• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Averna Amaro to settle the stomach.
Originally Posted by Alter
Huntsman...your notes on the Mortlach are poetic. I am off on a liquor run tomorrow with the target of the Craganmore Distillers...and I shall keep my eye out for that Mortlach as well.
<laughs> Thanks....I tend to get a little passionate.
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
At the moment I'm enjoying a goblet of Chimay Blue. It's been a few months since I've last had. Somewhat dry, a bit of apricot fruitiness and some cheesiness as expected, and then there are also distinct caramel undertones I never fully appreciated in the past. The Blue is simply amazing. Each time I come back to it, there's always something new I catch in its profile. Once again, aces all around.
You know, I'm not really a beer guy, but it's rather hard to not appreciate Chimay Blue. It's pretty yummy, and one of the only two beers I stock, the other being Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

indy116

Reaction score
Decided to stop by the store and pick up a 12 pack of Heineken today. Not sure why as I haven't had it in YEARS. Enjoying it.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You know, I'm not really a beer guy, but it's rather hard to not appreciate Chimay Blue. It's pretty yummy, and one of the only two beers I stock, the other being Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.
If you can get your hands on some Hobgoblin ale (an import from England's Wychwood Brewery, sounds silly I know), give it a try. I'm not a huge beer drinker either, but the maltiness and caramel and roasted nut flavors of Hobgoblin on the palate are simply fantastic. ----------------------- Tonight I felt like indulging, so after an intense workout and a spartan meal I allowed myself the decadent one-two punch of Zaya Gran Reserva and chocolate torte. Zaya is a 12-year-old Guatemalan rum . . . or at least it used to be. And that's the problem. Earlier this year, without prior warning or fanfare, production of Zaya moved from Guatemala to Trinidad. The rum disappeared from store shelves for a while as the old stocks were depleted. When rum lovers learned of the impending switch, they bought up as much of the Guatemalan nectar as they could. One guy, no doubt envisioning a long swashbuckling life for himself, admitted on a rum board that he had bunkered fifty bottles. I had been living my life happily oblivious to these developments until late October; by then the damage was done, and the old Zaya was practically nowhere to be found. The new concoction which appeared in the fall was bottled in exactly the same manner as before; the only indication that something had changed was the name of the country following the phrase "Imported Rum From" on the label. The new Zaya, while still a great rum for the price (can be found for $29.99), suffers in comparison to its original. It is altogether less complex and lighter-bodied, and has a shorter finish. Though some drinkers claim to enjoy and even prefer it to the old Zaya, I do not fall into this camp. Not only do I find the old Zaya objectively superior but it has acquired sentimental value for me. It was with a glass of Zaya in my hand that I rang in the last New Year. It was with Zaya that I once deglazed my pan after cooking some exquisite veal. And so, having been reminded of what every connoisseur eventually learns -- that long familiarity with our favorites lends to them a greater value which in turn bequeaths a greater enjoyment -- I gritted my teeth against these imposters with familiar packaging and began hunting for the old, the true Zaya. Surely a store in my area must still have a few bottles. And one did. I won't bore you with any more details; suffice it to say that I got my hands on another bottle of the good stuff, though at a premium. There may yet be a chance to get another in the near future, but for now I have only this bottle and what's left of an old one -- a mere 1000ml to enjoy for the future. Zaya would be a rum to savor under any conditions; given its rarity, it's become truly a special pour for myself. The chance to pair it with my sister-in-law's chocolate torte was too good to pass up. As always, I apologize for the bad cell phone picture. A digital camera is one thing (among many) which I haven't yet found sufficient reason to buy.
9437aa7c9c6a9f04d0d8e2f9e6a487896g.jpg
And now, with no thought of rivaling Huntsman's stellar Mortlach post, I offer my tasting notes for the Guatemalan original of Zaya Gran Reserva. Color: Dark mahogany. Very dark. Nose: Sweet and woody. I get caramel, barrel oak, toffee, coconut; a sweet mixture of honey, molasses, brown sugar. Hints of what is to come. No single note overpowers the others. Palate: Rich and thick with flavors, most of which were present in the nose: caramel and molasses, dry wood, even a little vanilla. Though I'm sure my inexpert taste buds are missing things here. Very well-balanced, keeps revealing new layers in the mouth. Each sip is an explosion of dark sensual pleasure. Definitely has some burn and the finish is long and spicy. Add a little water and it blooms . . . lot of molasses and honey now, some coconut and vanilla, smoother and lighter on the tongue, more drinkable yet not quite as complex . . . the spiciness has diminished and the burn is almost gone, which is either a tragedy or a boon depending on your taste. The balanced construction remains and the finish is now on dark fruit more than spice. Very sippable either way. I often drink it neat, though a few drops of water or an ice cube work well. Needless to say my taste buds were singing like the Hoos down in Hooville at the combination of this rum and the chocolate torte. Score: 90 points Although I do know of rums more advanced in years, and have yet to sample all of them, Zaya is my all-around favorite thus far. It is every inch the equal of Zacapa 23, and if I had to award the palm to one over the other, it would go to Zaya. Zacapa is slightly sweeter while Zaya is more complex and full-bodied, which is my preference. If you're a rum drinker and happen to find a bottle of this stuff, I recommend you buy it without hesitation. Or maybe there's a bar in your area which still has an old bottle on its shelves from which they can pour you a glass. I know I'll enjoy every last drop of mine . . . until it's gone.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished an '06 Ridgepoint reisling

Now back to my regularly scheduled cheap Argentinian malbec ...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roche Redonne Bandol 1998

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
daniel.jpg
The 2005. For $25 a bottle, and Canadian eh, to boot, it'd be nice. It certainly has a good rep. For $51 it was a joke! Never again.
moetnectar.jpg
Outstanding, as usual. My favourite everyday Champagne. X2

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
soup, nursing myself back to life after last night....

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody like Hornsby's Hard Cider? I recently discovered the stuff and it's great. I can down like 3 or 4 of them in a matter of 15 minutes.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hobgoblin dark English ale. Mmm malty.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Had some of this last, not bad for my second Irish
127.jpg

Never liked Jameson ...

Have you ever tried the Jameson 18? It's pretty well regarded by pretty much everyone I know who's had it. I love it, but I don't like the regular 12 yr all that well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads