• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyone tells me I need to "go out" and "meet people"

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
but I'm clueless as to where this mythical "out" is and what to do to meet people.

No friends and I don't drink so I'm really kinda screwed

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Out" means away from the computer. Unplugged. Away from the house and the tele.

Have no idea of your age... but if a student, go to some university events, a movie night, sports event, one of the thousands of club activities they have EVERY night. Go take a free night class learning Urdu. Thai boxing. Yoga. Fans of John Dryden. Nude figure drawing. whatever.

Older, working? Well... go to a neighborhood pub/bar kinda place. Strike up conversations. As a colleague to have a drink. If you don't drink, have a sprite. OR, maybe start at least social drinking, assuming you are of age. IT really can take off the 'edge' if you dont feel comfortable in a group. Just be careful, or else you'll end up being the guy dancing by himself in the corner to music that isn't there.

Meeting people REALLY is not that hard. I'm hardly the most social butterfly in the herd, yet I find it less than difficult.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Have no idea of your age... but if a student, go to some university events, a movie night, sports event, one of the thousands of club activities they have EVERY night. Go take a free night class learning Urdu. Thai boxing. Yoga. Fans of John Dryden. Nude figure drawing. whatever.
even if not a student, this remains good advice. It just stops being free. Do it anyhow.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think we might've found your problem here:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz
You people are so weird. I barely shower once every 3 or 4 days since I have no job/nothing to do. It would make life easier after taking a **** but I'm just too lazy. Although I do wipe like crazy with cotonelle wet wipes

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take some classes for fun: cooking, martial arts, bowling, art, acting, whatever. Or you could volunteer.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't go out alone, so maybe that's your issue too? It feels awkward to go to a bar alone, like I have a drinking problem. The thing is, I can call on people to come out.

If you're in that boat but don't have people to call on, I refer you ^^.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Think we might've found your problem here:

A winrar is you!!!1Q!

I lol'd pretty hard at work. Thanks Dakota.
laugh.gif

Raz

Reaction score
rach2jlc;1608674. Go take a free night class learning Urdu. [/QUOTE said:
Ab Urdu itni muskil zuban bi nahi keey koi sheek bi nahi saktha
smile.gif

Raz

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go out, leave whatever room, apartment, house, cave, you're currently residing in and make your way to whatever local gathering place would yield the most people in your age group. Bars, shoppes, museums, hell even the grocery store could be great places to meet someone.

It sounds like OP really needs some real human face-to-face interaction. Starting small with just being around other people would be beneficial. Once used to that, talking to people is the next step...then you slip it in the pooper and you've won the internet!

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compile a list of things you like to do and go out and seek others who like to do them. For example if you like photography find your local photography chapter. If you like to dance, join some dance lessons (single people always show up), if you like sports such as tennis go to craigslist and look for hitting partners.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz
I don't drink so I'm really kinda screwed

unless your an alcoholic, shouldnt be much of a problem drinking socially, its much easier to keep your friends off your back if you have a drink.

if you really cant handle that, tell the bartender to pour you a coke, put it in a cocktail glass, and tell people its a jack and coke.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
unless your an alcoholic, shouldnt be much of a problem drinking socially, its much easier to keep your friends off your back if you have a drink.

if you really cant handle that, tell the bartender to pour you a coke, put it in a cocktail glass, and tell people its a jack and coke.

Just don't go up to a random person and start with "Hey! I'm drinking this here Jack 'n Coca-Cola, sure is mighty tasty and is gettin' me hammered!" or something to that effect.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Just don't go up to a random person and start with "Hey! I'm drinking this here Jack 'n Coca-Cola, sure is mighty tasty and is gettin' me hammered!" or something to that effect.

... but if you do, please record it with your camera phone and post the video on YouTube.

Fixed.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OP: you need to get out more and meet some people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads