• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal jacket - fully lined or not?

gusvs

Reaction score
I am making up a jacket in a dark brown H&S 12 Oz Donegal Tweed.

http://www.hollandandsherry.com/page...d_II_hs546.htm

I am doing a 3 roll 2, unconstructed with 2 patch pockets and welted breast pocket. However, I have still not decided on the lining - my tailor recommends full lining due to the rough structure of the tweed. Normally, I prefer softer jackets and am therefore considering quarter lined (only to cover the shoulders). What do you all think, is it unwise to go with a quarter lined tweed jacket?

//G

jmacak

Reaction score
Hi

I like mine partially lined, like the example Vox indicated above. I think it looks better and don't really feel that you need that much sliding action at your lower back.

July

Reaction score
I wouldn't get it quarter-lined.

gusvs, is that 885500?

If so, I commissioned a jacket in that same fabric and almost the exact same style. I requested that it be half-lined. I tried on the basted model a few weeks ago (without the lining yet put in). It is rather scratchy, and it wasn't much fun to get in and out of without the lining (especially in the sleeves). That said, I get a relatively slim cut on my jackets.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this very moment I am wearing a jacket made of that exact same H&S brown Donegal tweed. The only point I can see in half-lining or quarter-lining a jacket is for wear in very hot weather. Since this is not a hot-weather fabric, I don't see why you would even raise the question. Go with full lining.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I believe the 12 ounce H&S Donegal is a worsted imitation of tweed. Get a full lining.

Could you please clarify that, Will? I could certainly comprehend someone saying that of the Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth fabrics, but the H&S 12-ounce Donegal seems very tweed-like to me. If so, what exactly differentiates a worsted masquerading as a tweed from a true tweed?

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Check out the 1936 Meyer & Mortimer partways down on the first page of one of my old threads.

- B

Looks very good Bill. It's not scratchy at all?

Originally Posted by July
I wouldn't get it quarter-lined.

gusvs, is that 885500?

If so, I commissioned a jacket in that same fabric and almost the exact same style. I requested that it be half-lined. I tried on the basted model a few weeks ago (without the lining yet put in). It is rather scratchy, and it wasn't much fun to get in and out of without the lining (especially in the sleeves). That said, I get a relatively slim cut on my jackets.

Yes, I believe it is the 885500.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
At this very moment I am wearing a jacket made of that exact same H&S brown Donegal tweed. The only point I can see in half-lining or quarter-lining a jacket is for wear in very hot weather. Since this is not a hot-weather fabric, I don't see why you would even raise the question. Go with full lining.

The reason I like my jackets quarter lined is not so much for the coolness, it is rather the softness and cardigan-like feeling of the finished jacket. I can see what you mean though with the full lining (which is why I am questioning my own urge for the quarter lining this time).

Hmm, I have to think this over a bit more I believe...

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Could you please clarify that, Will? I could certainly comprehend someone saying that of the Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth fabrics, but the H&S 12-ounce Donegal seems very tweed-like to me. If so, what exactly differentiates a worsted masquerading as a tweed from a true tweed?

As you know, tweed is a woolen. I thought that H&S described its Donegals as worsteds but I checked and my memory was faulty.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd get it fully lined; the jacket will be less likely to get caught up on your shirt. I don't think the amount of lining affects the way a jacket looks from the outside.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd get it fully lined; the jacket will be less likely to get caught up on your shirt. I don't think the amount of lining affects the way a jacket looks from the outside.

+1 and there would be no 'thermal' benefit to leaving the back unlined, with this sort of cloth, anyway. Good luck with it; it sounds lovely :)

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
+1 and there would be no 'thermal' benefit to leaving the back unlined, with this sort of cloth, anyway. Good luck with it; it sounds lovely :)

Thanks. I think I will go fully lined. Will post pictures when it's finished.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think fully lined is the way to go with the Donegal jacket. Looking forward to seeing the pics when its done.

gusvs

Reaction score
I was in quite a lot of shops today (New Year's sale started today), and while I made no particular sales bargains, I did see a lot of Donegal tweed jackets with quarter lining only. Borrelli for example had them all quarter lined. Not too bad actually. Hmm, thought I had decided on fully lined, but now I got confused...
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads