• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob alert: trying packaged dress shirts in the store

bmn111

Reaction score
while I've done okay developing a personal style with casual cloths, I've never had to dress like a real grown up.

I'm now confronted with buying dress shirts, and its been challenging to find ones with slim cuts (the sticky thread in this forum has been quite helpful).

My question is much more fundamental/newbish in nature. The dress shirts in most stores are packaged and pinned up six ways to Sunday. There's tons of paper and cardboard and plastic and pins. Often there are no "loose" shirts to try on.

What is the etiquette here? How am I supposed to try these things on at the store to figure out if I like it or not? Do I have to buy it shirts try them at home and return the ones I don't like? I never see any packaging in the dressing rooms, so I assume people don't undo the shirts in the stores.

Sorry again for the basic question. Love this community BTW. Lots of good advice and witty people.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well you are suppose to buy via your neck size without trying it on. In most cases the bodice will be too big, but hey, at least you can button your collar.

Reborn

Reaction score
Undo the shirts then avoid eye contact with the minimum wage 18 year old stock boy who has to refold it. It's also nice to notice the different cuts a store offers so you don't wind up having to try on every color you want when they are all the same cut and will all fit the same.

Going home to try a shirt on because of it being folded in store is an insane waste of time.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shop assitant doesn't unpack the shirt so that you can try it on if you're not sure, I wouldn't buy it.
At least I expect that in higher end shops. Be so kind and wear an undershirt though^^.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open the package and try the shirt on. If anyone objects, you now know one place NOT to buy your shirts.

Crooow

Reaction score
As has been said, you have every right to take it out of the package and try it on. If it's a nicer store, they will take the shirt out for you; if not, no big deal. Don't ask for permission to do it, just tell them you would like to try it on, please show you to a fitting room.

Once you have some experience with brands, you will no longer need to do it and can buy based solely on size; but until that time, you're the one spending the money, don't hesitate to try on whatever you feel like.
smile.gif

Crooow

Reaction score
And for what it's worth, I'm sure nearly everyone had the same question when they first started buying nicer shirts. I know I was certainly intimidated my first trip into Saks as a buyer with disposable income.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crooow
As has been said, you have every right to take it out of the package and try it on. If it's a nicer store, they will take the shirt out for you; if not, no big deal. Don't ask for permission to do it, just tell them you would like to try it on, please show you to a fitting room.

Exactly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics