• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about HDMI cable and PS3

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a PS3 for Christmas and did some searches for an HDMI cable and settled on a Monster Ultra 800 for about $30 (great price, original retail tagged at about $150), but I believe it is discontinued model. I'm using a 46" Sony LCD Bravia 1080p.

My question is, are there differences in HDMI cables? The packaging of the Monster cable says it reaches "a maximum HD resolution of 720p/1080i". I notice it does not "reach" 1080p specifically, although my TV is supposedly displaying blu-ray content in 1080p. Perhaps this is because the Ultra model is an earlier generation cable (hence the now cheaper price). The Monster website shows newer model cables that specifically support 1080p. This can all be marketing hype, which I hear what makes Monster expensive in the first place.

Anyone lend some insight to this? I'm tempted with going with a "newer" HDMI cable. But if there really is no difference in picture quality, and I'm getting a true 1080p picture, then I won't.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't believe the monster hype...just go to bluejeans cables and order one.

doesn't the ps3 come with one anyway?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
don't believe the monster hype...just go to bluejeans cables and order one.

doesn't the ps3 come with one anyway?

Doesn't come with one. I already bought the Monster cable and have used it. Picture looks great, but if it's true that the cable only reaches 1080i, and I'm not getting a true 1080p picture, then I will upgrade the cable. But if I am getting the 1080p picture regardless of the "older" model cable, I'll stick with it.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to digital cables (like HDMI) you will get the same quality (in 99% of the cases) with a 10 dollar cable as you will with a 150 dollar cable. With digital, either the data gets there or it doesn't, it is not like an analog cable where quality highly depends on the quality of the connection. You may not want to buy the cheapest cable possible because of durability issues, but don't go anywhere near the high end either.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
When it comes to digital cables (like HDMI) you will get the same quality (in 99% of the cases) with a 10 dollar cable as you will with a 150 dollar cable. With digital, either the data gets there or it doesn't, it is not like an analog cable where quality highly depends on the quality of the connection. You may not want to buy the cheapest cable possible because of durability issues, but don't go anywhere near the high end either.

I've heard this numerous times on other fora. Not sure if this is true or not because there are always different opinions.

But, to my specific question, can an HDMI cable be limited to only allow for a 1080i quality picture even if i'm using a PS3 or is a HDMI, HDMI and I will get the 1080p picture because of the TV and blu ray player?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read this:

http://bluejeanscable.com/articles/h...n.htm?hdmidept

The short answer is that your cable will almost certainly pass 1080p, assuming that it's not too long (less than 10 feet). The only time HDMI cables could restrict your resolution is if you're using a very long cable which could be lossy enough to start dropping bits.

Vendors will sometimes not claim 1080p because they haven't done the certification on a cable for 1080p, so they're just doing a CYA.

Long HDMI cables (like the good 50-foot ones) tend to be thicker and stiffer to minimize signal loss.

Does your TV have some kind of information display where it can tell you what resolution it's receiving from the PS3?

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
But, to my specific question, can an HDMI cable be limited to only allow for a 1080i quality picture even if i'm using a PS3 or is a HDMI, HDMI and I will get the 1080p picture because of the TV and blu ray player?
No the cable cannot limit the resolution except inadvertently due to inadequate construction. The cable doesn't know anything about the signal being passed through it. --Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've heard this numerous times on other fora. Not sure if this is true or not because there are always different opinions. But, to my specific question, can an HDMI cable be limited to only allow for a 1080i quality picture even if i'm using a PS3 or is a HDMI, HDMI and I will get the 1080p picture because of the TV and blu ray player?
it is likely Monster's way of selling you a "better" cable. Likely the one you purchased is their "value" cable. As in, if you were to spend $20, your cable would be rated for 1080p. (which is pretty much an arbitrary, nonsense rating) Almost any HDMI that does not have a coat hanger spliced into the middle of it should handle 1080p just fine. I will not spend more than $15 on digital cable. It just makes no damn difference.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a VERY slight difference between 1080i and 1080p on a tv that size. Especially since the PS3 will be upscaling you're content, you with most likely not be able to tell the difference at all.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1080p requires twice the bandwidth of 1080i, so it needs significantly more analog bandwidth. For long distances, there could be enough loss in a cable to make it drop bits when transmitting 1080p. This shows up as sparklies or snow on your display.

If you're using a marginal cable, the cable's performance can also become very dependent on the equipment you're using: it may work great on one system, and fail on another. Fortunately, decent cables are pretty inexpensive.

--Andre

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good guys, thanks. I neglected to mention that the cable was 8 feet, since I didn't think length matters, but it appears in some instances it might.

AY - yes, the bravia indicates in the top corner that it is 1080p (whereas for my HD cable input it shows 1080i). I just wanted to make sure the "discontinued" cable wasn't giving me a lesser quality picture notwithstanding showing 1080p from the blu-ray.

My thinking is, if the cable model is 3 or 4 years old, it might be outdated in terms of its ability to handle the newer 1080p stuff. As you can tell, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Folks on the avs forum like $4 HDMI cables from monoprice.com. Wish I saw that before dropping $30 on the Monster.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
1080p requires twice the bandwidth of 1080i, so it needs significantly more analog bandwidth.
HDMI has 0 analog bandwidth. It doesn't transmit an analog signal at all. The digital signal is a series of on/off voltage changes. As how "fast" those are both pushed out and recognized, it depends on your sending unit and receiving unit, not on your cable. Its not like HDMI for 1080p has more wires or terminals than one for 1080i.

mikej77

Reaction score
www.monoprice.com They sell HDMI cables for very cheap and they are the same cables that CNET uses to test all of their high def equipment. I have purchased a few HDMI cables from them and they arrived quickly and work great.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
1080p requires twice the bandwidth of 1080i, so it needs significantly more analog bandwidth. For long distances, there could be enough loss in a cable to make it drop bits when transmitting 1080p. This shows up as sparklies or snow on your display.

If you're using a marginal cable, the cable's performance can also become very dependent on the equipment you're using: it may work great on one system, and fail on another. Fortunately, decent cables are pretty inexpensive.

--Andre

he is using hdmi, so this does not apply.

indy116

Reaction score
Folks on the avs forum like $4 HDMI cables from monoprice.com. Wish I saw that before dropping $30 on the Monster.

Yes, those are the ones to get! I use em in my place and I've turned a couple coworkers on to them. Monster is just overcharging so they can pay their lawyers to sue the little guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics