• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie party ?

Lewis17

Reaction score
I have recently been invited to a black tie themed party, however i was wondering, as i dont realy like to be the same as everyone else, if it would be acceptable to wear a white dinner shirt with black bow tie with a dark grey waistcoat with matching trousers and black laced shoes? im open to any thoughts posotive and negative, Thanks.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it true black tie or is it somebody trying to be cute?

Lewis17

Reaction score
Well its for a casion night at a rugby club and the dress code for men is black tie.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy... that should be interesting.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lewis17
Well its for a casion night at a rugby club and the dress code for men is black tie.

I would just wear striped socks and shave your head.....

There are many ways to look different and still look proper when it comes to black tie. This comes to mind...
IMCHUCKBASSWHITE062408.jpg

Of course a full white tux must only be done in the summer and when you dont wear a black tux, you tow the fine line of looking like this...
formalwearm24.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
You got some help. The first reply is perfect.

+1

The first reply in this thread is all that can be said on the matter.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lewis17
I have recently been invited to a black tie themed party, however i was wondering, as i dont realy like to be the same as everyone else, if it would be acceptable to wear a white dinner shirt with black bow tie with a dark grey waistcoat with matching trousers and black laced shoes? im open to any thoughts posotive and negative, Thanks.

if this is the case, wear a tux and abstain from notched lapels (peak or shawl both work), make sure everything fits you really well, tie your own bowtie, keep your jacket on all night, and make sure your shoes are extremely well polished. follow this, and i guarantee you won't look like anyone else there.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you wear a proper black-tie ensemble, you will definitely not look the same as everyone else and will stand out in a good way. If you do what you suggest, you will look like a jackass. Your call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads