• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freemans Sporting Club suits and other clothes

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Yes this would be like having a trunk show and making appointments there now and then over his studio. But, you made it sound like he was a regular employee there day in and day out to peddle his wares. Again, you don't have a jacket style named after you...so you probably do know more about it.

I don't claim to know anything more than what I was told by Thom Browne and the staff at Bergdorf. I didn't say he was a "regular employee" of Bergdorf (like a sales associate), only that he worked there a few days a week in his own section of the store. It was not a periodic trunk show arrangement. After all, he was not the important designer he is now.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Yes, he was more important then.

But to the guy going ot Freeman's make sure you get lunch behind and have the Devil on Horseback or whatever they are called apps. Very, very good.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I am also down over 30lbs since I was measured for my first MTM suit there, and they have been great about cutting it down to fit.
So, you're the guy. You're almost at legend status over there...

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
If I remember correctly the shorter coat was $1600 last year. I can see why it didn't sell.

lefty

Yep, I believe the shorter was about $1,600 and there was a longer (maybe a shave bit more than 3/4-length) peacoat for about $1,800. I had a hard time taking that off after trying it on.

Yes, he was more important then.

But to the guy going ot Freeman's make sure you get lunch behind and have the Devil on Horseback or whatever they are called apps. Very, very good.

I think I had those. I also highly recommend the roulade of rabbit if you get a chance to have dinner at the restaurant.

Now who's this Thom Browne sales clerk you guys are arguing about?
stirpot.gif

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
i've been meaning to check out freemans for quite some time now. this lovely thread will give me the final push to finally go there and get some good items.

any recommendations other than a suit?

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
i've been meaning to check out freemans for quite some time now. this lovely thread will give me the final push to finally go there and get some good items.

any recommendations other than a suit?

I'll look for the ties I got from there and post pics later if I remember. I'm happy with the deadstock wool ties and they aren't terribly expensive at around $60. The peacoats are attractive but expensive; same with the shaving accessories. It's worth going in and looking around; it won't take you long. Couldn't hurt to have a drink or app at the bar in their restaurant around the corner at the end of the alley.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any opinions on the sweaters? Do they fit true to size?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're addictive. The artichoke dip is also delicious.

akaidiot

Reaction score
Not that this really has anything to do with Freeman's clothes or food, but I used to live in 8 Rivington (same building where Freeman's Sporting Club is now, but back then it was a furniture place) and the trash can for the building was in that same alley as the restaurant. A couple of times a year they would have some private event at the restaurant but set up the velvet rope at the beginning of the alley, right there on Rivington. I went down to take the trash out one night in shorts and flip flops and the woman working the velvet rope wouldn't believe me that I was just trying to take out my trash and tried to have security guards stop me from going into the alley; she thought I was trying to sneak into the event and my trash bag was a ploy.

NYC is pretty ridiculous sometimes.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need this - Double breasted cardigan:

18181.jpg

Nice shade of blue:
18183.jpg

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
They're addictive. The artichoke dip is also delicious.
I'm not particularly disagreeing, and I really like freemans, but in terms of the food, there are other places downtown that put out much better rustic new american at the moment.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't claim to know anything more than what I was told by Thom Browne and the staff at Bergdorf. I didn't say he was a "regular employee" of Bergdorf (like a sales associate), only that he worked there a few days a week in his own section of the store. It was not a periodic trunk show arrangement. After all, he was not the important designer he is now.

I remember reading some interview on Thom Browne where he said in the beginning he was always running around town trying to sell his suits and doing whatever he could to promote them. I would not doubt it if someone like you is saying that he was there to talk to customers and sell his line personally.

But socal is probably right. After all he is fashion jesus.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I remember reading some interview on Thom Browne where he said in the beginning he was always running around town trying to sell his suits and doing whatever he could to promote them. I would not doubt it if someone like you is saying that he was there to talk to customers and sell his line personally.

But socal is probably right. After all he is fashion jesus.

His old studio was not in Tribeca and more Chelsea/Meatpacking. He also used to sit in front of Pastis wearing his suits as a way to market them.

I'm glad your RSS Feed on me is working. stopstalkingmekthxbai

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
So, you're the guy. You're almost at legend status over there...
I'm afraid to ask . . . . I can't imagine that's a good thing. The trout at the restaurant is good too. There are better "rustic american" restaurants in NYC, but everything I've had at Freeman's has been good, and I can't say that about the other places. Also none of the others sport the collection of bearded, flanneled, red-wing-wearing hipsters who look like they took a wrong turn at an Oregon lumber yard and somehow were magically transported to NY.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His old studio was not in Tribeca and more Chelsea/Meatpacking. He also used to sit in front of Pastis wearing his suits as a way to market them. I'm glad your RSS Feed on me is working. stopstalkingmekthxbai
socal, did i talk about his studio? what relevance does that have? and also, stopstalkingmekthxbai

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads