• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fall from Grace

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm watching this documentary based on the Westboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps of Topeka, KS.

I cannot fathom that people can actually be clinically insane and let roamed the streets and spout such utter hate against homosexuals.

I do recommend Netflixing it.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've seen this and if you are interested you should check out the BBC Special on it with Louis Theroux. You can find it on Youtube/some video sites.. he really gets to know some of the younger members and really shows how indocrinated they are.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
This just made me think about how for some reason I can understand male homophobes; but, something just utterly angers me when you hear these nasty cunty women spewing hate like that.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I invoke Rach's signature here.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch Jesus camp, they start them young and really indoctrinate youth.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't watch that trash. It's the popular media equivalent of feeding trolls. They're a bunch of inbreds who never would've been heard of if some journalist didn't open a Pandora's Box of hatred and stupidity when his car broke down outside Westboro.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Watch Jesus camp, they start them young and really indoctrinate youth.

Yah this is what started it all in my random chain of Netflix recommendations.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I invoke Rach's signature here.
Feel free. I'm happy to loan it out whenever it can come in handy.
Originally Posted by why
Please don't watch that trash. It's the popular media equivalent of feeding trolls. They're a bunch of inbreds who never would've been heard of if some journalist didn't open a Pandora's Box of hatred and stupidity when his car broke down outside Westboro.
Agreed 100%. Giving these people ANY attention, positive or negative, only makes them worse. The only way to thwart/kill destructive ignorance like this is completely to marginalize and ignore it to the point to where they can have no outlet for their hatred and stupidity except inside the doors of their ****** little hovel... which is their Constitutional and personal right.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Feel free. I'm happy to loan it out whenever it can come in handy.

Agreed 100%. Giving these people ANY attention, positive or negative, only makes them worse. The only way to thwart/kill destructive ignorance like this is completely to marginalize and ignore it to the point to where they can have no outlet for their hatred and stupidity except inside the doors of their ****** little hovel... which is their Constitutional and personal right.

This sounds like a cue for one of my favorite recent Aussie comedy stunts from the ABC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN2...ext=1&index=26

bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

B1FF

Reaction score
He has some good points, he just tends to take them to their logical conclusions.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Who and what?

Anyway, as for the youtube video posted above, yeah, it's funny sort of... but as why says... I don't even find it funny to "joke" with these people or see them "made fun of." That just enables them, makes them feel like "martyrs," etc.

It's not like Joking/making fun of Scientologists... who are just sort of laughable. Instead, it's like "joking" with the Taliban, or "joking" with Heinrich Himmler.

Given the chance, these people would murder, slaughter, and destroy anyone they could, like the Taliban, or like Himmler.

To be honest, I wish we dealt with them like we deal with Al Qaeda or the Taliban, because really they are very close in ideology and belief. OR, at the very least, that we'd revoke their citizenship and send them to Taliban controlled areas of Afghanistan/Pakistan, where their beliefs would be more in-line with others of their ilk.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Who and what?

Anyway, as for the youtube video posted above, yeah, it's funny sort of... but as why says... I don't even find it funny to "joke" with these people or see them "made fun of." That just enables them, makes them feel like "martyrs," etc.

It's not like Joking/making fun of Scientologists... who are just sort of laughable. Instead, it's like "joking" with the Taliban, or "joking" with Heinrich Himmler.

Given the chance, these people would murder, slaughter, and destroy anyone they could, like the Taliban, or like Himmler.

I was all set to say that I am all for ridiculing these sort of people .... then I saw your mention of Himmler up there. And now I am not so sure.... I do see that joking about the Holocaust could trivialize or at least 'normalize' it.

So now I won't link to the funny Iraqi Insurgency skit.
confused.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I was all set to say that I am all for ridiculing these sort of people .... then I saw your mention of Himmler up there. And now I am not so sure.... I do see that joking about the Holocaust could trivialize or at least 'normalize' it. So now I won't link to the funny Iraqi Insurgency skit.
confused.gif

I know what you mean and, in one way, ridiculing is better than just letting them run around unfettered.BUT, IMHO, it's not just the trivializing or the normalizing... it's what's BEHIND the joke that makes it more frightening and horrific than it could ever be funny. I mean, the way I think of it is... imagine a scene with an interviewer talking to Himmler and he keeps making "Jewish" mannerisms or jokes with him. LIke, "Well Heinrich, that's quite a schnozzle you got there. Oy ve!" Yeah, you'd be like, "haha" because no doubt Himmer would get uncomfortable and fidget and make lots of dumb comments... but as you laugh... you realize, "This man would love to see you murdered in front of his eyes, if given the chance. He'd love to see your entire family taken out back and shot... if they haven't been already." It just doesn't seem so funny anymore... just more scary. With these Westboro people, we have a similar mentality, only the lack of power to see it through. BUT, people laughed at Hitler AND Himmler before they ruled Germany. They were laughable, like these Westboro folks. They didn't laugh so much when they got shot in the head by them later. Again, the way to deal with these sort of people is simply ensure, through marginalization and making them obsolete, than they can get NO attention. OR, in any case, to realize that their ideology is no laughing matter... it was "laughable" to many to think that somebody would "exterminate Jews." And we see what happened. Never underestimate pure and simple evil.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean and, in one way, ridiculing is better than just letting them run around unfettered.BUT, IMHO, it's not just the trivializing or the normalizing... it's what's BEHIND the joke that makes it more frightening and horrific than it could ever be funny.

I mean, the way I think of it is... imagine a scene with an interviewer talking to Himmler and he keeps making "Jewish" mannerisms or jokes with him. LIke, "Well Heinrich, that's quite a schnozzle you got there. Oy ve!"

Yeah, you'd be like, "haha" because no doubt Himmer would get uncomfortable and fidget and make lots of dumb comments... but as you laugh... you realize, "This man would love to see you murdered in front of his eyes, if given the chance. He'd love to see your entire family taken out back and shot... if they haven't been already."

It just doesn't seem so funny anymore... just more scary. With these Westboro people, we have a similar mentality, only the lack of power to see it through.

BUT, people laughed at Hitler AND Himmler before they ruled Germany. They were laughable, like these Westboro folks.

They didn't laugh so much when they got shot in the head by them later. Again, the way to deal with these sort of people is simply ensure, through marginalization and making them obsolete, than they can get NO attention. OR, in any case, to realize that their ideology is no laughing matter... it was "laughable" to many to think that somebody would "exterminate Jews." And we see what happened.

Never underestimate pure and simple evil.

WALL OF TEXT. John just made this thread no fun.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
WALL OF TEXT. John just made this thread no fun.

Well, sometimes brilliance, insight, and CONCISION don't go hand in hand there, dear.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads