• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to buy at the Jean Shop in NYC (other than jeans?)

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I have $300 Jean Shop store credit from a Christmas gift that didn't work out. Their jeans don't work for me and their website is vague in regards to other merchandise they sell. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going with their belts but perhaps they have some other cool **** in there?

jsqfunk

Reaction score
I have been to their West Broadway store, not sure if the one in the Meatpacking district is that different

They have

Filson bags, that they "weather" or distress, usually adding about 20% to the internet cost, i.e. Crane.
A large selection of Timberland shoes from the Timberland Boot Company line, I am not sure if the JS does any additional distressing to these.
Dress shirts by Turnbull & Asser that JS either distresses or dyes.
Every combination of fit/size/wash (raw to extremely beat up) of their jeans.
Various tee shirts and sweatshirts, not sure if there is anything special, e.g. loopwheeler, about them
Wallets, bandanas, wallet chains, etc.

I happen to like their distressed look of the stuff they sell, I bought a Filson small duffel bag and dopp bag there. However, I seem to recall someone mentioning that this process may void any warrantee. Also, if you are going to go for raw denim, why not a raw bag? For the Filson stuff, it is a pretty subtle distressing, more of a softening of the fabric and color, the are no holes or tears and the zippers and other metal parts are rust free.

The W. Broadway store is a narrow place absolutely packed from floor to ceiling with stuff, worth checking out even if you don't have a store credit.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The washed leather products are really nice, but I'm curious why you say the jeans don't work? There are 3 cuts and even the skinny is relatively forgiving compared to brands like Acne.

My pair of Jean Shop skinny's is one of my favorite denims. it's my easy, go-to pair.

jqbomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
I have $300 Jean Shop store credit from a Christmas gift that didn't work out. Their jeans don't work for me and their website is vague in regards to other merchandise they sell. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going with their belts but perhaps they have some other cool **** in there?

You can get a small Filson duffel for $360 if I recall. I was in the same boat with a store credit there, and ended up buying medium Filson bag in green.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They'd be way past your store credit budget but their leather jackets are also very nice.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jqbomb
You can get a small Filson duffel for $360 if I recall. I was in the same boat with a store credit there, and ended up buying medium Filson bag in green.

take pics

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I'm curious why you say the jeans don't work? There are 3 cuts and even the skinny is relatively forgiving compared to brands like Acne.

Same problem I have with alot of designer jeans - the back rise is too short so they ride up my crack for a bad wedgie appearance. When trying on a new pair of jeans the ass is the first place you should look. Their back rise is around 1-1.5 inches smaller than other major brands such as Levi 501's. I went over all the sizes with them on the phone and that was the biggest seat they had. It's unfortunate because the front looks good and flattering.

jqbomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
take pics

_DSC1863.jpg

_DSC1872.jpg

_DSC1879.jpg
[/quote]

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
That's a tight bag, do you remember how much that went for? Thanks for the info and pics...

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, so sick... I'm waiting for a Krane duffle to arrive.. but now I wanna get a washed filson messenger/briefcase.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, couldn'y you get a regular Filson bab of your choice and wash it yourself a few times and put it in the dryer? That would age the leather and canvas very quickly.

But, I would rather buy a deadstock Filson and let it age on its own.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Hmmm, couldn'y you get a regular Filson bab of your choice and wash it yourself a few times and put it in the dryer? That would age the leather and canvas very quickly.
I doubt it.

jqbomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
That's a tight bag, do you remember how much that went for? Thanks for the info and pics...

The small duffels start at $360 and go up from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads