• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Watch Knock-offs

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Expensive/designer clothes look and feel much better than the cheap stuff, I'd think it's fairly obvious.
If we are talking about a $5000 suit compared to a $200 suit, then yes the difference will be obvious. If we are talking about a $5000 OTR suit versus a $2000 OTR suit the differences are very hard to see if there are any differences. Just like a $200 fake Rolex will be different than a real Rolex.
A Rolex has a function of rotation 3 arrows. It is a very easy task to replicate, and the cost of replicating this task has the following relationship: accurate time measurement and small "sliding" over time - costs 10$-40$ VERY accurate time measurement with VERY small "sliding over time - costs 5000$-25000$
People who want to have accurate time would get a quartz, not a mechanical watch. People who buy $5000 watches do not buy it for their time accuracy but for design, quality and name. A certain level of accuracy is expected for all mechanical watches and price does not always reflect the accuracy. You can easily get a $400 Stowa that will be as accurate as the Rolex.
The technology and the professional input is different (Rolex has better professionals more expensive materials then Timex) in different quality watches. Unlike suits where a bad job means a terrible fit, in watches a cheap/bad design will simply mean this: You re-correct your watch every 5 months, not every 5 years (like a great watch that was designed to be very precise.) The penalty for a poor design here is almost negligible(do you care that you correct your watch twice a year and not twice in 10 years?) unlike a fake suit.
A bad movement in your watch means that it will not run for years in addition to being very inaccurate. To compare watch movement to suit is better to compare it to the sewing and not the fit. The suit is probably poorly sewn at the buttons and will end up falling off.
Now moving onto design. There is a a saying "not all that is shiny is gold," in terms of fakes it doesn't really matter. Rolex doesn't use top grade diamonds that are impossible to replicate. Rolex uses small amount of high quality(correct me on this?) gold, steel, titanium, glass. In the amount that is needed for a watch, a person that designs a good fake can buy all of these materials (the exact same ones) for the cost that would still allow him to sell his fakes for under 200$. Even if Rolex has some secret metal formula that has a super gold mix, using a close enough gold will make no difference whatsoever in the design. It will look and feel the same.
Raw material costs for all luxury items are low compared to its price. Does the raw materials used to make a Kiton or Valentino suit even cost $200 to buy? I highly doubt that it does. There are a lot more costs involved in manufacturing something that just the raw costs.
Rolex can be disassembled into parts that are later put together. For example we take the inner metal ring. The person making the watch doesn't need years of experience of sewing Valentino suits (to make a great Valentino suit) to master this, he simply needs to take a ruler and measure a 2cm diameter 1/2 gold, 1/2 steel 0.2 thick. After putting together all the parts, if the person has some experience dealing with watches it will be a very close resemblance. Here he doesn't need a hand of a painter or a pianist he just needs some good equipment.
Using your same logic, a fake suit can be made the same way as a fake Rolex. It does not require a person who has years of experience making a Valentino suit to sew a suit that is very close to resembling the real thing. As long as the person is familiar with sewing suits and has good equipment it should turn out almost like the real thing.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one:

Pros:
  • The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.

• You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.

• You don't have to worry about it being damaged or stolen, no stress.

• You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.

• You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.

• You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.

Cons:

• You will know it's fake and some people will be bothered by that fact (copyright stance, feeling cheap, whatever)

• Not as much reliability and shorter life span.

• Poorly picked replica might be unusable (however it is the fault of a buyer in my opinion)

Anybody wish to add to that list? I know it's not illegal to own a replica watch at least in NA, but from browsing the forum I have not seen any more plausible cons.

Add this to your CONS list:

You can't talk to anyone about your watch, because you know that it's pretending to be something it's not.
shog[1].gif

I love talking to people about watches. Mine are not great watches, but they all have something about them that I love, and I love to talk about those aspects to others that are interested. I can't do that if I wear a fake.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs
Add this to your CONS list:

You can't talk to anyone about your watch, because you know that it's pretending to be something it's not.
shog[1].gif

I love talking to people about watches. Mine are not great watches, but they all have something about them that I love, and I love to talk about those aspects to others that are interested. I can't do that if I wear a fake.

I don't converse with people who like to talk about watches..
laugh.gif

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
we can tell

In my circles we don't discuss what we wear, but we wear what you discuss. We prefer to talk about politics, history, and traveling instead of focusing on imbecilic details that you are referring to.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude it's a watch...it's 3 thin metal lines rotating in a circle, So you spend 25,000 not 100 you'll have to correct it once every 5 years instead of once every 5 months? So what.

WRONG! A high end swiss movement is no where as accurate as a $5 quartz movement.
smile.gif

Gaz

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go fake, make sure you do it right. There's some really obvious crap out there. Get something most people can't spot, like a Glashutte. Unless you take it off and hand it to another Glashutte owner, they won't be able to tell.

The thing is, people tend to buy watches for themselves these days. You're better off not wearing one at all than wearing a fake. Since everyone has a cell phone that tells time people don't really notice watches as much as they used to.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most idiotic thing about fakes is some ppl pay several hundred for them, when you could get a real $200 watch that is much better quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads