• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Luca Brasi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
The buttons just fall all over the place. Get someone to redo the buttons

Seconded. I have a few Zara shirts, like 5 or 6, and at least 3 have lost a button or more.

VolsVolsVols

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDiesel
need help here/

I'd have to say that someone your height and weight might find a classic fit 15 to be a touch slim in the shoulders and through the chest, and the fact that the only sleeve length for the size 15 currently in stock is a 33 simply serves to compound your predicament.

I'd suggest trying to find custom fit shirts in size 15.5 (34/35 sleeve length if available, but certain styles don't mark the sleeve length for custom fit), since I believe it would suit your frame better than a classic fit shirt in size 15.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDiesel
need help here/
Yeah, you sound fairly tall and thin - so with that shirt your sleeves will be too short, the yoke (may) be too narrow, and the waist will be too baggy for you. The sleeve's will also be too wide and the shirt will be a little too short so it will not stay tucked in properly. Pretty much, this shirt will fail you in all dimensions, providing the ultimate in compromise. I could be wrong though. I don't know your measurements and I have not measured that exact RL cut. Although anything "classic" is usually cut like a box.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Actually, this is true. I just bought this for the sale price of $30:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.aspx/!15978

It looks VERY similar to a Hugo Boss shirt that retails for $125. The Boss shirt is a little more slim and creates a better silhouette, but I can get the TML shirt above altered - and still save about $75!!!

Also, the TML's collar is more stiff than the Boss collar. I don't think the latter will stand up to more than 3-4 washes.

Part of the problem is that companies like Hugo Boss - really most of the big brands - have chosen to invest more in marketing and branding than in manufacturing. Thus, many of the "luxury" brands products are not particularly high quality - Using Hugo Boss production quality as the standard could be setting the bar a little low.

Regardless, I am curious. Could someone please post pictures of these TM Lewin shirts? I'm interested to see the fabric, as well as the collar. Stiffer collars are not necessarily a sign of quality - so what is the shape like? Does it have a nice roll around the neck? Are the stitches really tight and uniform?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are you able to get Hugo Boss-type fits on your altered or tailored shirts?
We can make Hugo Boss Fits - no problem. So far, the only brand/sizes I've had trouble matching are Kenneth Cole New York XL (which has an 18.5" neck with a 23.75" chest width) and Ben Sherman Large SOHO Fit (which has a 16.75" neck and a 20.75" body). Of course, our library of shirt sizes is still growing and I'm sure we'll find others we can't copy.

Honestly, I'm not sure why these shirts come with such enormous collar measurements and small chest widths. I have yet to meet a customer that needed sizes in combination this extreme.

Talbina

Reaction score
Hello Seph,

I understand your shirts don't come with mother or perl buttons. Maybe you should put that option, for 10-15 dollars extra. I looked around and they cost 1.65 per button. Not really sure how many buttons does a shirt have.

Talbina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
Part of the problem is that companies like Hugo Boss - really most of the big brands - have chosen to invest more in marketing and branding than in manufacturing. Thus, many of the "luxury" brands products are not particularly high quality - Using Hugo Boss production quality as the standard could be setting the bar a little low.

Hi,

Would you say the same things for brands such as Canali...about quality of shirts not so good, but only lots of marketing/branding? Im not trying to question you, im honestly trying to learn. I also took a loot at some Boss shirts, I don't understand why they go for 200.

thanks

hamm23

Reaction score
Any pics of the TM Lewin slim fit or classic shirts? I just ordered a slim fit york and Im a bit afraid the chest and waist may be too slim, I guess I can always return it. I'll be extremely pleased if it works as Ive been searching for shirts and most offerings fit me terrible in the 16.5" neck that I need.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23
Any pics of the TM Lewin slim fit or classic shirts? I just ordered a slim fit york and Im a bit afraid the chest and waist may be too slim, I guess I can always return it. I'll be extremely pleased if it works as Ive been searching for shirts and most offerings fit me terrible in the 16.5" neck that I need.

You want pics off the website (links to their website) or do you want pics of someone actually wearing them? I received my first order of shirts from them and have only worn one once so far (in fact, am wearing one today).

This is the one I received and am wearing right now:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.aspx/!27808

It fit well on the collar and shoulders, but was a little fuller on the sides. I had it altered and now I can't tell the difference between it and a Hugo Boss fit, for example. Total cost of shirt and alteration: $50.

I will have to wash it a few times before I know whether it will shrink or not, but line drying is a better option than tumble drying.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...many of the "luxury" brands products are not particularly high quality - Using Hugo Boss production quality as the standard could be setting the bar a little low.
You are not kidding on this one!

Stiffer collars are not necessarily a sign of quality
True, but my point was that a collar that is stiff enough to stay in shape after washing is a lot better than one that curls up, which seems to be the problem with many shirts.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talbina
Would you say the same things for brands such as Canali...about quality of shirts not so good, but only lots of marketing/branding?

I think brands like Canali/Zagna have customer base that is quite knowledgable about fabric, quality, etc. and they don't need to market their products like the fashion brands do.

I also took a loot at some Boss shirts, I don't understand why they go for 200.

Now THAT'S marketing, pure and simple. They are selling their name and image more than quality. I don't even want to think about the money I have spent over the last 3-4 years on Boss shirts that lost shape, crumpled and had collars curl up after only 4-5 washes.

Speaking of over-priced items, I was returning a Boss shirt I had bought and saw a pair of brown shoes in their store, really ugly (and I mean UGLY!!!), square-toed, very low-quality leather (felt like plastic), made in India, retailing for $300+. What a rip-off!!!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23

It's definitely not slim slim - more of right between slim and classic in my eyes.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think brands like Canali/Zagna have customer base that is quite knowledgable about fabric, quality, etc. and they don't need to market their products like the fashion brands do.

Now THAT'S marketing, pure and simple. They are selling their name and image more than quality. I don't even want to think about the money I have spent over the last 3-4 years on Boss shirts that lost shape, crumpled and had collars curl up after only 4-5 washes.

Speaking of over-priced items, I was returning a Boss shirt I had bought and saw a pair of brown shoes in their store, really ugly (and I mean UGLY!!!), square-toed, very low-quality leather (felt like plastic), made in India, retailing for $300+. What a rip-off!!!

I like my Boss Black shirts, and they seem to last so far, but I definitely wouldn't pay more than $60 or so per shirt, just not worth it in my eyes.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
It's definitely not slim slim - more of right between slim and classic in my eyes.

You can have them altered to fit the way you want.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also took a loot at some Boss shirts, I don't understand why they go for 200.

I just bought this shirt from TM Lewin for $25:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.aspx/!15978

I saw an identical one (the blue stripes were just a tad brighter) at Boss retailing for $125. I held them side-by-side and compared the fabrics. The TM Lewin fabric seemed to be sturdier. Its collar was also more stiff (indicating it will probably hold up after washing better than the Boss shirt).

As I had said earlier, the TM Lewin shirt fitted a little fuller, so I had it tailored and it now fits about the same as that overpriced Boss shirt did - all for less than $50, including ths shirt and tailoring.

I am not going into a Boss store again...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics