• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freemans Sporting Club suits and other clothes

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the Shacket is just an unconstructed jacket.
note the lapels and the opening at the bottom.
stupid details like the usless button/buttonhole at the bottom of the fronts annoy me. I do like the pocket shape.
you better not spend any time at the gym or try to drive a car. those sleeves are so tight that there is no way to move comfortably. but of course it is perfect for anorexic hipsters.

Carl

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
stupid details like the usless button/buttonhole at the bottom of the fronts annoy me. I do like the pocket shape.
you better not spend any time at the gym or try to drive a car. those sleeves are so tight that there is no way to move comfortably. but of course it is perfect for anorexic hipsters.

Carl

I do have one where they dropped the useless buttons on the bottom. It was the only cotton shacket I could find - all the others are made from their deadstock wool. For what it's worth I'm not anorexic and my hipster days are past me, but I agree that they run small and a little tight.

I don't believe they ever made that peacoat. They had a run of shorter coats last year, but I haven't been in this year to see what's new.

The restaurant is great for winter fare.

lefty

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I make more of a shirt out of heavy cotton or lightweight wools. whoopie posted a cashmere one ages ago.
sometimes we use a regular collar and sometimes a PJ type collar. pocket details depend on the weight of the fabric.

I wear one out of a heavy weight navy cotton pique. it is all shirt construction with a yoke and cuffs. One of my tailors would have no problem making more of a jacket. I have some pendelton fabrics that would look good in that model.

we just made a nice safari jacket. I should post a picture one of these days.

Carl

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carl

Yep, an unconstructed jacket. I'm a 38short and by no means an anorexic hipster; my favorite feature is just how spot-on the sleeves feel/fit. Oh, and I've driven a car a number of times with it on...no problems there.

Unless you've actually tried the jacket on, why the e-hate?

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I don't believe they ever made that peacoat. They had a run of shorter coats last year, but I haven't been in this year to see what's new.

They did the 1/2 and full-length peacoats this year, but they hasn't sold all that well.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I make more of a shirt out of heavy cotton or lightweight wools. whoopie posted a cashmere one ages ago.
sometimes we use a regular collar and sometimes a PJ type collar. pocket details depend on the weight of the fabric.

I wear one out of a heavy weight navy cotton pique. it is all shirt construction with a yoke and cuffs. One of my tailors would have no problem making more of a jacket. I have some pendelton fabrics that would look good in that model.

we just made a nice safari jacket. I should post a picture one of these days.

Carl

Sounds similar to the one I have from FSC - heavy navy cotton. Probably shorter than yours though.

Originally Posted by scruff
They did the 1/2 and full-length peacoats this year, but they hasn't sold all that well.

If I remember correctly the shorter coat was $1600 last year. I can see why it didn't sell.

lefty

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shacket bugs me.

The basic unconstructed sport coat styling is fine.

But the extra patch pocket, plus their size and prominence, is a little too mammary-like.

This is the danger of double patch pockets generally.

Not that I don't have many shirt-jackets with them.

Carl even restyled the collar of a vintage Saks number for me last season.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
He never worked out of Bergdorf Goodman so he was probably there for a trunk show at the time or some random occasion.

He had a section there and his own boutique. He was at Bergdorf a few days a week; I know that for sure.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Yep, an unconstructed jacket. I'm a 38short and by no means an anorexic hipster; my favorite feature is just how spot-on the sleeves feel/fit. Oh, and I've driven a car a number of times with it on...no problems there.

Unless you've actually tried the jacket on, why the e-hate?

I would assume that you bought a size that fits rather then being sized down as on this model.
were sleeves lined? otherwise it seems like you will be pulling your sleeves inside out everytime you take that jacket off.
my biggest issue was ther term.Shacket. not sure if it is one coined by the poster or FSC.

the garment is a jacket.
old woolrich and pendelton made a heayweight shirt
a CPO jacket is a shirt

ClassicGarnish

Reaction score
How does the sizing run on the shacket? According to Refinery29, they make an XS. Would that be appropriate for a 36?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
He had a section there and his own boutique. He was at Bergdorf a few days a week; I know that for sure.

Right, I forgot who I was talking too here. The great and powerful Oz.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never remember seeing him at BG, but maybe I missed him...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Right, I forgot who I was talking too here. The great and powerful Oz.

Would that make you Dorothy?

I'm sorry that I've stepped onto your turf and it makes you feel less special, but Thom Browne himself told me what days he was working at Bergdorf and that he could meet me there or at his boutique, whichever would be more convenient for me. This was between late 2003 and mid 2004, before he'd become more a brand than a guy selling MTM suits.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get back to the subject and away from the Thom Browne pissing contest . . . .

I have 3 suits from Freemans. The first is linked above. The second is back there for tailoring due to weight loss. The third is an OTR tweed number they are tailoring for me as well (they are probably ready, but I have been out of town).

I have nothing but good things to say about them. The fabrics are cool, if not necessarily luxurious. As mentioned they are using old bolts of discontinued wool. No telling where it comes from, but sometimes they have a little to choose from and sometimes they have a lot. It tend to be sturdy stuff - 90's, 100's. I doubt you'd find thread count much higher than 120's there, and that would be pretty rare.

The suits are made by Martin Greenfield. My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that they have a couple of options for suits at MG, one with more machine work than the other. The Freeman's models appear to have more handwork than other MG suits I have seen (such as the Golden Fleece).

The MTM guy, Alex, is really knowledgeable and is easy to work with. Their tailor is great - I am pretty hard to fit and he does an awesome job. Also, if you buy an OTR suit they will pretty much tailor the hell out of it for you for free. Lets say you'd rather have roped shoulders - no problem. Like a suit they have in size 44 but wish it was a 42? They will totally tear it apart and re-cut it for you with pretty good results. One guy who works there has a suit that has been completely re-tailored to resemble a tight fitting Wes Anderson "small suit." I am also down over 30lbs since I was measured for my first MTM suit there, and they have been great about cutting it down to fit.

There are two downsides: The first is price. The suits are not cheap and they don't really go on sale - maybe 15-20% at best. I got a great discount on my 3rd suit but I think it's because I've spent so much dough there at this point.

Second, they don't line the pants and seem to have strong opinions against it. I like lined pants, but couldn't get them to do it (I didn't push very hard). That took some getting used to.

To me, the suits feel like what a suit would have been like in 1850, when you had a local guy make your clothes for you. They aren't high-style, but they aren't trad either - something in between. I wholeheartedly recommend them if you are willing to pay the freight.

Any other questions PM me. I think I know that place pretty well at this point.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Would that make you Dorothy?

I'm sorry that I've stepped onto your turf and it makes you feel less special, but Thom Browne himself told me what days he was working at Bergdorf and that he could meet me there or at his boutique, whichever would be more convenient for me. This was between late 2003 and mid 2004, before he'd become more a brand than a guy selling MTM suits.

Yes this would be like having a trunk show and making appointments there now and then over his studio. But, you made it sound like he was a regular employee there day in and day out to peddle his wares. Again, you don't have a jacket style named after you...so you probably do know more about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads