• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info: Best Ties List

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where would Thomas Pink fall in this list do you think, tier 2 or 3?

princemarko

Reaction score
Robert Talbott Seven Fold ties should be in Tier 1 no doubt. Hermes and Bvlgari in Tier 1? What does this list use for requirements? Quality or name status?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What constitutes a good tie changes with the whims of time and fashion. The thin, lightly lined tie of yesterday is largely out these days, and the thick, ultra-glossy ones that now command such a premium at Neiman are almost certain to be out a few years down the road. The trends in "weight," "pattern," etc. will all come and go, so buy what you like.

This is not to suggest that ties should not be made well, and of good materials; I'm just noting that what was considered a "good tie" years ago won't be found sitting next to the Charvets and Kitons of today. The heft, pattern, width, etc. would be all wrong. Yet that doesn't make the earlier ties bad, or lesser, except in that they no longer reflect the tastes of the high-end marketplace. Personally, I would not be caught dead in many of the typical offerings from some of the high-end makers.

As for price, it largely comes down to the makers asking themselves, "What's the most we can possibly charge for this?" Having a maker like Sam Hober around really underscores, in my mind, how absurd some of the RTW tie prices have become.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemarko
Robert Talbott Seven Fold ties should be in Tier 1 no doubt. Hermes and Bvlgari in Tier 1? What does this list use for requirements? Quality or name status?

Quality, quality quality, IMO

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Domenico Spanno ties (Drakes I think).
I just picked up a 6 fold hankerchief tip, unlined for a song. Basic red and white striped.
Hot Action.
Also, I picked up the Oxxford Crest ties at Off 5th for $35 dollars, they are amazing ties.

So, I think this list would be huge, and way to subjective to construct.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TIEALIGN
I would move Hermes from Tier 1 to Tier 2 which shows how subjective this list would really be.

I dont know why. The construction quality is good and the silks are among the best in the world.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you put Dunhill, Hardy Amies and Liberty?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Paging iammatt -- I don't see any Seaman & Spearn.

I believe you meant ***** & Sperm. Their ties have an unusual, crusty hand, and a vaguely mushroomy odor. Odd.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
I believe you meant ***** & Sperm. Their ties have an unusual, crusty hand, and a vaguely mushroomy odor. Odd.

LOL...
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLPL tier 3?

they have two different lines of PL ties that i know of, one retails $245 and the other $175. I dont have any experience with the $245 ties, but i do own some of the $175 ties, and they're easily of the same quality or better then the Brioni's i've come into contact with.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
RLPL tier 3?

they have two different lines of PL ties that i know of, one retails $245 and the other $175. I dont have any experience with the $245 ties, but i do own some of the $175 ties, and they're easily of the same quality or better then the Brioni's i've come into contact with.

+1 -- move it up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads