• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do they cheap out on the buttons?

skeen

Reaction score
My garments aren't top of the range, but they're mid-ranged, and unfortunately would have most people gasp hearing their cost. I have a nice suit from Roderick Charles from Jermyn St., and a great overcoat from Racing Green.

The issue I take is, they have crappy plastic cheap buttons on them. Why? I mean, if they could afford to blend cashmere into my coat, why not some nicer buttons? Likewise with the suit jacket. It's a £500 suit, and £300 coat - why would they cheap out on the buttons like that?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It affords you the opportunity to replace the buttons with ones of your liking. I have replaced the buttons on most of my suits. The odd jackets are usually spot-on.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you would gasp also, if you heard the cost of fine horn buttons.

erdavis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
you would gasp also, if you heard the cost of fine horn buttons.

Ok, I am ready. What do fine horn buttons cost?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just paid $90.00, wholesale price, for enough buttons for 3 jackets.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^This is true, my horn button sets cost around $30 each. I have found corozo buttons to do nicely in the brown shades.

skeen

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback. What kind/colour buttons should be present on a charcoal suit jacket and coat?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I just paid $90.00, wholesale price, for enough buttons for 3 jackets.

To put that into retail terms, figure in 40% manufacturing and 60% retail gross margins and the retail ticket is $125 just for the buttons on one RTW jacket. That's why we cheap out.

skeen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
To put that into retail terms, figure in 40% manufacturing and 60% retail gross margins and the retail ticket is $125 just for the buttons on one RTW jacket. That's why we cheap out.
Clearly the solution there is for suit makers to form some kind of an alliance, and open a unified button factory. Then all they'll be paying is manufacturing.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What I meant was that on the $30 wholesale cost, the manufacturer will add a 40% margin when he sells to the retailer, who then takes a 60% margin on top of that so it ends up costing you $125, which is pretty frightening. Fortunately manufacturers usually buy in such large quantities that they are cheaper than $30 a set but they are expensive nonetheless.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant was that on the $30 wholesale cost, the manufacturer will add a 40% margin when he sells to the retailer, who then takes a 60% margin on top of that so it ends up costing you $125, which is pretty frightening. Fortunately manufacturers usually buy in such large quantities that they are cheaper than $30 a set but they are expensive nonetheless.

That is, the suit manufacturer, not the button manufacturer.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
That is, the suit manufacturer, not the button manufacturer.

Yes. Sorry.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skeen
Cheers for the feedback. What kind/colour buttons should be present on a charcoal suit jacket and coat?

I'll post pics of my charcoal suit in a bit.

Jeff, your thread over on the other forum re the inner workings of suits & their construction (fused/canvassed) was stellar, thank you.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal heather suit with buttons changed, gray buttons that came with the suit vs corozo buttons I changed (since i wear brown/chestnut shoes). The suit is wool/cashmere, thus the sheen:
Buttons032.jpg
Buttons019.jpg
I wish my camera could pick up what the eye can since these pics do the buttons no justice. I sewed the buttons on to kiss whereas they weren't previously. For some reason the horn buttons I put on my navy suit won't photograph well so no pics of those, but I bought them at M&J on Avenue of the Americas in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads