• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional New Years Dinners

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a traditional new years meal, either family, national or religious?

The only thing we ever traditionally cooked was on New Years growing up:
Corned Beef Reubens (ode to partial irish heritage i guess)
German Potato Salad (Extra vinegar, mmm....)
Cole Slaw

Anyone else have something unique to soak up the booze?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember. Usually roast, I think.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nye, we have mexican or chinese takeout with our closest friends.

on nyd, roast chicken, oven-roasted potatos, broccoli rabbe, pumpkin pie, mulled red wine and hot cider.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I've just stayed in (increasingly the case on the eve), usually a roast of some kind as the main and various appys. Tonight it's certified angus prime rib. Combined with the wine I'll be drinking, I may in bed by 10pm. NYD calls for pizza takeout.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Isn't booze the traditional New Years dinner?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandpa always used to make clam chowder, but we haven't really done it since he died.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never done anything special on New Years Day. I thought people just got the day off on New Years because they were hung over from New Years Eve. By New Years Day I'm too pooped and hungover from all the excitement from last week.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I have never done anything special on New Years Day. I thought people just got the day off on New Years because they were hung over from New Years Eve. By New Years Day I'm too pooped and hungover from all the excitement from last week.

I read that as excrement.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Menudo is a traditional New Year's Day dish in the Hispanic community here in Arizona. It's reputed to cure hangovers. I tried it once and thought it was tasty, but I wasn't really hungover that year
smile.gif

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just made a navy bean chowder with smoked turkey, bacon, diced ham, shrimp, carrotts and cilantro. The smoked paprika and cumin set it off!!!

Been watching iron chef marathon so I was inspired. Finished everything off with an Arnold Palmer 2004 Cabernet I have been saving in the cellar. WOW.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be lentils. Here in the South it's greens and black-eyed peas.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I thought it was supposed to be lentils. Here in the South it's greens and black-eyed peas.

Every year with the in-laws. Pork, boiled cabbage, greens, black-eyed peas. This year no cornbread though
frown.gif

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Pork, boiled cabbage, greens, black-eyed peas. This year no cornbread though
frown.gif

You should have gone to Luby's. I had the same meal, but with cornbread.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads