• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are stainless appliances becoming passe?

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
+1. My aunt and uncle live in Italy, in a villa built in the 17th century IIRC. The previous owner put in one of those industrial fridges that you describe and marble countertops. It looks better than 95% of McMansion kitchens around today.

Marble countertop and an industrial fridge. Sorry but that's exactly what I picture in a "McMansion" kitchen.

This is a Sub-Zero Pro 48.

Unless you meant it looks better than 95% of the other McMansion kitchens around.

subzeropro48.jpg

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Stainless has been and always will be the baseline.
Perhaps so, but I do wish it wasn't quite so ubiquitous. It's the kitchen equivalent of driving a Camry or an Accord. Works well, sure, but absolutely everyone else has one.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SystemShock
Perhaps so, but I do wish it wasn't quite so ubiquitous.

It's the kitchen equivalent of driving a Camry or an Accord. Works well, sure, but absolutely everyone else has one.

No, think of the base line more like a Benz as the base line.
Look at a brand like TurboChef, I think the concept is awesome, but the look will not last.
I think that the more you try to avoid stainless, the larger the risk you take at purchasing something that will look like the harvest gold of the 70's.
I also think that while now almost everyone has one, not everyone will in 5 years, which makes it not passe, the ones that value stainless for what it is and how it performs will still have it. The others that bought it as a trend will have moved on to what ever is in at that time.
Like Selvedge denim....been around forever, became a trend a year ago, and its already moved away and onto something else.
Is selvedge passe?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Our appliances are matte black or a textured gloss black. This fits in well with our dark cherry cabinets. I like the look of stainless in a modern house but fingerprints can be a problem.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makushin
I'm about to purchase a new refrigerator. I have a choice between black and stainless.

what color are the stove and dishwasher? just don't let the fridge clash and make the other stuff look dumpy.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebenga
Marble countertop and an industrial fridge. Sorry but that's exactly what I picture in a "McMansion" kitchen.

This is a Sub-Zero Pro 48.

Unless you meant it looks better than 95% of the other McMansion kitchens around.

I think what would separate it from the average mcmansion kitchen would be the lack of those stupid ******* bar stools, overdecorated island, and lack of useless enormous size. Personally I think kitchens should be more sequestered. I think there's something really subeconomical about an open concept kitchen. It's crass. That will change over time. Kitchens will become separate rooms in the future, rather than a part of this big massive great room. There's nothing more depressing to me, than having a big screen tv, big bulbous leather couches, and those hideous dining room sets with the velvet or suede covered chairs, all in the same stupid huge room as the kitchen, where nothing more than bought in chicken wings and a forlorn cru d'ete that doesn't even get touched but is merely there for appearances stands on some garish granite top.

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think what would separate it from the average mcmansion kitchen would be the lack of those stupid ******* bar stools, overdecorated island, and lack of useless enormous size. Personally I think kitchens should be more sequestered. I think there's something really subeconomical about an open concept kitchen. It's crass. That will change over time. Kitchens will become separate rooms in the future, rather than a part of this big massive great room. There's nothing more depressing to me, than having a big screen tv, big bulbous leather couches, and those hideous dining room sets with the velvet or suede covered chairs, all in the same stupid huge room as the kitchen, where nothing more than bought in chicken wings and a forlorn cru d'ete that doesn't even get touched but is merely there for appearances stands on some garish granite top.

51052~Rage-Against-The-Machine-Posters.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever is wrong with white appliances? They're hygienic, classic and neutral-looking. I tried shopping around for a white fridge some months ago, and I could find very few.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think stainless steel is quite timeless. If I could have my pick, I'd get some vintage 50s and 60s stuff that was made really well. The cheap looking plastic throwback stuff looks pretty lame for the most part, but I would love to have all my appliances in pistachio and avocado constructed from a very heavy metal.

I'm currently preparing to renovate a new home I'm buying and the house was built in the 40s. It kind of has a farmhouse look to it and is on a decent sized lot and I'm going to run with it and put country accents throughout the place. For the galley kitchen I think I'm going to keep the original cabinets but paint them white and swap out the cheap countertop with a dark colored wooden one. All appliances will be stainless.

On the back wall, where there is nothing, I want to get some cabinets and make them look similar to the originals but install the wall mounted oven, dishwasher, and cooktop opposite the sink, this way I don't have to mess up the original cabinets if it's too difficult.

I was looking in Expo today and some of the stuff is horribly overpriced. I got excited at first but then realized I can find stuff for much cheaper. I hadn't even thought of getting a regular commercial refrigerator. This sound so much more hardcore and cheaper. However, it doesn't look like they are cheaper, they actually look to be a bit more expensive, but I do like the way they look.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If I could have my pick, I'd get some vintage 50s and 60s stuff that was made really well.

Tried that once. It looks really neat - but a fridge, for example, will be loud and consume way too much electricity.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have stainless and really like it, however if you are looking to sell in a few years then bear in mind that Stainless dings more than wood might and especially if you have kids in the house you might want to bear that in mind because the stainless is unforgiving.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Colored appliances are huge now. Red and turqoise clothes washers and driers are all the rage.
I pine for the return of avocado and harvest gold!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Our appliances are matte black or a textured gloss black. This fits in well with our dark cherry cabinets. I like the look of stainless in a modern house but fingerprints can be a problem.
Sounds nice.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they make anodized SS appliances? Could this look good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads