• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interior Design

shoesies

Reaction score
I am renovating my living/dining room looking for some design advice.

I painted the walls Tavern Taupe (essentially light beige), and am thinking of a dark chocolate Canadian maple (clear grade), as well as chocolate brown leather sofa/chair/ottoman - the style of which I have selected, but not the leather color.

I love the European styling of antique black ironwork (think sconce candle hondles), romanesque chandeliers, gold celtic mirrors, and castle victorian finishings. This is my "parlour" - or castle - retreat, and therefore fully embrace an extremely masculine feel - as long as it flows and has the same theme throughout

Would it look appropriate to have dark chocolate floors, dark chocolate leather sofas, and antique black furniture/decor? The style of wood is black with gold showing through, similar to *5

If anyone has photos depicting the style of room I am talking about, please post them - I haven't had ANY luck searching google yet!

Photos:

*1 - Tavern Taupe, wall color - white crown molding and baseboards
MPC0030917-2T.jpg

*2 - similar to this, less grain and little darker
smSantaBarbaraChocolate.jpg

*3 Sofas I've decided on
prodfl948886_500.jpg

*4 Gold Mirror
AMWMF665G%20Gold%20Mirror%202%20CUT%20copy.jpg

*5 Antique Black wood, showing the gold/rustic look
EW517.jpg

Ironwork wall decor
1000111.jpg

Chandelier style
lpwrscene_4.jpg

Still need to select the leather color and make the order though. Not opposed to cognac tan, but think I would prefer a chocolate that will hide stains better (natural, untreated leather - although I do like well developed patina as well

So if anyone has any suggestions, or can link me to a site with similar design features that would be perfect.

Thanks,
Daniel

shoesies

Reaction score
51 views and no replies? surprised, as I thought a few of you might be interested in the same style

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The style may work with a lot of white (walls, cabinetry) but with the taupe walls, be careful not to transform your apartment in some sort of cavernous dungeon.

Hard for me to comment on your choices as they're not really my cup of tea but, looking at the SF Cribs thread, it's clear that SFers have widely different tastes.

shoesies

Reaction score
Not an apartment, standalone house with 3 floors, living & dining room ceiling height is 10ft with double crown moulding at the top.

I will be ordering sofa's today. I am going to have a good look at our hardwood sample compared to the furniture, however I have a feeling I will go with an ebony stained floor and dark brown leather on the sofa/chair/ottoman, similar to the photo attached.

I can throw a nice area rug in to brighten everything up once it's done, it should look good

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll side with gdl on this one, watch that it doesn't get too dark. My last place was dark wood floors /dark furniture, but walls were chalk white to contrast. I like dark on dark rooms, but those options seem to work well in bedrooms where a sense of enclosure can be a plus.

shoesies

Reaction score
Well I purchased the hardwood and ordered the seating.

I went with Canadian maple in burnished acorn, clear grade - it's dark brown with a hint of cognac/tan showing through.

The sofa is the model pictured above, chocolate untreated leather with ebony legs

bounce2.gif
Excited

shoesies

Reaction score
Also going to order a table/end table in this style, as well as stain our current dining room table and hutch rub-through black

Hooker_Preston_Ridge_Storage_Cocktail.jpg

shoesies

Reaction score
Well the hardwood is installed, and I recieved my sofa/chair/ottoman exactly 4 weeks to the day I ordered it. I'm extremely happy with the look and will work on finishing my current furniture to match the color scheme.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
51 views and no replies? surprised, as I thought a few of you might be interested in the same style

No, this isn't a style anyone on this forum is really that interested in.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

Well I assume he's going for a sort of modernized victorian cigar lounge. However these things are either original setting and furniture or bust IMHO.

shoesies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

Traditional, elegant, club-styled, man's parlour...etc?

shoesies

Reaction score
my previous furniture was eclectic victorian with rose colored button tuffted sofas, but now it's time to clean up my living space and modernize the traditional elements of the past.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
Traditional, elegant, club-styled, man's parlour...etc?

This is just my opinion so try not to take offense, but everything you've posted is more or less a typical Pasadena faux-antique Pottery Barn type stuff. You live in Toronto with some fantastic antique markets and you're buying this warehouse type stuff that to my eye just looks very cheesy. I am in the process of doing something similar to your man's parlour, but in a completely different way. What you're doing is more along the lines of something you'd see in a mid-market home catalogue, and if you look on SF, you'll see that most guys here are really into Modern.

If you enjoy it, that's great, it's all that matters. But I think to most here, what you're doing is kind of like having an entire wardrobe of Armani Collezioni and Hugo Boss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads