• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Conditioner Bad For Burnished Calf Shoes?

stills999

Reaction score
The Allen Edmond site has specific shoe care instructions for burnished calf. For burnished calf, it skips the step about using leather conditioner. Since leather conditioner is generally thought to help the shoes last longer, would it be a mistake to occassionally use leather conditioner for burnished calf? Could this ruin the shoes?

Below I've quoted from AE page....:

CALFSKIN, GALA SILK CALF, ANTIBES CALF & GRAIN LEATHERS
Use Allen-Edmonds conditioner/cleaner to remove surface residue and to keep leather soft and pliable. To achieve a fine luster, wipe shoes with a damp cloth and allow them to dry at room temperature. Then, apply a coat of Allen-Edmonds shoe cream or polish with a cotton flannel polishing cloth or horsehair dauber and allow to air dry. Remove excess polish by brushing with a horsehair brush and buff to a desired shine.

BURNISHED CALFSKIN
To remove the slight haze you may notice with a new pair of burnished calfskin shoes, wipe them with a soft cloth or brush with a horsehair brush. Clean regularly with a damp cloth and allow them to air dry. Then, using a soft cloth, apply a medium coat of Allen-Edmonds premium shoe polish in a suitable color and allow to air dry. Brush with a horsehair brush to remove excess polish and buff using a soft cotton flannel cloth.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ruin is a strong word, but now that you mention it, I once had a pair of burnished AEs that may have reacted badly to conditioning.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh heaven's. I can't tell the difference between my shoes. What is the difference gents?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Oh heaven's. I can't tell the difference between my shoes. What is the difference gents?

Don't worry about it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the AE premium polish was more or less dye + conditioner. Maybe they are not emphasizing conditioner because the burnished leather will not need it the way some of those other leathers do.

You should write to AE, ask their advice, and then post it here. They will get back to you with a good answer to this question.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
i would just pay someone, someone good, someone i have experience with/someone i trust, to clean them for me as opposed to me doing it myself.

i manage an apartment building part time, and the previous owners tried doing everything themselves to save money. now the place is falling apart cause they were bad at it. sometimes it's worth the money to hire labor.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbtbandit67
i would just pay someone, someone good, someone i have experience with/someone i trust, to clean them for me as opposed to me doing it myself. sometimes it's worth the money to hire labor.
i've paid people to polish shoes for me, my shoes look better after I do them myself, and I'm no expert at this stuff. the old-time quality shoe shine seems to be a dying art.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a few places in the city that do a better job than I ever have.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I wonder if the artificial finish isn't impenetrable to the conditioner. If so, props to AE for not trying to milk money out of the consumer by recommending conditioner anyway.

i think only corrected grain leather is impenetrable like that. I'm kicking myself for all the time and effort I wasted "polishing" my prada shoes. I wish someone would have told me its like plastic that wipes clean, it would have saved me alot of time.

stills999

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I was under the impression that the AE premium polish was more or less dye + conditioner. Maybe they are not emphasizing conditioner because the burnished leather will not need it the way some of those other leathers do.

You should write to AE, ask their advice, and then post it here. They will get back to you with a good answer to this question.

Good advice ... I contacted AE and will let you know...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
i think only corrected grain leather is impenetrable like that. I'm kicking myself for all the time and effort I wasted "polishing" my prada shoes. I wish someone would have told me its like plastic that wipes clean, it would have saved me alot of time.

Isn't burnished calf corrected grain? Or does AE use the term to mean something else?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Isn't burnished calf corrected grain? Or does AE use the term to mean something else?

I don't think it's corrected grain like AE's cobbler, or whatever they call it, but it is a burnished finish--the leather is buffed at high speed to create a certain finish on the leather. And it may be that after being burnished in this way, it is fairly impenetrable to conditioner. That is, I suspect, the implication of the care advice quoted above.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Polished Cobbler" is the AE corrected grain, burnished calf from AE is their hand stained (antiqued-ish) full grain leather.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
"Polished Cobbler" is the AE corrected grain, burnished calf from AE is their hand stained (antiqued-ish) full grain leather.

Is it really supposed to be antiqued? My recollection of my Kingsleys was that they were very "aniline-ish" in color, much more so than my brown Harrisons and Eversnow PAs, which have developed a really nice patina that the Kingsleys never did. But it could be that I misremember those as "burnished."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics