• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfa Romeo - Grand Prix and Sports Cars

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my image archives:

Some Early Grand Prix Cars

Mid-1920s Team Photo - On the Boards at Brooklands
AlfaRomeoTeam-Brooklands.jpg

1937 Monaco GP, 8C-35, Carlos Maria Pincatuda, 9th Place
AlfaRomeo-1937MonacoCMPintacuda8C-3.jpg

1950 British GP Silverstone, Pre-Race, Tipo 158, #1 Fangio, #2 Fagioli, #3 Farina (number not visible), #4 Parnell (barely visible behind Fangio's car)
AlfaRomeo-1581950May13BritishGPSilv.jpg

1951 Juan Manuel Fangio in Tipo 159, Publicity Photo at Alfa Romeo Factory
AlfaRomeo159-Fangio1951.jpg

1951 French GP at Reims, Juan Manuel Fangio, Tipo 159, 1st Place
AlfaRomeo-1951FrenchGPReimsFangioWi.jpg

---

The Tipo 33 Sports Racer

1967 - The first T-33 under construction in the Autodelta (factory racing division) shop
AlfaRomeo-1967T33ConstructionatWork.jpg

1969 - Sicilian Nino Vaccarella (pictured), Andrea de Adamich at the Targa Florio
AlfaRomeoT3325-1969TargaVaccarellaD.jpg

1971 - Andrea de Adamich (pictured), Henri Pescarolo, BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch
AlfaRomeo-T33Pescarolo-DeAdamichBra.jpg

1971 - Toine Hezemans (pictured), Rolf Stommelen, BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch
AlfaRomeo-T33Stommelen-HezemansBran.jpg

1972 - Nurburgring, Rolf Stommelen Airborne at Flugplatz
AlfaRomeo-T33StommelenNurburg1972.jpg

___

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
From my image archives:

1972 - Nurburgring, Rolf Stommelen Airborne at Flugplatz
AlfaRomeo-T33StommelenNurburg1972.jpg

___

I still can't believe people raced on the 'Ring without the armco. I had several "oh ****!" moments when driving it in the rain, but I would have much rather hit armco than a tree.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
I still can't believe people raced on the 'Ring without the armco. I had several "oh ****!" moments when driving it in the rain, but I would have much rather hit armco than a tree.

Before your forum registration date, I did a little thread on Flying Cars at the Nurburgring. Perhaps it would interest you.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=37198

___

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Wow! You've actually driven there? Tell us about it!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full Canvas; these are great!

Please keep them coming. Please?

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Wow! You've actually driven there? Tell us about it!

In short: heaven. I'm sure everyone has heard it before, but if you're a gearhead, you must make the pilgrimage to The Nurburgring at least once in your life.

Other than that, what do you want to know? I have an overload of bookmarked websites, files, pictures, and notes from my research and my time at the 'Ring.

Final quick thought: Even though my lap times were in the 10-12 minute range, it seems much shorter, and it takes a lot more out of you physically than you expect.

zeni

Reaction score
Nurburgring is open for anyone to drive right? I'm not too familiar with it but I work at a private track and people talk about it quite a bit. I take it from all those awesome mid-air pics that there are a lot of elevation changes eh?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeni
Nurburgring is open for anyone to drive right? I'm not too familiar with it but I work at a private track and people talk about it quite a bit. I take it from all those awesome mid-air pics that there are a lot of elevation changes eh?

Depending upon the configuration of the track and the time period in history, course length has ranged from approximately three miles to fourteen miles. Total elevation change on the long course exceeds nine hundred feet.

It is open to the public. I couldn't say what the current cost per lap happens to be. The last time I drove the course, I paid four Deutsche Marks per lap. There was no such thing as a currency called the Euro at that time!

___

zeni

Reaction score
Wow fourteen miles? I bet it was pretty treacherous back in the day. Hope you have some more Alfa pics for us
smile.gif

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeni

Its considered a public toll road. For a low number of laps, it comes out to roughly $25/lap. I believe the prices are broken down on the Ring website. If not, there are lots of fan sites with that information.

As for elevation changes, not only is there a huge delta over the course, but there are also quick changes throughout. If you're going fast enough, you have to understand how to (and where to) hit the brakes quickly. If not, you're going to lose balance on the car and skid off the road.

And yes, it is still treacherous. Several crashes a day and estimated dozens of deaths a year. I spent months of driving simulators just to learn the curves, and I still wasn't properly prepared.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look it up on youtube you will find plenty of old and new videos of the course. A great one is of JAckie Stewary in the 70s in an F1 car, with him narrating. Great stuff. Even today, I wouldn't ride that track in a motorcycle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads