• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SO, can I wear the black suit TONIGHT?

blofeld

Reaction score
Going to a cocktail party hosted by a ladies shoe designer, then dinner, then another party. So, is tonight the night where it is acceptable to wear the black suit? Was thinking of pairing it with C&J handgrades, white FC shirt, and solid black knit tie, white linen ps. too blues brothers?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the majority of other people are wearing tuxedos and you own a well fitting one then no, go for the tuxedo.

If a large portion of people aren't wearing tuxedos/you don't own a well fitting one, then yes.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose I will chime in with the first black suits are never appropriate comment.

Not knowing what the invatation says makes this difficult.

If it wasn't announced -- i would steer away from the dinner jacket.

Assuming you are then going to wear said black suit and being that said party is hosted by someone in apparel field, I would liven up your outfit. Perhaps a deep green tie or purple. You need to give it a little something to stand out.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i can see how a deep maroon dinner jacket would just make life easier during times like these.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
If by "then another party" you mean funeral, then yes, wear the black suit.

Or, if by "then another party" you mean a Johnny Cash look-alike contest, then yes, wear the black suit.

Or, if by "then another party" you mean you are working as a waiter a the party, then yes, wear the black suit.

Happy new year!

montyharding

Reaction score
Are we talking black suit as in a regular suit, or a black suit as in a dinner-jacket + trousers combo?

Or perhaps you're being clear and I'm being needlessly confused, as if invited to a definitely formal 'do' then my usual attire is almost always a dinner jacket combo.

If we're talking regular suit, it's not The Matrix. You might be able to get away with it if your shirt and tie say something very distinctive but it's a bit of a risk - you have to be able to pull it off without looking out of place (or looking out of place in a good way).

Depending on the do I'm invited to I might dig out one of my Boateng suits, but usually if for the more casually arty/media crowd.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Wear the ************* suits, you'll look like an accountant in navy or grey.

+1. If it's a good, polished cut, you can look quite good in a black suit.

Especially when combined with non-waiter-ish accessories (e.g. shirt, tie and pocket square that stand out).

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i can see how a deep maroon dinner jacket would just make life easier during times like these.

Not quite the same, but I've an old plum colored jacket that belonged to my Dad (he has been giving me some of his more, umm, interesting sartorial acquisitions as I've grown older). It looks like a cross between a regular odd coat and a smoking jacket.

I wear it every once in a while to an artsy dinner party -- and it is amazing how surprised people are at seeing a jacket that is not drab.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
**** all of you, black suits are fine. ****.

I would advise against the complete Mr. Orange look, however

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
Or perhaps you're being clear and I'm being needlessly confused, as if invited to a definitely formal 'do' then my usual attire is almost always a dinner jacket combo.
Aren't cocktail parties considered informal affairs? If you were to consider the appropriateness of a black suit for a social event, wouldn't an evening cocktail party be it?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
Going to a cocktail party hosted by a ladies shoe designer, then dinner, then another party. So, is tonight the night where it is acceptable to wear the black suit? Was thinking of pairing it with C&J handgrades, white FC shirt, and solid black knit tie, white linen ps. too blues brothers?
Although I do not prefer the black four-in-hand tie and would jump at any chance to wear a tuxedo, the black suit is fine for evening social.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I am going to wear my black silk suit (or at least the jacket) with the sleeves pushed up for the 80s dance party tonight. I'm debating on the accessories but I know the jacket is perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads