• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tumi alpha 20" or 22"

T900

Reaction score
I am wondering which of these carry ons you guys will buy.
obviously it depends on your travel patterns. but i am torn between the 2 because the 22" provides the extra space that you need (when you actually need it) while the 20" is less hassle due to the smaller size (not to mention that it looks better too).
Thanks.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a 20". Last time internationally, they made me check my 22" roller, which was not what I wanted to do. It didn't fit the sizer.

Colnago

Reaction score
I travel a lot (45+ weeks per year). I have the 22" Tumi and I it is great. very well designed and made. My sense is that it gives you a little more space than the 20" but is still within the rules allowed for carryon.

Best regards,

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 20. For hassles sake, airports/airlines differ with their rules, don't take the chance.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
I am wondering which of these carry ons you guys will buy. obviously it depends on your travel patterns. but i am torn between the 2 because the 22" provides the extra space that you need (when you actually need it) while the 20" is less hassle due to the smaller size (not to mention that it looks better too).Thanks.
If you are time limited when you travel, 20" without a doubt. 95% of the time they will stop you from carrying on a 22" so it will not be a carry-on at all (edit: this is based on the times I have travelled with a slightly larger no-brand carry-on). My 20" Tumi has very, very seldom been checked and has held up very well over the past decade. It's a good size for business travel when (if) all you need is a couple of suits, 5-6 shirts, a couple of ties, your underwear and a toiletries. TD

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Agree with the above. I have the 20" Tumi T3 and it's got plenty of space and has never been a hassle getting it on the place.

T900

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
would it be the 20" international or continental? International is the smallest.
by the way, how much can a 20" carry? thanks.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't know about international/contintinental, but you can generally get several days of clothes in there and a suit (my T3 has a suiter in it, too).

I doubt you'll have any troubles unless you are planning to go on safari or something, in which case even a 22 won't help much.
wink.gif

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
Thanks guys.
would it be the 20" international or continental? International is the smallest.
by the way, how much can a 20" carry? thanks.

Don't know - I only remember having a choice of one when I bought mine, but if you travel in the US I would look carefully at US travel regulations and see how they define a 20" carry-on case. That's likely to be your sticking point.

TD

Taxler

Reaction score
Different planes and airlines have different overhead bin sizes; 22" will definitely not fit in some. I've never had anyone check mine before boarding, but I've seen many have to check their bag after it didn't fit.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I have a 22", I wouldn't disagree with those who recommend 20" if you want to be on the safe side. In my case, I wanted the larger size, and I also stick with one airline whose maximum for carry-on happens to be ~22".

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the 22 carry on and it has worked well for all flights, except on a Brussels Air international flight where they would not allow it on board. I did have a close call on a US Air flight when initially it didn't fit in the overhead bin; the attendant tilted it, and fortunately, the bin was able to close. Thus, although I really like my 22, I'd recommend a 20 just so that there is never a worry about being able to have it on board.

To me, it is absolutely essential to have only carry on luggage. My last four consecutive flights in the past two months have all resulted in flight issues where I had to make last minute changes that would have resulted in checked luggage not arriving with me.

So if I were buying one today, I'd get the 20.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely get the 20". The extra space in the 22" isn't worth the hassle of having to check the bag all the time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads