• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto report

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a few days in Toronto (I am from a nearby town, and my brother lives there, so I spend some time there every year), and thought I'd point out a few stores and brands to look for if you are in the neighbourhood.

One interesting leatherworks brands that you see in a lot of retailers in Toronto that is not seen much in analogous stores in the States is Stars and Perfect Tens, a local company. Slightly military belts (lots of brass stud closures) and bags.

Of course, Krane, one of my favorite bag and outerwear makers, is also a local product, (sold by Context here) is also well represented, at Delphic, a decent store in the Queen West area, as well as at Holt Renfrew, an underwhelming experience (think Saks meets Barneys - douche meets middle aged hipster wannabe).

In the Queen West area, I really liked Sydneys, which, in my very brief time there, seemed to carry a lot of Bblessing (collection, which most stores only have the hoodies for) and Opening Ceremony, in addition to. They have no website (www.sydneystoronto.com is just a one page info deal right now,) but promise to have one. Also a ton of Property of... bags, and Entermodal wallets and card cases, which are some of the best leathergoods you can get. Period (all now 50% off). Klaxon Howl is also there, and they carry lots of good vintage and milsurp, as is Delphic, which has a funkier feel, and carries brands like WESC, Krane, Stars and Perfect Tens, and lots of funky women's clothing. Of course, there is Nomad, where you can get your fill of Wings+Horns, Robert Geller, Common Projects, Nom de Guerre, Acne, and APC - i.e. become "Styleforum Approved" (which I find a somewhat bemusing organism) in one stop.

The Yorkville area is decent if you are a middle manager at a bank, (a career that seems as dismal as they come,) or once aspired to be an I-banker (haha - suckers) but generally, much less interesting than the Queen West area. However, Marc Laurent has some solid, if not inspired, buys, from Martin Margiela, Jil Sander, Neil Barrett, and others in the designer category. Nicholas (I think that that is the name?) is good if you are a banker, or a make believe banker (they have lots of Paul Smith.) Uncle Otis ( www.uncleotis.com ) has a real streetwear feel, with Burton, Stussy, Reigning Champ, a good selection of Redwings, Rittenhouse, and Tsovet and Nixon watches. Donnell is one of the genuinely good guys in the business. TNT Blu has all brands under the sun, from Coming Soon to Wings+Horns to Robert Geller to NSF to Josh Podoll to Nudie to Nicholas K. The merchandise is expansive and the feel is not unlike American Rag, which is to say that there will be something that you like, but it will probably not be your favorite store of all time). More interesting is the year old UPC boutique, which has lots of Rykiel Homme (get it before the line goes silent forever), KZO, too often overlooked Yigal Azrouel (possibly he is well represented, but everyone just spells his name wrong) as well as, inexplicably, Rogues Gallery and Chimala?

If you want to get your douchebag on, AntiHero will have your DSquared, D&G, and all things Euro-douche. Get a huge buckled belt and then laugh at the plebians at Over The Rainbow with their plebian True Religions and Afflictions of the world.

gearhead

Reaction score
hey la guy, didn't kno u had such a connection with toronto.
i whole heartedly agree with your points.
speaking of stars and perfect tens, i just picked up a belt of theirs at delphic (its a skinny 3/4 in natural, really long too so it can hang) they have 2 more left (was there yesterday).
Nomad has more belts on their belt rack and i'm not sure if tnt blu still carrys them.
Delphic also updated their collection of Krane bags, a whole bunch really, as well as accesories like the calfskin straps, bowtie, and that cool hoody thing with straps.
I have the emory bomber jacket and harland messanger bag myself and cannot say more about the brand, just see and feel the product in person and u kno what i mean, plus of course the 2 year warranty, hyper collective just recently wrote a feature on ken chow.
i don't go to bloor much because of the snobbery, and while holts did carry krane jackets as well, their prices are more than delphic and selection is not as good.
klaxon and howl in brand clothing is really nice and Sydney's has shirts that just came out under his own label, they feel real smooth, and anyone who has talked to sydney, u kno he will only use the best materials.
if u guys really have money, jonathan and olivia is at ossington and queen (really nice stuff)
remember they had those sns hering cable knit sweaters, original price like 500, yikes.
didn't go there yet to check out the sales, but the website says Up to 50% off.

kubrick555

Reaction score
Jonathan & Olivia is notably missing from your list, located at Queen and Ossington. It carries Geller, Helmut Lang, Rag & Bone, Surface 2 Air, etc and is worth checking out.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kubrick555
Jonathan & Olivia is notably missing from your list, located at Queen and Ossington. It carries Geller, Helmut Lang, Rag & Bone, Surface 2 Air, etc and is worth checking out.

I had been wondering how the new Toronto store was looking. I like the Vancouver location quite a lot.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't see it! I do like the Vancouver store though. Did not realize that they carried Geller.

Cheers,

Fok.

Gavin

Reaction score
You also missed Lileo in the Distillery District. It's pricier than it should be, but almost everything is 50%+ off right now. Brands include APC, KMW, Jean Shop, Rag and Bone, Gilded Age, V::Room, and others that I'm forgetting.

kubrick555

Reaction score
Yeah Lileo is overpriced. I was debating getting some new cures there at 50% off, but I didn't like the cut on me.

J&0 also carries Chronicles of Never footwear and apparel, I bought a nice cardigan at 50% there just before Christmas.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
One interesting leatherworks brands that you see in a lot of retailers in Toronto that is not seen much in analogous stores in the States is

I thought this was going to refer to Brave Leather Co.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Lileo is overpriced. I was debating getting some new cures there at 50% off, but I didn't like the cut on me.

J&0 also carries Chronicles of Never footwear and apparel, I bought a nice cardigan at 50% there just before Christmas.

Just out of curiosity, what was the 50% off price?

phildo

Reaction score
I know that was a joke, but Over the Rainbow does carry a few decent non-douchebag brands.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regular $400, bought for $200.

Not for the sweater, for the APCs.

Last time I checked Ontario retailers of APC they were quoting about $270.

Just recently I saw that Gravity Pope's prices are on par with the States: $195 CAD (no sale - about 160 US).

So, I'm trying to gage where Canadian retailers are going with this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phildo
I know that was a joke, but Over the Rainbow does carry a few decent non-douchebag brands.

That is true, but I really don't like the merchandising. And while I respect that they want to make their money, there are other retailers in the area that eschew the easy money (I am thinking about UPC boutique and Uncle Otis.) Anti-Hero is also admirably focussed, though I really don't like 90% of the merchandise.

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Not for the sweater, for the APCs.

Last time I checked Ontario retailers of APC they were quoting about $270.

Just recently I saw that Gravity Pope's prices are on par with the States: $195 CAD (no sale - about 160 US).

So, I'm trying to gage where Canadian retailers are going with this.

If I remember correctly, Lileo was charging about $230 for APCs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads