• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

aguydude

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm in the market for a well fitting dress shirt for upcoming interviews.
I'm 6.0', 175 lbs. 37in chest and 32in waist.. what label/brand should I direct my attention to?

FELT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Actually I received my shipment of Milan slimfits yesterday. It took about 2 weeks. The shirts are good, quite slim, fabric seems good (not cheap) and (Milan) collar is stiff enough to withstand washes. Overall, for $30 each, it's quite a steal!

I am expecting another shipment (blue shirts for $30) from them any day...

When I've bought Lewin shirts in the past, I've sized up on the collar (16 when I usually wear a 15.5). Can anybody who's bought one recently confirm that that's still a sensible thing to do?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FELT
When I've bought Lewin shirts in the past, I've sized up on the collar (16 when I usually wear a 15.5). Can anybody who's bought one recently confirm that that's still a sensible thing to do?

not sure why you'd do that?

I ordered my usual neck and sleeve size, in slimmer fit, and it fits fine.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FELT

They were true to size for me.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jman83

Reaction score
Zaras always seem to fit me pretty well... but like a few of the other posters mentioned, it is a bit roomier than the Polo Custom Fit line.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh I actually have that shirt.
Well it was kinda baggy when I got it. I endup getting it tailor...so I don't have any fit pic for b4 the tailoring.

I'm 5'8, 160ish lb.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having followed this thread, it appears that the dress shirt is the one area where an iGent is lacking value options. We can pick up all sorts of amazing values for shoes and suits on eBay and SF B&S, but I haven't found such a thing for shirts. TM Lewis seemed like an option, but then people are saying that they are not all that slim and have to be further altered. The notion of buying a new shirt and taking it to the tailor reeks of LADA days to me, when a new LADA was delivered (after a 4 year wait), only to be taken to the mechanic for repair and tune-up.

I am in need of some slim (slimmer than the Nordstrom Tailored Fit) stylish shirts now that I have been improving all the other areas of my wardrobe, while keeping it value conscious and on a budget. Any concrete suggestions?

FWIW, I am needing 15.5 / 35 and would prefer French Cuff.

Cheers!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
The notion of buying a new shirt and taking it to the tailor reeks of LADA days to me, when a new LADA was delivered (after a 4 year wait), only to be taken to the mechanic for repair and tune-up.

Yes, but the shirt alteration is a one-time issue, not an on-going one as in a LADA...
smile.gif

I have taken TM Lewin shirts to the tailor to be altered and they have been worth every penny - and more!

spreadcollar

Reaction score
tm lewin are well-regarded as a good value "workhorse" shirt on the internets. i would not describe them as "cheap" at all, even "maybe after a washing or two." no buzz to kill -- if they work for you, i'm not aware of a rtw dress shirt as good for double (or more) the price.
Originally Posted by Seph
When you say "for $30 each, it's quite a steal" - what's the implication? Is it a better deal to find a $60 shirt that costs $30, or a $160 shirt that costs $100? We all get excited about super low prices, but there's just no way the quality will really be there for $30. After the buzz of the seemingly good deal is gone you're going to be wearing a cheap shirt and it will show (maybe after a washing or two).

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Having followed this thread, it appears that the dress shirt is the one area where an iGent is lacking value options. We can pick up all sorts of amazing values for shoes and suits on eBay and SF B&S, but I haven't found such a thing for shirts. TM Lewis seemed like an option, but then people are saying that they are not all that slim and have to be further altered. The notion of buying a new shirt and taking it to the tailor reeks of LADA days to me, when a new LADA was delivered (after a 4 year wait), only to be taken to the mechanic for repair and tune-up.

I am in need of some slim (slimmer than the Nordstrom Tailored Fit) stylish shirts now that I have been improving all the other areas of my wardrobe, while keeping it value conscious and on a budget. Any concrete suggestions?

FWIW, I am needing 15.5 / 35 and would prefer French Cuff.

Cheers!

Not everybody needs his or her TM Lewin 'slim fit' shirt altered. We wear the same shirt size and they fit me just fine even though I have a slim body frame. Been buying them for donkey years and they are extremely durable. Its only if you want a "very" tightly fitted shirt that you will alter them.

Rather than dealing with hypotheticals why don't you just go ahead and take a $30 gamble!

Confucius

Reaction score
I purchased 4 Lewin shirts not long ago and were really pleasantly surprised when they arrived. I have a thin neck (15") but fairly long arms (34.5 - 35") so it's really difficult to find affordable RTW business shirts with those dimensions. I sized up to a 15.5" on the Lewins in order to get the proper sleeve length, threw them in the wash when they arrived, and now the neck has shrunk to a better fit.

I can take measurements on a 15.5 Lewin if anyone needs. I found the slim fits to be a much nicer fit on me than the Tyrwhitt slim fits. For reference I'm about 5'11" and approx. 180lbs, and take a 40R suit with a 34" pant.

Have also found Ben Sherman shirts to fit me nicely, and I can get them on sale here for only $60 or so. Quality is not that great but they fit me well and they're cheap.

For any fellow Aussies, if you can get Country Road slim fit shirts on sale for $75 they're not too bad. They definitely fit on the trim side although I'm not a huge fan of the fabric (a bit stiff and scratchy). But for $75 the fit and plethora of colours/patterns is a pretty decent deal.

poodlerock

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to SF, and, like all of you, am appalled by tent-like dress shirts.

I have relatively broad shoulders to go with an otherwise relatively small torso (15/33 shirt), and find that slim-fit shirts often end up with shoulder seams on the inside of the shoulder. I have no problem wearing them this way, but . . . Is it appropriate/acceptable for a shoulder seam to be on the "inside" of the shoulder?

Also, I just set a record by using some form of "relative" three times in a post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics