• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clubbing etiquette questions

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only recently been introduced to clubbing by co-workers in the last year or so. Prior to last night (new years) the only time i had ever went to a club was for work-related parties. That said, I have a few questions for the more experienced.

1) How many guys do you need to go clubbing. Sometimes I see just one guy dancing all by himself in the club, he invariably looks out of place to me. Last night I found two other guys who agreed to go, but one backed out. Is two guys going clubbing weird at all or is it all in my head?

2) Do you ever strike up conversation with random people at the club (other than hitting on girls) like just talking to some guy at the bar? Does it make a difference if they're with a bunch of people, or appear to be by themselves?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really into clubbing, but I've been to a few.

1) At least in NY, you should go with girls not guys. Even ratio at worst, more girls the better. No one I know goes alone.

2) Since I usually went in groups I wouldn't really talk to strangers (aside from hot girls). That being said, it is a club after all. It is completely normal to talk to strangers. If they want to talk, they will. Otherwise, say goodbye and move on. It's not weird to talk to randos in a club.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depends on the ethnicity of the people you plan on clubbing. i always bring at least two other hard-hitting mofos.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
1) At least in NY, you should go with girls not guys. Even ratio at worst, more girls the better. No one I know goes alone.
I honestly don't know any girls that are into clubbing well enough to call them up and ask them to go clubbing with me. I just go to party and dance, really not even to hit on girls.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, guys and girls with you. You don't need too many people as long as you have a wingman or gal.

What kind of clubs are these? Most working people I know have outgrown them and only go to bars. Clubs with good live music are the exception.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Go with guys and girls, 50/50 is best. I would never go clubbing with just guys.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Most clubs and discotheques are disgusting. Everybody in there should be gassed.

+1

Originally Posted by Eason
Go with guys and girls, 50/50 is best. I would never go clubbing with just guys.

...but +1 if you must go.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
What kind of clubs are these?

Most clubs and discotheques are disgusting. Everybody in there should be gassed.

I'm pretty sure me and LK are talking about the same type of club. You can hate on them, but I have a blast whenever I go as long as they play good music.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I've only recently been introduced to clubbing by co-workers in the last year or so. Prior to last night (new years) the only time i had ever went to a club was for work-related parties. That said, I have a few questions for the more experienced.

1) How many guys do you need to go clubbing. Sometimes I see just one guy dancing all by himself in the club, he invariably looks out of place to me. Last night I found two other guys who agreed to go, but one backed out. Is two guys going clubbing weird at all or is it all in my head?

2) Do you ever strike up conversation with random people at the club (other than hitting on girls) like just talking to some guy at the bar? Does it make a difference if they're with a bunch of people, or appear to be by themselves?

Uhh do you realize that people go to clubs to have fun?

First of all, if you're clubbing in meat packing district or in LA or Vegas, good luck getting in to most places if you don't have money and you're just a bunch of dudes.

Second of all yes, you're there to meet people. Do whatever you want. Stop overthinking going to a club.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Uhh do you realize that people go to clubs to have fun? First of all, if you're clubbing in meat packing district or in LA or Vegas, good luck getting in to most places if you don't have money and you're just a bunch of dudes. Second of all yes, you're there to meet people. Do whatever you want. Stop overthinking going to a club.
I'm not satisfied with this post. You need to include something about your boarding school, followed by something about Harvard, and finished with how you "pwned" him. It's not really satisfying when you deviate from your formula.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Do whatever you want. Stop overthinking going to a club.

Do whatever you want. x100000000 + common sense

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I honestly don't know any girls that are into clubbing well enough to call them up and ask them to go clubbing with me. I just go to party and dance, really not even to hit on girls.

So... you like dancing to terrible music, and you like paying way too much for booze? Or do you know about clubs that play good music at reasonable volumes, and sell quality alcohol for a great price?

When I go to a club, I go because of the people I'm going with, and because somewhere in my head, I'm still convinced I might find a nice girl there. Although that's extremely unlikely.

Agreed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads