although a lot of women try to drive one). The Z is a women's car. You need to know what YOU are talking about before you try to put someone down. A twin turbo will never be the end of the conversation in determining if a woman should drive it. I know about 5 women that drive z's....I know 0 men who do and 0 who want one.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither the Mercedes nor Lexus share a design lineage with classic British roadsters. Which were (are) most certainly not chick cars (talk to Brock Shelby). (The same goes for the modern Mini - anyone who thinks a man is out of place in one of those is an ignorant fool.)

As to VWs being chick cars - air-cooled VWs, really? The VW GTI, really? R32?

I don't want a Z because they've been ugly ever since the first redesign. Too many angles and whatnot on the sides - loved the graceful lines of the original. I'd love to get my hands on a first gen M Coupe some day.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
You can put a twin turbo on a vw and it will still be a girl's car. A z (the 3 or 4) has always and will always be a female car. Just like the tiny Mercedes convertibles and that hideous Lexus.

The current Z with the biggest engine available only very slightly beats my supercharged range to 60. The range is a man's car (although a lot of women try to drive one). The Z is a women's car.

You need to know what YOU are talking about before you try to put someone down. A twin turbo will never be the end of the conversation in determining if a woman should drive it.

I know about 5 women that drive z's....I know 0 men who do and 0 who want one.

The Range Rover is a great vehicle, and your right, I do see mainly women driving them, but it's not that quick, and neither is a 350Z or the new 370Z. The 135i with the factory available Dinan chip will (and has) smash the new Z (we're talking high 12s here with just one warranty approved mod) and most other things for that matter. The new Z4 is only going to be faster and better in every way.

A new Z4 with an LSD, tires and the factory-chip will absolutely dominate in Coupe form. The convertible is the option for women undoubtedly, but real enthusiasts will opt for the Coupe.

KBW

Reaction score
supercharged range is about 7 flat to 60...that is damn good for an SUV. I don't try to drag race it so it is more than fast enough for me.

I could buy a Evo and put less than 40K in it and have a faster car than any z4 they can make if that is all you are going for (btw I'd never drive an Evo).

I call it a female's car because it is tiny and "cute" looking. I drove my cousins current model z4 when his mom bought it for him because she couldn't drive a stick and it was so small I could barely drive it (I'm only slightly over 6')

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Neither the Mercedes nor Lexus share a design lineage with classic British roadsters. Which were (are) most certainly not chick cars (talk to Brock Shelby). (The same goes for the modern Mini - anyone who thinks a man is out of place in one of those is an ignorant fool.)

As to VWs being chick cars - air-cooled VWs, really? The VW GTI, really? R32?

I don't want a Z because they've been ugly ever since the first redesign. Too many angles and whatnot on the sides - loved the graceful lines of the original. I'd love to get my hands on a first gen M Coupe some day.

I was meaning the vw bug when speaking of vw's relations to a chick car. My fiancee recently was given a V8 Touareg for Christmas by her parents and I would definitely drive it.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
supercharged range is about 7 flat to 60...that is damn good for an SUV. I don't try to drag race it so it is more than fast enough for me.

Are you bragging about driving a Range Rover? Wow..

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

Not at all just using something I know very well as an example of a man's car. I just started selling cars (I'm not a salesman I own the business) that are far beyond a Range Rover. I got heat for bragging about stuff in the past when I posted pictures so I don't even list much anymore. This is supposed to be a high end forum in a way so no a range is not really special.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

What is wrong with a range rover? As far as physical appearance it's the best looking SUV out there.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont care if they put a quad turbo 16 banger in a z4, it is a girly looking car. I am not saying the driving experience will be poor, but it is not a masculine care in the least... plus at 3500 lbs, its not going to be too nimble. A Miata is a drivers car. Handles like a dream, you can cheaply and easily add power, its just fun to drive, but what guy would buy one?

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I dont care if they put a quad turbo 16 banger in a z4, it is a girly looking car. I am not saying the driving experience will be poor, but it is not a masculine care in the least... plus at 3500 lbs, its not going to be too nimble. A Miata is a drivers car. Handles like a dream, you can cheaply and easily add power, its just fun to drive, but what guy would buy one?

Well I rode in my friends 500 hp fluin miata turbo. Fun and fear kinda outweigh the girlieness of it.

Planning to get either a lotus elise, 550 spyder or another 914 in a year. Hardly call any of them masculine in appearance.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
A short deck and a long hood are signature design cues of a roadster; see the Z4 or a Miata or a classic Jag XK. Not nimble? Well, here is the OLD Z4 in M trim that will has less HP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2oo...next=1&index=5 You're talking about manly cars on a forum that has a bunch of men who care more about how they dress than most women I know. If anything I would think people on this forum would understand better than most that not every guy not wants to drive around in a Camaro or a stupid SUV.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
SUV is a girls car

Unless it's a Scout, 68 bronco or a defender.

I say stupid to differentiate some from those that aren't. I'm not one of those SUV haters that drives a SMART car. LOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads