• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R&B, who are you feelin these days?

oceans11

Reaction score
I was really surprised on how much action was on the Hip Hop posts so I'm wondering if there's anyone new out there people are feeling these days in the R&B genre? I don't know about most of you but I'm finding it harder & harder these days to find quality R&B. I'm tired of hearing the vocoder voice box & hearing T-Pain on EVERY R&B single.

So far I'm listening to Keyshia Coles "Just like you" & "The Way It Is" albums because I'm pretty disappointed so far in her "A different me" joint.

Actually there's a few artists who's recent album drop I wasn't to impressed with like Anthony Hamilton (who I really like) & Raphael Saadiq's "The way I see it" I'm not really into either but I still play "Instant Vintage".

I'm eagerly waiting on D'Angelo's new album (if it actually does come out) because I like the new single, "I found my smile again".

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
I was really surprised on how much action was on the Hip Hop posts so I'm wondering if there's anyone new out there people are feeling these days in the R&B genre? I don't know about most of you but I'm finding it harder & harder these days to find quality R&B. I'm tired of hearing the vocoder voice box & hearing T-Pain on EVERY R&B single. So far I'm listening to Keyshia Coles "Just like you" & "The Way It Is" albums because I'm pretty disappointed so far in her "A different me" joint. Actually there's a few artists who's recent album drop I wasn't to impressed with like Anthony Hamilton (who I really like) & Raphael Saadiq's "The way I see it" I'm not really into either but I still play "Instant Vintage". I'm eagerly waiting on D'Angelo's new album (if it actually does come out) because I like the new single, "I found my smile again".
I sort of liked Anthony Hamiltons newest joint, however his past works were considerably better, the same can be said about Saadiq. Both are more in line with Neo Soul (which is probably my favorite genre), however I'd agree "Instant Vintage" was simply amazing. There has been much these days that impress me, I've been breaking out the Cd's from several years ago i.e. Joi, Urban Mystic, Raheem Devaughn, the latest Angie Stone and Erykah's "World Wide Underground".

I too am looking forward to D'Angelo's new CD, (as well as Maxwell's).

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc.

I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.

oceans11

Reaction score
Oh word, is Maxwell coming out with a new album? Embrya was my favorite album of his. And I agree the majority of what I listed is definitely Neo Soul.

Out of the new "kids" that are out I think Ne-Yo has the best talent among the males & his 2 albums are more reminiscent of Ushers 2 & 3rd albums.

If you haven't already check out an artist named, Algebra Blessett.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I sort of liked Anthony Hamiltons newest joint, however his past works were considerably better, the same can be said about Saadiq. Both are more in line with Neo Soul (which is probably my favorite genre), however I'd agree "Instant Vintage" was simply amazing. There has been much these days that impress me, I've been breaking out the Cd's from several years ago i.e. Joi, Urban Mystic, Raheem Devaughn, the latest Angie Stone and Erykah's "World Wide Underground".

I too am looking forward to D'Angelo's new CD, (as well as Maxwell's).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc.

I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.

Let's not mention Tony Toni Tone, because rarely are any recent artists creative enough to even hang with them, it's a shame they split up. I kind of liked Max's last CD, however it never really compared to "Urban Hang Suite" or "Embrya".

Then again my favorite Max song was from a soundtrack: "Fortunate".

oceans11

Reaction score
Man, you just took me back in time. I also agree my favorite decade was probably the 90's. I have Tevin, Johnny & the whole NE crew on constant rotation in my music playlists. I also started RE-listening to Dru Hill, I think they got a bad rap with "The Thong Song" & Sisqo doing his own thing. Then I saw this youtube clip where they were at a radio station making a comeback & one of the dudes on air said he was splitting & just created mad drama. I don't know if that was a radio pub stunt or for real but it was a trip. And what about..............MINT CONDITION!!
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc. I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Let's not mention Tony Toni Tone, because rarely are any recent artists creative enough to even hang with them, it's a shame they split up. I kind of liked Max's last CD, however it never really compared to "Urban Hang Suite" or "Embrya".

Then again my favorite Max song was from a soundtrack: "Fortunate".

His Unplugged album was also very good. It contains his cover of Kate Bush's Woman's Work.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His Unplugged album was also very good. It contains his cover of Kate Bush's Woman's Work.
I can't disagree, the "Unplugged Album" was pretty nice.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double post.....dang SF servers!

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
Man, you just took me back in time. I also agree my favorite decade was probably the 90's. I have Tevin, Johnny & the whole NE crew on constant rotation in my music playlists. I also started RE-listening to Dru Hill, I think they got a bad rap with "The Thong Song" & Sisqo doing his own thing. Then I saw this youtube clip where they were at a radio station making a comeback & one of the dudes on air said he was splitting & just created mad drama. I don't know if that was a radio pub stunt or for real but it was a trip.

And what about..............MINT CONDITION!!

Oh yeah, l like MC. I appreciate that they are an actual band and the music is made with real instruments, which I believe was pretty rare, even then.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am currently enjoying Musiq Soulchilds new album "On My Radio." I also have Neyo's "Year of the Gentlemen" on rotation.
90's is definitely the decade of R&B: Dru Hill, 112, BlackStreet, Next, Brandy, Monica, Destiny's Child, TLC, Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Ginuwine, etc...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who are these people?
confused.gif
The only one that strikes a bell is Whitney's husband.
eh.gif

For me: The ususal - hasn't changed in twenty years. Hank Ballard, Louis Jordan, Ike Turner, The 5 Royales, Esquerita, The Treniers, Bo Diddley, The Dominoes, Big Joe Turner, Johhny Otis, etc. ....

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I am currently enjoying Musiq Soulchilds new album "On My Radio." I also have Neyo's "Year of the Gentlemen" on rotation.
90's is definitely the decade of R&B: Dru Hill, 112, BlackStreet, Next, Brandy, Monica, Destiny's Child, TLC, Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Ginuwine, etc...

I think Musiq & Donell are very underrated as well. Aaliyah I miss a lot & I don't know what happened to Boyz II Men. I mean the talent was there, they just fell off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads