• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alcohol Stain on a Silk Tie?

naux

Reaction score
So my really nice silk tie had apple-tini spilled on it. It dried, and left an alcohol stain (darker color) on it, that doesn't look too bad or noticeable.

However, my main concern is that the sugars of the alcohol will rot over time, destroying my tie which should last for a long time. I read that dry cleaning my tie will also be bad for it. Given that 1/4 of the tie was soaked, what should I do?

This is my first nice tie, so I have an attachment to it. >.<

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try using some warm water and cleaning out the stain.

If that does not work, try using a very soft soap (e.g. baby soap) in very minimal quantities to see if that helps.

In either case, just let the tie dry out (you can use a hair dryer from a distance to aid the process).

If neither method works, I'd just have to say that you're outta luck.

Washing with a detergent, or dry cleaning, is a sure fire way to destroy a tie.

Personally, I'd just frame this one for posterity and buy a similar one to pacify your apple-tini drinking conscience.

naux

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, but ... is water safe for silk ties?

If the label on the tie says dry-cleaning is ok... should I just ignore all the warnings and just go for it? It is a ferragamo tie, so perhaps their silk is treated differently?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used water on my silk ties before without any problems. As long as you don't dip the whole damn bloody thing in a bucket full of water, you should be fine. Just apply water gently, and see if that works.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I've used water on my silk ties before without any problems. As long as you don't dip the whole damn bloody thing in a bucket full of water, you should be fine. Just apply water gently, and see if that works.
I've done the same with mixed results. Hopefully it'll work for you, but, unfortunately in my experience if the stain doesn't disappear then it probably won't ever come out. Dry cleaning ties has not worked for me.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

I've soaked ties and had no problems. I've found that as long as you dont agitate it, just bob it up and down a bit around the stain then its fine. Afterwards I laid the tie flat on a towel and it was dry and still perfectly shaped the next day.

montyharding

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much of the dry cleaning was a contributing factor but I did get a favourite tie dry cleaned which did the job, but the tie kind of fell apart not that long afterwards - defeating the object of cleaning it. As for the rest over the last 5 years I've worn ties less and less, plus I rotate / replace them quite often - so I can't say I've had any accidents which requires a clean.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Jos Banks sell little towellettes (like wet naps) that have dry cleaning solution in them. I have used them on ties with good results.

naux

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, looks like it is water or bust. Would rather live with the stain than have it destroyed.

Does anyone know if the sugars will rot over time?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My main concern is not the tie but rather WTF you were doing drinking an apple-tini.

naux

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
My main concern is not the tie but rather WTF you were doing drinking an apple-tini.

Good point, I was basically handed it by someone at a holiday party. Might as well finish it... didn't anticipate that the funny shaped cup made me 'miss' the rim and spill.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
+1 We can only hope that it was his date's.

aldica

Reaction score
DON'T TOUCH IT! There is a cleaner in NYC, Tie Crafters. They take the tie apart and clean it, repress it and return it. If you want to save your tie for future use, look them up on the Internet.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aldica
DON'T TOUCH IT! There is a cleaner in NYC, Tie Crafters. They take the tie apart and clean it, repress it and return it. If you want to save your tie for future use, look them up on the Internet.
YES YES YES www.tiecrafters.com There are many threads on dry cleaners and ties. Most have unhappy endings. If you try to fix the stain yourself, you'll just make it worse. If you send the tie to the corner dry cleaners, they might get the stain out, but then they'll press the tie and make it shiny. The lining will be compressed and the edges will be creased, when they should be "rolled". Tie Crafters is the only place I've experienced that knows how to properly clean a tie.

naux

Reaction score
beautiful, thank you! (just checked the site... sadly, they seem to have a 4 tie minimum. looks like i'll have to wear out 3 more ties)

does anyone know anything about Peninou?

http://www.peninou.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads